Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
They just ended feeders in my building. Sucks.

That's the nature of this company right now. I'm assuming you are in a smaller hub. I'm in a very large hub, that is only getting bigger. We just keep picking up jobs from smaller centers. It's really good for us, not so good for drivers in smaller hubs.

Dracula

Personnel guy when I got hired off the street for a feeder job (which didn't happen for a few years) in 70s told me the company didn't LIKE feeders, didn't WANT feeders and feeders didn't make them any money, cuz they weren't humping boxes.

Trust me, they make a LOT of money on feeders.

Dracula

I can't remember where I saw it, but there was a demonstration of semi-autonomous tractor-trailers driving down a road. It was three or four separate rigs, running nose to tail, in an effort to get better fuel mileage. By nose to tail, I mean that literally. They only had a few feet between the tractor and the trailer in front of it. Apparently, they were connected by Wi-Fi.

This was in a perfect world scenario. In the real world, I can see a lot of problems with this scenario. First, I know of no Wi-Fi connection that is fast enough to prevent a major crash if the front tractor had to jam on the brakes. Someone might say, "But they will be in a dedicated traffic lane." But that fact is, real world driving has many scenarios where a tractor has to react, immediately, to a situation in front of it, and only a fly-by-wire system would have the time to react without causing a major smash-up.

Second, if a problem occurs with a tractor behind the front one, or the front tractor, you immediately have a road jam. It's not like there is a driver that can come out of the vehicle to address a problem.

A finally, we are talking about roads that would to be created, or heavily modified. How is that going to be paid for? This country has a huge need for existing infrastructure improvement, and no seemingly way fix it. We currently have a Congress that finds it impossible do what it WANTS to do. Despite the fact that interest rates are at historic lows, there is no desire to use those rates to fix our infrastructure, as it stands now.

I'm not saying trucking automation won't happen. I just believe it is farther down the road than many want to admit.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I can't remember where I saw it, but there was a demonstration of semi-autonomous tractor-trailers driving down a road. It was three or four separate rigs, running nose to tail, in an effort to get better fuel mileage. By nose to tail, I mean that literally. They only had a few feet between the tractor and the trailer in front of it. Apparently, they were connected by Wi-Fi.

This was in a perfect world scenario. In the real world, I can see a lot of problems with this scenario. First, I know of no Wi-Fi connection that is fast enough to prevent a major crash if the front tractor had to jam on the brakes. Someone might say, "But they will be in a dedicated traffic lane." But that fact is, real world driving has many scenarios where a tractor has to react, immediately, to a situation in front of it, and only a fly-by-wire system would have the time to react without causing a major smash-up.

Second, if a problem occurs with a tractor behind the front one, or the front tractor, you immediately have a road jam. It's not like there is a driver that can come out of the vehicle to address a problem.

A finally, we are talking about roads that would to be created, or heavily modified. How is that going to be paid for? This country has a huge need for existing infrastructure improvement, and no seemingly way fix it. We currently have a Congress that finds it impossible do what it WANTS to do. Despite the fact that interest rates are at historic lows, there is no desire to use those rates to fix our infrastructure, as it stands now.

I'm not saying trucking automation won't happen. I just believe it is farther down the road than many want to admit.
These scenarios you guys make up just crack
Me up.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.

That sounds like a train.

Box Ox

There are 6 levels of self-driving car autonomy: 0 (regular car) to 5 (completely autonomous). Right now the semi-autonomous cars on the road are generally Level 2 at best. With Level 3 models being released next year. But Level 3s generally aren't considered safe because drivers might not be ready to take over. So most car makers are skipping them. Level 4 should arrive by 2021.

Level 5 might be a decade away. But Nvidia did recently announce that it's created a chipset ("Pegasus") that could run a Level 5 car. But the current software-side limitations for Levels 4 and 5 are still there.

Semi-autonomous vehicles might affect UPSers under the 2023 or 2028 contracts. 2033 at the latest. Lots of companies are pouring tonnnnns of resources into the development of this stuff right now.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
How come none of this autonomy and drone delivery was used in Puerto Rico? Or any of the other Hurricane affected areas this year? I'll tell you why. The only drone delivering anything is the taco you shot out of your asses this morning.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Read an article this morning where New York state said it needed $27B to repair all of their structurally deficient/compromised bridges.

Indecisi0n

The fact that you guys don't think a computer can handle the scenario or that wifi isn't fast enough is hilarious.
I just read and article that said just that but with the release of 5G (not out yet) they believe it might be fast enough. They can't use wifi for security and range issues. They need to communicate with the trucks via satellite and then comes range/speed/ interference issues.

Brownslave688

I just read and article that said just that but with the release of 5G (not out yet) they believe it might be fast enough. They can't use wifi for security and range issues. They need to communicate with the trucks via satellite and then comes range/speed/ interference issues.
5g I believe is to be 4x faster than your average wifi.

It'll be here in 2 years.

Obviously we have a little ways to go but I see it being a lot closer to 2025 than the 2050 some ppl on here think.

Indecisi0n

Obviously we have a little ways to go but I see it being a lot closer to 2025 than the 2050 some ppl on here think.
I don't think it will go commercial by 2025. There are so many legal questions unanswered.

Brownslave688

I don't think it will go commercial by 2025. There are so many legal questions unanswered.
Not really. They've answered most of them already. That's why we have them test driving millions of miles right now.

It's come down to public acceptance. And I didn't say by 2025. I said a lot closer to 2025 than 2050.

Box Ox

I think 2050 would be more fully autonomous vehicle + some sort of no-human delivery to the door method. That part might not even have been invented yet.

Whatever UPS starts with more towards 2025 will only be semi-autonomous, but drivers are gonna take a pay cut.

Brownslave688

I think 2050 would be more fully autonomous vehicle + some sort of no-human delivery to the door method. That part might not even have been invented yet.

Whatever UPS starts with more towards 2025 will only be semi-autonomous, but drivers are gonna take a pay cut.
Yeah and I'm
Not necessarily taking ups. I just mean self driving cars.

Although the feeder department will be much easier to replace than package delivery.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I had a 50" flat screen TV residential delivery yesterday. Homeowner was not home and the screen door to their foyer was locked. Ended up walking around back, lifting it over the fence and placing it on their rear deck. I'd like to see a robot handle a delivery like that.

Box Ox

I had a 50" flat screen TV residential delivery yesterday. Homeowner was not home and the screen door to their foyer was locked. Ended up walking around back, lifting it over the fence and placing it on their rear deck. I'd like to see a robot handle a delivery like that.

No problem for the 2050 robot!