Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
The fact that you guys don't think a computer can handle the scenario or that wifi isn't fast enough is hilarious.

Until it can be demonstrated that it can, it can't.

And no Wi-Fi is instant. Hell, the Wi-Fi in our tractors runs at dial-up speeds.

oldngray

nowhere special

And no Wi-Fi is instant. Hell, the Wi-Fi in our tractors runs at dial-up speeds.

Those things work in perfectly controlled conditions. Not even close to being ready for the real world. Technology would have to get a lot smarter first.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I had a 50" flat screen TV residential delivery yesterday. Homeowner was not home and the screen door to their foyer was locked. Ended up walking around back, lifting it over the fence and placing it on their rear deck. I'd like to see a robot handle a delivery like that.

People won't be paying for deliveries like that. If what you did was figured into a delivery price, people would pay for the cheaper option.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

No human is instant either. Now I'm not talking ups feeders but I think a majority of people would be glad to take drivers out from behind the wheel of semi trucks.

Why? Because generally they are terrible drivers!!!!

Brownslave688

I had a 50" flat screen TV residential delivery yesterday. Homeowner was not home and the screen door to their foyer was locked. Ended up walking around back, lifting it over the fence and placing it on their rear deck. I'd like to see a robot handle a delivery like that.
It would just put it by the front door.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
No human is instant either. Now I'm not talking ups feeders but I think a majority of people would be glad to take drivers out from behind the wheel of semi trucks.

From what I see on a daily basis the general public are much worse drivers than semi drivers. Overall you have a few really bad semi drivers but by percentage car drivers are 10x worse. IMO

Brownslave688

From what I see on a daily basis the general public are much worse drivers than semi drivers. Overall you have a few really bad semi drivers but by percentage car drivers are 10x worse. IMO
Oh don't get me wrong the general public sucks at driving too. Lol

The thing is the percentage of traffic that is truck traffic has blown up. And with more of them on the road people notice more.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit

Problem is the megas are all driver mills who will take anybody with a pulse to drive.

Indecisi0n

If they can make a tractor drive itself how come they can't make a sex robot to please me, make a sandwich then leave me alone?!

Last edited:

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Problem is the megas are all driver mills who will take anybody with a pulse to drive.

Yep. In my retirement gig, I do lots of interstate (actually between states) driving, and it seems to me that for the most part the independents are more responsible.

Probably because their money and livelihoods are tied up in their rigs.

Trackless in brown

I think 2050 would be more fully autonomous vehicle + some sort of no-human delivery to the door method. That part might not even have been invented yet.

Whatever UPS starts with more towards 2025 will only be semi-autonomous, but drivers are gonna take a pay cut.
by 2050 most people on this web site will be dead....who cares

Foamer Pyle

Just remember where all us high seniority feeder drivers will have to bump to when our jobs are eliminated....
I will be retired before there is any bumping going on, and would love to see a high seniority feeder driver deliver packages in the heat of summer. I would give em a couple weeks at most, the fat couldn’t burn off fast enough.

over9five

Staff member
I will be retired before there is any bumping going on, and would love to see a high seniority feeder driver deliver packages in the heat of summer. I would give em a couple weeks at most, the fat couldn’t burn off fast enough.
Dont worry, kid. We'll get those stop counts back down where they belong!