The new plan,pt do p1

Stat41

I was hired as a midday off the streets. It hasn't been too bad.
I average 30 to 40 stops per day, start around noon and am back around 8pm or 20:00.
With my last stop I can be 45 mins away from the station.
I do seem to cover alot of ground. Im guessing I cover multiple am routes as sort of a clean up crew.
I just plug all my stops into circuit and away I go.
The only issue is jumping around to get to some businesses on time and then having to double back.
I think as a whole our group is doing pretty good. We all know what we're doing.
Our manager also used to be a courier is that pretty common?
It used to be common but now a lot of managers have never been a courier, or if they were, many of them were not good couriers.

Guitarman01

Ok I paid some more attention to my milage today on my midday route.
148 miles with 38 stops, made my first stop at 1pm and my last at 7:35 with a lunch.
Got back to the station at 8:11.
I had to jump around and backtrack to hit businesses before 430 that prob added another 20 miles.
Trying to hit all the sos business before 430 is probably the biggest annoyance being so spread out, and alot close earlier then that.

throwaway10

Ok I paid some more attention to my milage today on my midday route.
148 miles with 38 stops, made my first stop at 1pm and my last at 7:35 with a lunch.
Got back to the station at 8:11.
I had to jump around and backtrack to hit businesses before 430 that prob added another 20 miles.
Trying to hit all the sos business before 430 is probably the biggest annoyance being so spread out, and alot close earlier then that.
Geez that's a light day, 150miles 100 deliveries on road 1000-1800, and a 130piece bulk pickup that blew out my vehicle.(also involves backtracking for a early close.)

Guitarman01

Geez that's a light day, 150miles 100 deliveries on road 1000-1800, and a 130piece bulk pickup that blew out my vehicle.(also involves backtracking for a early close.)
Midday is definitely lighter in general compared to the am routes. Ive filled in and trained with the day guys. The hours arent the greatest, it kind of breaks up your day and by the time you get off work the day is over. Ill prob bid on a day job after my 6 months, right around winter/peak/time change lol.
I have some big concerns for my route in the winter. It gets very country, alot of backroads.
I took some pics.

Attachments

• 20210519_170331.jpg
    20210519_170331.jpg
    343.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 20210506_192711.jpg
    20210506_192711.jpg
    623.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 20210506_193345.jpg
    20210506_193345.jpg
    688.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 20210511_185202.jpg
    20210511_185202.jpg
    493.5 KB · Views: 78

MassWineGuy

Winter tip: Under no circumstances should you drive up a steep, icy driveway. If you get stuck you’ll always remember the phone call you have with your manager. Either walk it off (if you can, safely) or skip it.

Guitarman01

Yeah no kidding, our 2nd wave brings back 100s daily, but heaven forbid if a AM driver leaves a resi express saver behind for the 2nd wave to deliver, only because you are trying to stay under 11-12hrs...
By 2nd wave is that also midday? Is that what its called? Still trying to get some of the lingo down.
We rarely bring back anything.
A few noob questions if you dont mind.
If I were to deliver to a business after a 430 (sos) commit is that considered a service failure even if they were open until 6?
Is that showing up on some report?
Same with Resi's if I deliver after 8 are these showing up on some report?

Last edited:

Stat41

By 2nd wave is that also midday? Is that what its called? Still trying to get some of the lingo down.
We rarely bring back anything.
A few noob questions if you dont mind.
If I were to deliver to a business after a 430 (sos) commit is that considered a service failure even if they were open until 6?
Is that showing up on some report?
Same with Resi's if I deliver after 8 are these showing up on some report?
Yes the second wave is also midday. If you were to deliver a business due on that day after 1630 it would be considered late. If you were to deliver to a resi due on that day after 2000 it would be considered late. The policy is that an attempt has to be made within the service time the shipper paid for, Whether the recipient is there or not doesn't matter. The most important thing is that you do not falsify information or jeopardize your safety to make this happen. A couple of lates is not the end of the world. Just do the best you can during what is a very difficult time for us all. Hope that helps.

Guitarman01

Thanks.
A couple more things I would like to get down.
What do you line up with to back up those sprinter vans in one shot at the station?
In training we were told to center our shoulder with our spot, then swing out and back in, but that doesnt seem to be working too well.
Im thinking more like a 90 degree straight backing where your pulling past your spot, cutting the wheel hard and back right in.
I did it perfectly yesterday except I overshot my spot by one lol. I didnt pull foward enough.
A pretty basic thing but I would like to get this down, plus it can get pretty tight when all the vans are already in there.

Another one is country roads. Lets say its winter and you have heavy traffic on your ass, you see your customers drive but your not going to be able to turn around in it. Theres nowhere to pull off or over because the shoulders are covered in snow.
I know its a big no-no to pull in nose first and park at the end of the drive just to get off the road,
but at the same time your not going to be able to back into the drive without traffic passing or going around you, which almost seems more dangerous on a two lane road.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Thanks.
What do you line up with to back up those sprinter vans in one shot at the station?
In training we were told to center our shoulder with our spot, then swing out and back in, but that doesnt seem to be working too well.
Im thinking more like a 90 degree straight backing where your pulling past your spot, cutting the wheel hard and back right in.
I did it perfectly yesterday except I overshot my spot by one lol. I didnt pull foward enough.
A pretty basic thing but I would like to get this down, plus it can get pretty tight when all the vans are already in there.

Another one is country roads. Lets say its winter and you have heavy traffic on your ass, you see your customers drive but your not going to be able to turn around in it. Theres nowhere to pull off or over because the shoulders are covered in snow.
I know its a big no-no to pull in nose first and park at the end of the drive just to get off the road,
but at the same time your not going to be able to back into the drive without traffic passing or going around you, which almost seems more dangerous on a two lane road.
Put on your flashers before you get to the driveway and stop before the driveway forcing drivers to go around you. Then pull up and back into the opening of the driveway off the road. Walk it up from there.

Guitarman01

Put on your flashers before you get to the driveway and stop before the driveway forcing drivers to go around you. Then pull up and back into the opening of the driveway off the road. Walk it up from there.
Right, thats what I was thinking would be the textbook way, but I could also see that causing problems as well depending on the scenario.
Lets say the speed limit is 60, theres a hill with reduced visibility, its a no passing zone and you got semi's barreling down and heavy oncoming traffic. Trying to force a line of traffic to pass is still the better option then pulling in nose first?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Right, thats what I was thinking would be the textbook way, but I could also see that causing problems as well depending on the scenario.
Lets say the speed limit is 60, theres a hill with reduced visibility, its a no passing zone and you got semi's barreling down and heavy oncoming traffic. Trying to force a line of traffic to pass is still the better option then pulling in nose first?
Pulling in nose first in that scenario is always a bad option if you can’t see up the driveway. Last thing you want to do is to back out into that mess. At least backing into the mouth of the driveway you can see what’s going on in the road. You just have to do it quickly.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
And in that situation ALWAYS deliver there in daylight. Never risk it in the dark.

MassWineGuy

Thanks.

My worst driving is inside the building. The guy who parks the vehicles at night gave me a great tip.

When you drive inside, pull up a vehicle length ahead of the empty spot, keeping close to the fronts of the other parked vehicles. Turn the wheel completely to the left (or right) and back up until you almost touch the vehicle on the other side of your space (watch the camera). Turn the wheel all the way in the opposite direction and pull forward. If done right, you’ll have plenty of room to back up into your spot.

Serf

These are goods tips for anyone in a sprinter/Isuzu/ Grumman. This new route I’m in has me in a 900 extra large Grumman. Harder to park and turn. Got that big old caboose butt.

McFeely

Huge Member
Guitarman- if you ever back your Sprinter into a spot at the station with your back doors open, be super careful with those doors and the mirrors on the surrounding trucks. Or get a spotter to help. The more you back the easier it gets but don’t be embarrassed to ask for help.