OrionsBitch

Not...
I think self driving anything is much further than the hype articles suggest. Much much further.....so far I'm not even concerned.

It's one thing to have a few successful tests, it's another thing to have millions on roads shared by humans....it would be a nightmare. Mark my words.
Tesla and Mercedes both have self driving cars on the road right now. Just saying

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Tesla and Mercedes both have self driving cars on the road right now. Just saying
Semi autonomous.
Like most technologies it's going to make the job easier, hopefully safer, and probably increase productivity.

It's not going to take a worker out of the picture entirely. A bigger concern would be job elimination from technology linking trucks, one driver in a lead vehicle monitoring a system for a caravan of loads. I'm not sure that's a problem though considering there's a huge trucker shortage.

fedx

Extra Large Package
You would think they would be pushing driver-less cars before driver-less semis, but the globalists want to pursue semis first. Apparently the globalists think they can make massive profits getting rid of truck drivers, so semis take priority over cars. I don't know about you, but I won't feel very comfortable seeing an empty cab of a semi behind me or passing me. Plus it would seem creepy.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
You would think they would be pushing driver-less cars before driver-less semis, but the globalists want to pursue semis first. Apparently the globalists think they can make massive profits getting rid of truck drivers, so semis take priority over cars. I don't know about you, but I won't feel very comfortable seeing an empty cab of a semi behind me or passing me. Plus it would seem creepy.
The globalists you say?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Who gets out of the driverless truck to meet with the receiver and arrange which dock to pull into?

How does the receiver know what to take off the trailer when there's multiple deliveries on the truck?
You seriously think if vehicles can drive themselves that these things will be issues...

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Semis save the most money and they do 90% of their traveling on the highway.

GameCockFan

The technology is coming. The argument is only when, not how or if. Technological advances don't occur in a linear fashion, they advance in an exponential way.

clean hairy

When a driverless truck slides off the road into a ditch, (which will happen at some point) who gets charged with an avoidable accident, when no one is inside the truck.
Does it send out a distress signal "help! I slid into a ditch and can't get out!"

fedx

Extra Large Package
Or, "Been hit by a truck with a human driver after the company negligently failed to replace him with a much safer autonomous vehicle? Give us a cha-ching ring!"

Semis save the most money and they do 90% of their traveling on the highway.

But there are 100 times as many cars out there which would be a bigger market for their technology to be used. A driverless semi accident would cause more carnage than a driverless car wreck just due to the size and weight difference.

Box Ox

The technology is coming. The argument is only when, not how or if. Technological advances don't occur in a linear fashion, they advance in an exponential way.

The US Postal Service Is Working on Self-Driving Mail Trucks

"The post office has partnered with the University of Michigan to build what it’s calling an Autonomous Rural Delivery Vehicle, which it wants to launch on 28,000 rural routes nationwide as early as 2025.

In this vision, the postal worker sits behind the wheel but lets the truck do the driving, sorting mail and stuffing letters and packages into mail boxes while rolling down the street. Eliminating the need to constantly park the vehicle, get out, then get back in and get back to driving would yield, the report says, “small but cumulatively significant time savings.”

This being a semiautonomous mail truck, the driver would have to be ready to take over control at all times. In the beginning, researchers say, this will be especially important while navigating from the post office to the beginning of the postal route, and while navigating intersections.

If all goes according to plan, the USPS will pilot 10 prototypes on rural routes in 2019, leading up to that full-scale, countrywide rural deployment between 2022 and 2025. The mail people also say they plan to look into city deliveries and building fully driverless vehicles, the kind that don't need steering wheels or pedals."

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
To be fully autonomous there would need to be a lot more monitoring done on both tractor and trailer. I would imagine all tires would need to be monitored for air pressure and trailer axles would need to be monitored for heat. I've seen two hub/axle fires going down the highway and it's scary to think what will happen when they pull over.

If this ever happens I would imagine it would start on turpikes. I think the Ohio/Indiana turnpike allows triples and they have staging areas at the beginning and end because triples can't be pulled anywhere else in those states. Tractor drives itself a few hundred miles across those states to the staging area and drivers breakdown the sets and take it from there.

By the time this happens we will be out of jobs anyways... Amazon is getting into delivery. :)