JL 0513

They already are safer than cars driven by human per mile traveled.

Let's stop with the liability issues and all the other bs you close minded people think will stop this from happening.

What happens in the everyday scenario of a cop directing traffic on a one lane road?

10092732-large.jpg

The car will know sign language? And it will know to drive on the wrong side of the road when needed? There's millions of unique scenarios that can't be planned for.

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
We are talking billions of tiny microchips at pennies each. Sure it's awhile into the future but not as far as many thing. My daughter just turned 1. I'll be shocked if she ever drives a vehicle. Makes me kind of sad honestly.
She definitely won't be driving a manual transmission that's for sure

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
All while making minimum wage because everybody is doing it
Lolwut? It would be a much more skilled and specialized job than anything currently at your typical UPS center. Not only that, there will be those who will either refuse to or simply be unable to adapt, and they will just be left behind to cry about the robots taking their jobs.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
This thread reminded me of a hilarious story I had saved on my computer from a long time ago. Author, I have no Idea.

----------------------

It's the year 2025. I get up to go to work and grab the keys to my vintage 1995 Honda Civic. As I start the car, alarms suddenly start ringing.

"MANUAL CAR ALERT! MANUAL CAR ALERT!"

Self-driving Google cars cruising past my driveway suddenly stop and transform into gender neutral Police Bots.

"STOP RIGHT THERE, CIS SCUM! DRIVING NON-SELF-DRIVING CARS IS ILLEGAL"

I slam my shifter into reverse and shoot out of there faster than Elliot Rodger at a social gathering. The Police Bots transform back into self-driving Google cars and begin chasing me. As I approach 90km/h, the Google cars fall far behind as they can only go up to 40km/h. Just when I think I'm in the clear, suddenly my engine stops running. My speakers exclaim:

"You seem to have Police pursuing this vehicle. Shutting down."

:censored2:, I forgot about the computer chip that every manual car had to have installed into it by Google. Out of nowhere a Google self-driving car smashes into me because they are not programmed to calculate every scenario. Disoriented with mild whiplash, I see Police Bots speeding my way. I close my eyes and take a deep sigh. This is how I'm going to die. I light up my last cigarette. The Police Bots have me surrounded.

"YOU ARE UNDER ARREST FOR DRIVING A VEHICLE AND SMOKING NICOTINE. YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO REM--"

Suddenly, a 1976 Pontiac Trans Am rams through the Police Bots. The smoke clears and the stranger winds his wind down. It's Burt Reynolds!

"You might want to get in here, kid."

I get in the car and we drive into the desert where Burt tells me that a resistance group is forming. This is my home now.

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
This thread reminded me of a hilarious story I had saved on my computer from a long time ago. Author, I have no Idea.

----------------------

It's the year 2025. I get up to go to work and grab the keys to my vintage 1995 Honda Civic. As I start the car, alarms suddenly start ringing.

"MANUAL CAR ALERT! MANUAL CAR ALERT!"

Self-driving Google cars cruising past my driveway suddenly stop and transform into gender neutral Police Bots.

"STOP RIGHT THERE, CIS SCUM! DRIVING NON-SELF-DRIVING CARS IS ILLEGAL"

I slam my shifter into reverse and shoot out of there faster than Elliot Rodger at a social gathering. The Police Bots transform back into self-driving Google cars and begin chasing me. As I approach 90km/h, the Google cars fall far behind as they can only go up to 40km/h. Just when I think I'm in the clear, suddenly my engine stops running. My speakers exclaim:

"You seem to have Police pursuing this vehicle. Shutting down."

:censored2:, I forgot about the computer chip that every manual car had to have installed into it by Google. Out of nowhere a Google self-driving car smashes into me because they are not programmed to calculate every scenario. Disoriented with mild whiplash, I see Police Bots speeding my way. I close my eyes and take a deep sigh. This is how I'm going to die. I light up my last cigarette. The Police Bots have me surrounded.

"YOU ARE UNDER ARREST FOR DRIVING A VEHICLE AND SMOKING NICOTINE. YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO REM--"

Suddenly, a 1976 Pontiac Trans Am rams through the Police Bots. The smoke clears and the stranger winds his wind down. It's Burt Reynolds!

"You might want to get in here, kid."

I get in the car and we drive into the desert where Burt tells me that a resistance group is forming. This is my home now.
Must be from Canada 90km /h. Smh

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
What happens in the everyday scenario of a cop directing traffic on a one lane road?

10092732-large.jpg

The car will know sign language? And it will know to drive on the wrong side of the road when needed? There's millions of unique scenarios that can't be planned for.
Computers are now advanced enough that they are creating their own language but yeah they could never figure that out.

raceanoncr

Personnel guy when I got hired off the street for a feeder job (which didn't happen for a few years) in 70s told me the company didn't LIKE feeders, didn't WANT feeders and feeders didn't make them any money, cuz they weren't humping boxes.

clean hairy

1 parking spot, 2 self driving cars.
How will the self driving cars communicate to determine which gets the spot, and which one moves on?
Will the humans in the cars get out and start arguing as to who should get the spot?

edd_tv

Cardboard picker upper
The iterations of driverless trucks I've seen, that I think will have the highest likelihood of success, has been designed for use only on the interstate and only in dedicated lanes. Sorta like HOV lanes built specifically for the autonomous vehicles. And only certain routes between cities. The builders seem to think the cost to put the equipment in an existing highway will come down enough in the next few years to be worth the investment.

I mean you kind of already havethat setup with railroad tracks, but what do I know. And I haven't seen completely autonomous trains yet, so....

Brownslave688

1 parking spot, 2 self driving cars.
How will the self driving cars communicate to determine which gets the spot, and which one moves on?
Will the humans in the cars get out and start arguing as to who should get the spot?
No the humans will get let off at the front door then the car will go park.

Boy some of you have no vision at all.

Brownslave688

The iterations of driverless trucks I've seen, that I think will have the highest likelihood of success, has been designed for use only on the interstate and only in dedicated lanes. Sorta like HOV lanes built specifically for the autonomous vehicles. And only certain routes between cities. The builders seem to think the cost to put the equipment in an existing highway will come down enough in the next few years to be worth the investment.

I mean you kind of already havethat setup with railroad tracks, but what do I know. And I haven't seen completely autonomous trains yet, so....

Infrastructure is certainly a bigger hurdle than the technology itself.

J92

Feeder drivers could never get replaced. They supply the demand for those ladies working the corner and third part trucking companies. As far as the truck/car goes, yea, there replaceable

JL 0513

Who gets out of the driverless truck to meet with the receiver and arrange which dock to pull into?

How does the receiver know what to take off the trailer when there's multiple deliveries on the truck?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
"The horse is here to stay but the automobile is only a novelty - a fad." - The president of the Michigan Savings Bank advising Henry Ford's lawyer, Horace Rackham, not to invest in the Ford Motor Co., 1903

People who bet against technological advances usually wind up being wrong.