Saturday Ground (On Topic)

Future

Victory Ride
I have no problem with that. My life and family are more important than UPS's profit margins. Maybe I'll be forced to take another job where I know what time I'm getting off everyday, get lunch breaks, Air conditioning, and paid sick days. Hell, they may even let me grow a goatee!
I can respect that ...for your family.... just make sure u have your ducks in a row with a new position

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Well, we have about 50 drivers in my center roughly. At first, they said they weren't going to run that many saturday routes and that rebidding routes and all of that wasn't going to happen. This week, they changed their tune and said they think they might run 3 times the amount of routes they originally thought. I'm middle of the road seniority, but if they're going to run that many routes, seniority will only matter when (if) they have to rebid everything.

It will be interesting, but basically they will pull the rug out from underneath most every driver in the center in one way or another. It will be interesting because we are already stretched too thin. Something will have to give if they think they're gonna cut 30 routes on monday and have to cover an extra 25 pickup logs.
Ever think of bidding to feeders? Don't throw away 13 years of company time if you can help it.

Over 70

My feeling is that those things you've mentioned are in grave danger anyway. Unfortunately, most employees only care about how much they make an hour and that really helps set up the scenario where we lose other benefits. Like I said, if they'll take the pension from management, then they'll certainly take ours if they can.

I'm not saying that the first saturday I might have to work will be my last, but at that point I will begin the search for another job. I'll go on my wife's insurance.

If there are no boundaries as to what you'll put up with to remain at UPS, then they will exploit that, and they do. I personally want to know my wife and kids as they grow up. I am more concerned about my own life more than I am with UPS.

Smart man. UPS isn't the end all be all. Especially with the coming changes.

542thruNthru

You'll be left with a bunch of 20 something tatted up millennials that refuse to work past 5. You'll appreciate the extra work they'll have to give you because the new hires can't handle a 7.5 hr dispatch.

Is that anything like the guy that will quit because he refuses to work Saturdays? Sounds a little hypocritical to me. Also pretty sure you'd be the only one leaving. So I don't think that leaves just 20 something's.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I will not work saturday's. This company already takes enough from me as it. I don't get home until 1900 on weekdays, so the weekend is basically my only time with my kids. They are not taking that from me.

What will happen is just like vacations and spring break. All the people with seniority that have no family or life outside of work will use their seniority to take away from others that actually need it, simply because they feel like they should. Then they will be the ones going around chastising the younger guys because they don't want to do "what the company requires of them."

I took this job as a monday thru friday job. It's been that way for 13 years for me. If I'm "forced" to work saturdays or bumped off my route, then my time as a package car driver will come to an end. I won't loose sleep over it.
Man i would love be home by 7 pm on weekdays.

bumped

I will not work saturday's. This company already takes enough from me as it. I don't get home until 1900 on weekdays, so the weekend is basically my only time with my kids. They are not taking that from me.

What will happen is just like vacations and spring break. All the people with seniority that have no family or life outside of work will use their seniority to take away from others that actually need it, simply because they feel like they should. Then they will be the ones going around chastising the younger guys because they don't want to do "what the company requires of them."

I took this job as a monday thru friday job. It's been that way for 13 years for me. If I'm "forced" to work saturdays or bumped off my route, then my time as a package car driver will come to an end. I won't loose sleep over it.

I get where your coming from. I'm 20 years in and don't have to work Saturdays. If I had to work Saturdays when I first started I would never had taken the job. Your 13 years in and it sucks, but your almost at the midway point of your career. In my building (2 centers) the seniority date for having to work Saturdays is 2008.