I just read briefly over the proposed contract. It appears that the union has decided to push even harder to create full time jobs. I can understand this to an extent.
There are union employees that do not want to work full time. In fact this had been a great resource for people who are looking for a part time job that pays well and has benefits. People who have businesses, go to school, spouses that can't work full time, people with disabilities etc.
In the unions push to create more full time jobs they are not properly representing the part time work force.
Each new contract keeps trying to weed out part time jobs!
In my case I am a part time air driver. (23 years)

Specifically article 40 section 1
The proposed contract could basically eliminate my job (position).

I was under the impression that the union dues I pay to the teamsters was supposed to represent me, not cause me to potentially lose my job (position).

Any part timer reading this should look carefully at what this contract is trying to do to you. Make your own decisions but you have an equal vote, just the same a a full time employee.
As a part timer I encourage you to read the proposal and let your union representatives know how you feel and how your likely to vote!!!

P.S. keep in mind that reducing part time workers actually reduces the number of jobs or in this case the number of workers. Less workers mean less benefits to be paid...which is a major issue right now......I really question the unions interest on this.

I just read briefly over the proposed contract. It appears that the union has decided to push even harder to create full time jobs. I can understand this to an extent.
There are union employees that do not want to work full time. In fact this had been a great resource for people who are looking for a part time job that pays well and has benefits. People who have businesses, go to school, spouses that can't work full time, people with disabilities etc.
In the unions push to create more full time jobs they are not properly representing the part time work force.

I was under the impression that the union dues I pay to the teamsters was supposed to represent me, not cause me to potentially lose my job (position).

Any part timer reading this should look carefully at what this contract is trying to do to you. Make your own decisions but you have an equal vote, just the same a a full time employee.
As a part timer I encourage you to read the proposal and let your union representatives know how you feel and how your likely to vote!!!

P.S. keep in mind that reducing part time workers actually reduces the number of jobs or in this case the number of workers. Less workers mean less benefits to be paid...which is a major issue right now......I really question the unions interest on this.
Just a Union negotiating tactic. More for internal use to look like they care about more FT jobs.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

Years back, a lot of the hub work was full timers.

opie

I noticed that as well. Much of Article 40 was crossed out. Which made it seem that they want Early AM deliveries and PM letterboxes to be done up by FT drivers or 22.3. Which essentially eliminates the PT air driver position.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge

will with tuesday to saturday shifts coming into play, they wont need or be using air drivers that much anymore

I noticed that as well. Much of Article 40 was crossed out. Which made it seem that they want Early AM deliveries and PM letterboxes to be done up by FT drivers or 22.3. Which essentially eliminates the PT air driver position.
They want the air drivers gone pay the full time drivers a little more and save a ton on benefits

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Pretty much been that way for the past 8 years around here. No more part time air drivers. Don’t need a contract for this to happen.

opie

They want the air drivers gone pay the full time drivers a little more and save a ton on benefits

This is a Union proposal though. I am guessing they would want those PT air jobs to be turned into 22.3 positions. A lot of them already are. We only have 4 PT PM air drivers out of 9, the other 5 are 22.3. EAM drivers are mostly PT, only one is 22.3 from our building.

This is a Union proposal though. I am guessing they would want those PT air jobs to be turned into 22.3 positions. A lot of them already are. We only have 4 PT PM air drivers out of 9, the other 5 are 22.3. EAM drivers are mostly PT, only one is 22.3 from our building.
The company wants the least amount of employees as possible. We are set up to fail

Daf

“Part time air drivers” are used and abused here. They drive full routes almost every day. The other days they work a part time shift inside plus 4 hours air driving. Either way they are working full time without getting credit for it. I feel you can thank the company for abusing it.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
“Part time air drivers” are used and abused here. They drive full routes almost every day. The other days they work a part time shift inside plus 4 hours air driving. Either way they are working full time without getting credit for it. I feel you can thank the company for abusing it.
cut them

542thruNthru

The majority of PT employees want a fulltime job. Lots don't actually want to drive so they want another FT option. I believe the union is listening to the PTers. As you said you get a vote. The same as every other member.

It's a smart financial move by the company. Their benefits cost more than what they make. Sicks on the service end for the customers
The problem with that logic is, they are making full time jobs out of scraps, part time jobs that shouldn't be full time. What they need to do is make more "Driving" jobs. Volume is only going to increase and UPS will continue to squeeze more and more out of each FT driver. If you eliminate the air drivers the FT drivers are going to have to absorb that, in this case picking up letter boxes until 8:30 each night around town.

The problem with that logic is, they are making full time jobs out of scraps, part time jobs that shouldn't be full time. What they need to do is make more "Driving" jobs. Volume is only going to increase and UPS will continue to squeeze more and more out of each FT driver. If you eliminate the air drivers the FT drivers are going to have to absorb that, in this case picking up letter boxes until 8:30 each night around town.
That's what we do now. We hardly have any air drivers left

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
You must have been so distraught over hub automation and the potential loss of part-time employees that it took you a few years to register and enlighten the rest of us.

Wosrt case you will be in the building with an easy clerk job. At least with 23 years you'll still have a decent paycheck.

I don't mean to sound unsympathetic, I know it would suck to lose your air job. For some reason your original post came across very whiny to me.

Last edited: