Saturday Ground (On Topic)

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
If my job requires me to work Saturday I'll retire earlier than planned.
A few years ago ups started the Saturday delivery during peak. Then some places even delivered the Sunday before Xmas. I asked him about it. Said he would quit before he made anyone work a Sunday.

I see him retiring in the not so distant future.

rocket man

Sorry for the 1,000,000th "Saturday Ground" thread.

I have a serious question regarding the Tues. - Sat. schedule.

In my building so I've heard, lower seniority Pre-loaders and PT Cover Drivers have no choice... but, can he or she say that they honor the "Sabbath" (God's day of rest). to not work the Saturday schedule. Does UPS take religious beliefs into perspective?

That is all, ty.
So that's why everybody is growing beards

coolslice

I will not work saturday's. This company already takes enough from me as it. I don't get home until 1900 on weekdays, so the weekend is basically my only time with my kids. They are not taking that from me.

What will happen is just like vacations and spring break. All the people with seniority that have no family or life outside of work will use their seniority to take away from others that actually need it, simply because they feel like they should. Then they will be the ones going around chastising the younger guys because they don't want to do "what the company requires of them."

I took this job as a monday thru friday job. It's been that way for 13 years for me. If I'm "forced" to work saturdays or bumped off my route, then my time as a package car driver will come to an end. I won't loose sleep over it.

I will not work saturday's. This company already takes enough from me as it. I don't get home until 1900 on weekdays, so the weekend is basically my only time with my kids. They are not taking that from me.

What will happen is just like vacations and spring break. All the people with seniority that have no family or life outside of work will use their seniority to take away from others that actually need it, simply because they feel like they should. Then they will be the ones going around chastising the younger guys because they don't want to do "what the company requires of them."

I took this job as a monday thru friday job. It's been that way for 13 years for me. If I'm "forced" to work saturdays or bumped off my route, then my time as a package car driver will come to an end. I won't loose sleep over it.
Seriously???

Future

Victory Ride

Start cleaning out your locker ....it's going 2 happen

coolslice

Start cleaning out your locker ....it's going 2 happen

I have no problem with that. My life and family are more important than UPS's profit margins. Maybe I'll be forced to take another job where I know what time I'm getting off everyday, get lunch breaks, Air conditioning, and paid sick days. Hell, they may even let me grow a goatee!

I have no problem with that. My life and family are more important than UPS's profit margins. Maybe I'll be forced to take another job where I know what time I'm getting off everyday, get lunch breaks, Air conditioning, and paid sick days. Hell, they may even let me grow a goatee!
I can understand you you being ticked off but are you willing to lose your healthcare, steady income and your pension over this?
It's not like you are going to be stuck doing this for the rest of your career.

coolslice

I can understand you you being ticked off but are you willing to lose your healthcare, steady income and your pension over this?
It's not like you are going to be stuck doing this for the rest of your career.

My feeling is that those things you've mentioned are in grave danger anyway. Unfortunately, most employees only care about how much they make an hour and that really helps set up the scenario where we lose other benefits. Like I said, if they'll take the pension from management, then they'll certainly take ours if they can.

I'm not saying that the first saturday I might have to work will be my last, but at that point I will begin the search for another job. I'll go on my wife's insurance.

If there are no boundaries as to what you'll put up with to remain at UPS, then they will exploit that, and they do. I personally want to know my wife and kids as they grow up. I am more concerned about my own life more than I am with UPS.

My feeling is that those things you've mentioned are in grave danger anyway. Unfortunately, most employees only care about how much they make an hour and that really helps set up the scenario where we lose other benefits. Like I said, if they'll take the pension from management, then they'll certainly take ours if they can.

I'm not saying that the first saturday I might have to work will be my last, but at that point I will begin the search for another job. I'll go on my wife's insurance.

If there are no boundaries as to what you'll put up with to remain at UPS, then they will exploit that, and they do. I personally want to know my wife and kids as they grow up. I am more concerned about my own life more than I am with UPS.
It's hard to make this kind of money elsewhere. You may end up working two jobs and have less family time.

PT Car Washer

No one at UPS will lose any sleep over it either.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

Why wait ?? Leave now so someone else can have the chance at comfortable living.

FYI, I'll let you in on a secret, you can have Sunday and Monday's off to spend with your kids.

I really hope your wife is the decision maker in your house.

coolslice

It's hard to make this kind of money elsewhere. You may end up working two jobs and have less family time.

Fortunately I have not molded my life around my job financially. I learned early on that even with our glorious union, our job is less secure than a teacher who beats a student or a cop that shoots a person.

I can't promise that I would make the same money, but I wouldn't be bouncing from my job at Wendy's to the one at Speedway either. Even with making less money, there would be huge benefits to hanging up the browns that cannot be overlooked.

Hopefully I won't have to worry about this scenario, but like most, I too believe that it's a matter of time before we all are working 6 days a week. Saturday delivery is a Trojan horse. Give it a couple of years and I'll bet even the tough guys that act like they're fine with doing whatever the company asks of them will be singing a different tune, especially after this next contract.

coolslice

Why wait ?? Leave now so someone else can have the chance at comfortable living.

FYI, I'll let you in on a secret, you can have Sunday and Monday's off to spend with your kids.

I really hope your wife is the decision maker in your house.

My kids go to school on monday, believe it or not. That leaves only Sunday, and like most, that will be the day you recover from the work week.

Like I said, I was smart enough to set up my life so I don't depend on UPS to live. It sure sounds like most people here worship the company and feel as if they'd be nothing without their job. If that's the position you're in, I feel for you.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck

Fortunately I have not molded my life around my job financially. I learned early on that even with our glorious union, our job is less secure than a teacher who beats a student or a cop that shoots a person.

I can't promise that I would make the same money, but I wouldn't be bouncing from my job at Wendy's to the one at Speedway either. Even with making less money, there would be huge benefits to hanging up the browns that cannot be overlooked.

Hopefully I won't have to worry about this scenario, but like most, I too believe that it's a matter of time before we all are working 6 days a week. Saturday delivery is a Trojan horse. Give it a couple of years and I'll bet even the tough guys that act like they're fine with doing whatever the company asks of them will be singing a different tune, especially after this next contract.

I honestly felt the same way as you. How big is your center/building/hub? It might not even affect you.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Don't let the door hit ya

Where the good lord split ya

coolslice

Don't let the door hit ya

Where the good lord split ya

You'll be left with a bunch of 20 something tatted up millennials that refuse to work past 5. You'll appreciate the extra work they'll have to give you because the new hires can't handle a 7.5 hr dispatch.

coolslice

I honestly felt the same way as you. How big is your center/building/hub? It might not even affect you.

Well, we have about 50 drivers in my center roughly. At first, they said they weren't going to run that many saturday routes and that rebidding routes and all of that wasn't going to happen. This week, they changed their tune and said they think they might run 3 times the amount of routes they originally thought. I'm middle of the road seniority, but if they're going to run that many routes, seniority will only matter when (if) they have to rebid everything.

It will be interesting, but basically they will pull the rug out from underneath most every driver in the center in one way or another. It will be interesting because we are already stretched too thin. Something will have to give if they think they're gonna cut 30 routes on monday and have to cover an extra 25 pickup logs.