Are Unions ethical?

• Total voters

Proud To Be A Scab

Commie Unionists are Traitors
Consistency demands observing that companies are rackets as well, not riding a 'voluntaryist' hobby horse, e.g., (unions bad, gov't bad but not a single word about workplaces).

Where one works is completely voluntary. Nobody is forcing others to work.

Government is compulsory, no way around it that government is the gun in the room. The violent history of unions is surely not voluntary for those on the bad end of the unionists stick as well.

One can be against both simultaneously. Unless you truly believe in false paradigms.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
He's the worst preloader of the entire crew.

The union members actually wanted him gone for that reason as well as smelling like a donkey show in TJ BEFORE he became a union member

Don’t worry so much about this.... the company will solve the issue by making the drunk a FT sup on the preload.

Whither

Scofflaw

It's a hollow notion of freedom to ignore the exploitative and at times disciplinary character of the 'invisible hand'. You're partly correct: no one in particular induces us to work here or there, but nevertheless those of us without much, if any, capital are dependent on selling our ability to work for a wage. I think there can be little doubt that compulsory schooling in childhood goes a long way to adapting us to the tedious rhythms and other-directed means and ends of wage labor. Not to mention, what first generations perceived and reacted to as a hostile threat becomes accepted as 'the way it's always been', e.g., a perfected state of dependency.

It's a classic case of missing the forest for the trees. The market is a collective social force.

dezguy

Government is compulsory, no way around it that government is the gun in the room. The violent history of unions is surely not voluntary for those on the bad end of the unionists stick as well.

One can be against both simultaneously. Unless you truly believe in false paradigms.
The irony in this sentence is amazing!

ski or die

Ski or Die
Have you reached out and tried to make friends with this fellow employee. Maybe a gift such as one of those hats that holds 2 cans of beer with straws so he can continue to work hands free. May go a long way in your relationship with the employee.

Nah
How about no. When a dude causes so many problems for so many and the steward nor the supervisor do anything about it. What else can one do but point out the fact that the system is utterly broken?

If the system is broken, you could always quit and find a different system to work under.

Proud To Be A Scab

Commie Unionists are Traitors
If the system is broken, you could always quit and find a different system to work under.

Yeah, I could. I start a new position in the company soon anyways.

So far the drunk hasn't been coming in drunk for the past 2 days. He actually got a haircut and a shave, and doesn't smell like the guy on the floor after a barroom brawl anymore, and he stopped talking so damn much.

The confirmation number I entered gave me a message that the "investigation" will take 30 days... This fool should have been canned long BEFORE he started paying the mafiosos their protection money...

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Yeah, I could. I start a new position in the company soon anyways.

So far the drunk hasn't been coming in drunk for the past 2 days. He actually got a haircut and a shave, and doesn't smell like the guy on the floor after a barroom brawl anymore, and he stopped talking so damn much.

The confirmation number I entered gave me a message that the "investigation" will take 30 days... This fool should have been canned long BEFORE he started paying the mafiosos their protection money...

Finally, management.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
How about no. When a dude causes so many problems for so many and the steward nor the supervisor do anything about it. What else can one do but point out the fact that the system is utterly broken?
You need to relax and mind your business. You getting caught up in other people’s business at work is just going to get you lobbed into the mess. Just put your ear buds in and unload the trailer.

sandwich

The resident gearhead

You know there has also been plenty of violence against union workers by the companies they work for