The 97 strike....

10 point

In a center of less than 25 drivers? They probably figured that no one would notice?
Thankfully.... it wasn't our building. The one driver had SEVEN kids. We'll grade on a curve there. Hope no one urinated on his name tag. That just wouldn't be right.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
No. You implied that the majority of 804 was ready to strike. Hell, they weren't even ready to vote.
They wanted to strike! And if the Maspeth 250 hadn't gotten their jobs back....I have little doubt we would've! 804 had no intention to strike over the new contract...we passed our supplement back in October.

Ron Carey lives on

Pension take over is what caused the strike huh? You have no clue what you are talking about. Look at the company's last best and final offer in 97, and then look at the contract in 97. You probably got one of the 10,000 full time jobs,we faught for, you hypocrite. Labor History buddy. The general public supported us. We supperted our General president cause he was a former Ups driver, not a corporate lawyer. Big Brown got their :censored2: handed to them. Corporate America got scared zhitless. Hoffa and his college buddy R-Mi Peter Hoakstra decided to assassinate Ron Carey's character. He was acquitted of all charges (but still banned from union activity) Two pension sellouts later, the worst contract I've seen in years. Bang up job junior, your legacy as a regular john l. Lewis is set in stone, lol. Junior is a joke people. Take your job as a talk show host, get the hell away from Ups teamsters and let us rebuild

Sent using BrownCafe App

10 point

The majority of the minority...what kind of way is that to run a union?
Unfortunately, that's the way it's been running for too long. The statement was a joke about reality.
The minority of the total membership that voted has got to find a way to get their coworkers to vote. If one member got at least one other person to vote that didn't we'd probably be at 70% or more.

Where is the disconnect? You tell me because I know that it can be done. We did it.

BTW: the national stats of voting for the President of the United States is similar from what I've seen. Talk about apathy.

Overpaid Union Thug

Pension take over is what caused the strike huh? You have no clue what you are talking about. Look at the company's last best and final offer in 97, and then look at the contract in 97. You probably got one of the 10,000 full time jobs,we faught for, you hypocrite. Labor History buddy. The general public supported us. We supperted our General president cause he was a former Ups driver, not a corporate lawyer. Big Brown got their :censored2: handed to them. Corporate America got scared zhitless. Hoffa and his college buddy R-Mi Peter Hoakstra decided to assassinate Ron Carey's character. He was acquitted of all charges (but still banned from union activity) Two pension sellouts later, the worst contract I've seen in years. Bang up job junior, your legacy as a regular john l. Lewis is set in stone, lol. Junior is a joke people. Take your job as a talk show host, get the hell away from Ups teamsters and let us rebuild

Sent using BrownCafe App
According to the book "Big Brown" the strike was orchestrated by Carey simply because he was "out to get UPS." LOL!

Last edited:

Overpaid Union Thug

There were two in our LOCAL that crossed. Not in our building.
Their name tags ended up glued to the inside of toilet lids.
Funny thing is, when one of them went to retire he was really bitter because he said the company "lost" his clerk years and he had to fight with them to get all his pension. A lot of good it did him to appease management.
How could anyone cross the picket line and have the balls to face their coworkers after it's over?

I was hired a little over a year after the strike but i heard we only had one cross in my building but there was a bunch of people that withdrew from the union because they were pissed off about having to strike. Personally....I think that when someone crosses the picket line they should lose all of their seniority once work is resumed.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
There were two in our LOCAL that crossed. Funny thing is, when one of them went to retire he was really bitter because he said the company "lost" his clerk years and he had to fight with them to get all his pension.

That would be even funnier....

If he was a "clerk" in the state of Ohio.

-Bug-

Unfortunately, that's the way it's been running for too long. The statement was a joke about reality.
The minority of the total membership that voted has got to find a way to get their coworkers to vote. If one member got at least one other person to vote that didn't we'd probably be at 70% or more.

Where is the disconnect? You tell me because I know that it can be done. We did it.

BTW: the national stats of voting for the President of the United States is similar from what I've seen. Talk about apathy.
Anytime we get a new driver,I always take the time to talk with him. Invite him to the union meeting and beers afterwards. Its good to get the young guys involved. Some of them attend meetings afterwards!