Teamsters union keeps 240,000 UPS workers on the job as contract expires

How will you vote on the contract?

• Total voters

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Consumer price index rose 2.7 percent in the last quarter....
That 2.7% is not just for June or the quarter but projected for one year.
Don't look at short term.
2.9% in the last year ending June 30, 2018
2.5% for the calendar year 2018 for the first 6 months.
Average of 1.73% since 2007.

CPI 2008 - 2018.PNG

Inflation rates by month for 2008 - 2018.PNG

Tony Q

Teamsters union keeps 240,000 UPS workers on the job as contract expires

" The proposed agreement includes:

* The creation of a new “hybrid” class of “22.4” driver/warehouse workers, who will be paid far less than current drivers and are not guaranteed full-time hours. The new position, which the Teamsters union boasted arose from its own proposal, is designed to destroy the last remaining decent-paying full-time jobs at the company and extend part-time “flexibility” from the warehouses to the delivery drivers.
Just to be honest with you, the companies initial proposal was for the weekends to be like the USPS has, $15.00 an hour with Part-Time workers delivering the weekends. The Union has to counter in this scenario. Their counter ended up being the HYBIDE DRIVERS. Drivers that would have a cost affixed to them of $68 dollars an hour at the end of this contract, as long as they have reached top rate. If anyone thinks they will garner the court of public opinion"s sympathy, making $ 68 an hour as a concession, then vote no. FYI

Just to be honest with you, the companies initial proposal was for the weekends to be like the USPS has, $15.00 an hour with Part-Time workers delivering the weekends. The Union has to counter in this scenario. Their counter ended up being the HYBIDE DRIVERS. Drivers that would have a cost affixed to them of $68 dollars an hour at the end of this contract, as long as they have reached top rate. If anyone thinks they will garner the court of public opinion"s sympathy, making $ 68 an hour as a concession, then vote no. FYI
Why don't you propose some of them garbage language in your own contract. 25% of the union officials should be a hybrid job.

Tony Q

Why don't you propose some of them garbage language in your own contract. 25% of the union officials should be a hybrid job.
Do you think every Union Official makes what a driver at UPS makes? I would like to educate you, respectfully.

Time for change

Public sympathy? I’m not voting no for sympathy from the public, maybe public should know there are part timers that make over 20 dollars less an hour than the next person while working in trailers that can be over 130 degrees. Maybe they will be sympathetic towards that? If not, too bad, they don’t have a say in the vote.

Tony Q

Public sympathy? I’m not voting no for sympathy from the public, maybe public should know there are part timers that make over 20 dollars less an hour than the next person while working in trailers that can be over 130 degrees. Maybe they will be sympathetic towards that? If not, too bad, they don’t have a say in the vote.
No offense, but you are functionally special needs.

Time for change

The only need I have beyond food, water, and shelter is for those negotiating the contract for a quarter million plus members to have higher than a high school education.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
I think they may I think you are confusing cost of living with Consumer Price Index. :wink2:be confusing inflation with cost of living...not the same thing.

What is the current consumer price index rate?
The Consumer Price Index (CPI-U) is compiled by the Bureau of Labor Statistics and is based upon a 1982 Base of 100. Therefore, a Consumer Price Index of 158 would indicate 58% inflation since 1982. The commonly quoted inflation rate of say 3% is actually the change in the Consumer Price Index from a year earlier. May 10, 2018

Current Consumer Price Index - InflationData.com
Current Consumer Price Index

CPIbased raises are usually less than inflation now that you mention it.
Even more reason not to go with CPI.
I remember when inflation was 3 and 4 % and the CPI was less than 1% ... everybody was bitching about that.

Last edited:

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
I think they may be confusing inflation with cost of living...not the same thing.
I think you are confusing cost of living with Consumer Price Index. :wink2:

What is the current consumer price index rate?
The Consumer Price Index (CPI-U) is compiled by the Bureau of Labor Statistics and is based upon a 1982 Base of 100. Therefore, a Consumer Price Index of 158 would indicate 58% inflation since 1982.

CPI 2000-2018.PNG

Last edited:

cachmeifucan

That's what workers comp is for not insurance. Insurance pays for your wife's medication, your kids check ups
So what does health insurance do in the first 12 months nothing and most young people want money they can stay on parents health insurance until 26 now and in majority of young people don't use it.