Would you take concessions?

MFR2010

My father supported a wife and four kids as a package car driver. I just support a wife and two dogs, cost of living has gone up a lot faster than everyone's pay. I shouldnt have my pay doubled because I can't afford what he did.

iowa boy

My father supported a wife and four kids as a package car driver. I just support a wife and two dogs, cost of living has gone up a lot faster than everyone's pay. I shouldnt have my pay doubled because I can't afford what he did.

Who said anything about doubling your pay? I don't know about you, but i would much rather prefer a raise every year, than to go 4 years like my wife has with no raise.

Sure the cost of living has gone up, as it has for as long as I can remember, and I doubt that it will ever stop. But also stop and look at all the goods, (house, car, toys, and whatever I am missing), and compare that to what your dad had when you were growing up.

Why don't you tell UPS that you don't want any raises over the course of the next contract, then come back here in 3, 4, or 5 years when the next contract is up and tell us how easy it is to afford the same lifestyle you have today with the cost of living rising like it is?

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
I posted along these lines earlier and asked what UPS drivers would be willing to give up for the things that they desire. That is the nature of negotiating a contract.

Some posters start out by saying nothing but then they follow up by saying all the things they want.
Everything has a cost associated with it and that will have to be negotiated.

I think another thread could be started whose title is:
What do you want and what would you give up for that?

Okay, I'll start it!

A total overhaul of our planned workday based on real time studies being observed by both Management AND UNION representation.

In these time studies have actual fully safe methodes used.
actual 1st break in 1st quarter of day
Real Uninterupted Lunch mid day
2nd break later part of work day
WITHOUT fluffing load and sorting truck during breaks.

A real time study on our pickup schedules as well. There are some routes with 20+ pickup accounts that are to far apart and set within minutes of same time frame. Set up gambling the possability that some of them wont have a pick up that day. There are times when they all have pick ups and heavy ones at that and u can't make it to some because they are closed b$ u get their cuase of the other pickups that don't usually have anything now do. That's not service and it takes our customers 4 granted. We take their $ to have a pickup account WE should make sure we have a schedule that complies to that.

Including also, full real time allowance for sig required stops, not a knock and run false attempt during time studies to keep a reduced time, cause we are supposed to be SERVICE not a factory production system.

Work day max at 9 hours in execption only to to many call offs and EC conitions. it will boost moral and help prevent driver fatigue and safety mistakes from accuring.

D.O.T. standards were intended for semi drivers doing very few stops and very minimil physical work. It' was not designed to the way we package drivers work. We get fatigued way sooner then semi cause of the physical imact and multiple tasks that we perform. Totally diiferent league then what D.O.T. was intended 4.

a pay freeze except for cola in exchange.

Other then that, if they demand more work out of us and continue by way of work overload to cause us to work unsafe and endanger ourselves and the public then WE DEmand More $$$$$$$$$$$ for our risks of accident, injuries and possable termination for having to work recklessly for keeping up with the demands for their equations.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
Note: The post I made is directed at UPS in general and not directing @ Hoaxster. I don't want u 2 feel that I am. You bring up good and well thought points. I'm merely following threw with a good request via u.

804brown

What you all are talking about are not concessions here. You are bargaining. Giving up this to get that instead. Concessions to UPS would be foolish. Bargaining $$ for better language and benefits is part of bargaining.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
My father was a part-time worker at UPS back in the 80s, he tells me from part-time wages he afforded his own apartment, a car payment, and the first three years of college (But he was paying tuition out of his paycheck, he didn't get the edcor). Just ask around the part-timers at your building if they could afford these things from part-time wages now.

Those medical benefits do you little good if you can't afford to keep a roof over your head

If I'm looking for a job to keep a roof over my head it's not gonna be part-time. Part-time jobs are for kids, second incomes or extra cash. They aren't meant to be careers. That being said, the starting part-time wage needs to be raised. My loader makes around $25 an hour.

804brown

If I'm looking for a job to keep a roof over my head it's not gonna be part-time. Part-time jobs are for kids, second incomes or extra cash. They aren't meant to be careers. That being said, the starting part-time wage needs to be raised. My loader makes around $25 an hour.

The truth is though that lots of people, adults mind you, have to work several part time jobs in order to makes ends meet. They are not kids or looking for extra cash. That is the sad reality.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Note: The post I made is directed at UPS in general and not directing @ Hoaxster. I don't want u 2 feel that I am. You bring up good and well thought points. I'm merely following threw with a good request via u.

No problem
Tire tracks all across my back
so you can have your fun

ups clerk

Sorry that argument doesn't work anymore. So he's the lowest paid crook in charge of a large company? See what he made when he started as our ceo and what he's making now. It's outrageous. Don't care who keeps giving him his raise. Probably his golfing buddies.
Not to mention the fact that he put a freeze wage on all supervisors and managers because of the economy last year, yet he gave himself--oh excuse me, the board of directors--gave him a multi million dollar raise. If Scott had any gonads, he would have refused that raise and would have been a hero to his people. But nooooooo, he took the money and ran. He should be ashamed of himself and there places in Hell for people like Scott Davis.

brown_trousers

the "concessions" idea is an easy one. part-timers ARE the concession. By freezing part-time starting wages for last 20 years, we can negotiate better wages for full-time combo and drivers. There is a reason why driver wages have more than doubled during that time period while part-time wages haven't budged.

This has made part-time jobs at UPS more of short-term adventure, than a real job. There are a few of us who choose to remain with UPS as part-timers for long while, but we are a very small minority.

I wonder How many part-time employees UPS has hired over the last ten years compared to how many of us made it past 5 years of seniority. I bet the difference is astounding

UPSGUY72

UPS is making billions of dollars a quarter why would anyone even bring up concessions ??? Once you give your never getting what you gave back.

krash

Go big orange
UPS is making billions of dollars a quarter why would anyone even bring up concessions ??? Once you give your never getting what you gave back.
You got that right.
I have yet to understand this mentality in which some feel you have to "give up something" in order receive improvements. There was a time when we we're coming up with a contract and didn't have anything to "give up". So our Union rep's need to get away from this way of thinking. As we all know, we have areas that need to be addressed and I pray that our President stands firm on improvements, not concessions. And the members also have to be willing to vote NO if the concerns/improvements are not addressed.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I get a good chuckle as I read through these posts on this thread.
I don't recall UPS ever asking for concessions during my 38 years here ... maybe there was some and I just missed them.

Every contract things change as the Union and UPS negotiate changes in thee Terms and Conditions of the contract.

Try this logic that many are posting here when you go buy your next car or getting a house built.

JMO - Wryly smiling from the sidelines.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
I get a good chuckle as I read through these posts on this thread.I don't recall UPS ever asking for concessions during my 38 years here ... maybe there was some and I just missed them.Every contract things change as the Union and UPS negotiate changes in thee Terms and Conditions of the contract.Try this logic that many are posting here when you go buy your next car or getting a house built.JMO - Wryly smiling from the sidelines.
To-may-toe, to-mah-toe. Isn't it just different ways of saying the same thing?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
To-may-toe, to-mah-toe. Isn't it just different ways of saying the same thing?

Not really.

I'll provide an example of each:

Concession - a company asks the Union employee to take a 10% cut in pay. If this is accepted, it is a concession.

Negotiated agreement - a company asks the Union employees to accept a 10% cut in pay. The Union agrees but only if the Union employees get 10% of the after tax profits of the company.

In my experience, UPS and the Teamsters have always exchanged negotiated agreements when one side wanted a change.

22.34life

How much should we make delivering a package to someone's door, $40, $50 an hour. How much more do you want?
as long as the company is profitable and growing as it is now to the tune of $4 billion last year i want as much as i can get.now if and when ups stops being profitable and growing than we can talk about giving up raises but until then i want my piece of the $4 billion pie and you should too.

krash

Go big orange
I get a good chuckle as I read through these posts on this thread.
I don't recall UPS ever asking for concessions during my 38 years here ... maybe there was some and I just missed them.

Every contract things change as the Union and UPS negotiate changes in thee Terms and Conditions of the contract.

Try this logic that many are posting here when you go buy your next car or getting a house built.

JMO - Wryly smiling from the sidelines.
Isn't the split raise a concession? Loosing the language for the creation of "x" amount of FT time jobs a concession? PTers no longer getting top pay, concession. No raise for PTers in the '84' contract, concession.They having to wait longer for there Opt week, concession. 2 and a 1/2 year progression, concession. Cover drivers, concession. Changing the COLA language to where it's harder to get, concession. Brother, I didn't keep every contract book or the information sent with the "concessions" from every contract vote but I'm sure there is more to list. Not attacking ya brother, but if we really sit back and think about it we have taken concessions. Well, in my eye's we have. But I guess it's obvious everyone will see things differently.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I'm not certain if this would be considered a 'concession' but i'd certainly accept two or three years with no raises for full timers at top pay in exchange for bringing part time pay to realistic levels.