Would you take concessions?

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
How much should we make delivering a package to someone's door, $40, $50 an hour. How much more do you want?

It's not a package to a door!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's 400 pieces and 175 stops today dd cut out the wazoo with a broken up trace along with 17 pickups with 1 having 135 pieces loading and pallet jacking myself thank u!! Along with 5 schools that I broke trace to pull off that each had 20+ large boxes of books up stairs and down long hallways All my schools were shelf loaded and out of sequence which screwed my other 170 stops up and so missorted out of sequence my head spun outta place.

Also 7 Frigidair 15000 btu air conditioners to 7 completely different addresses no were near each other.

It's the freaken recliner Chair on call R.S. pick up I had with all this.

The freaken 15 bulk C.O.D.s for a few Ghetto stores that had NO $$ the past 2 days.

The freaken Table in a box Delivery to the old lady on the 3rd floor in a multi unit house.

Should I continue on todays journey that I had. and all this at a $16.10 cover rate.

No concessions. I've been waiting 4 that pay since day 1 and will b ticked if a panzi votes in concessions before I finally make it to a Perm FULL TIME SEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Concessions. LOL.

Backlasher

concession package_NI3

Concession package_NSCO/P

Concession package Exception 2

Concession package_NSN

Concession package_NSS

Concession package_missed.

Return to sender.

Get My Drift?

ftballer67

40 to 50 $ an hour? Just remember that most of us in this company are part time making nowhere near 30$ an hour. If you full time guys want to give away your raises then so be it, but don't bargain away ours. We need & deserve them!

Backlasher

40 to 50 $ an hour? Just remember that most of us in this company are part time making nowhere near 30$ an hour. If you full time guys want to give away your raises then so be it, but don't bargain away ours. We need & deserve them!

Agreed, we were, most of us were part time once.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
The only way part timers will be taken seriously is when they are willing, as a group, to get involved. The 97 strike was the last time that happened. I agree with your sentiment, but remember it's all about votes. There are a lot more pt'ers than ft. FT' ers can't bargain away anything, without pt'ers support, unless they just fail to vote. Plain and simple. And yes I was pt when I got hired.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
How much should we make delivering a package to someone's door, $40, $50 an hour. How much more do you want?

How much should a supervisor make for sitting in his car and spying on drivers in order to meet his warning letter quota, $40 or $50 an hour? How much more do they want? And how much more management dead weight can each driver continue to carry?

brown_trousers

The only way part timers will be taken seriously is when they are willing, as a group, to get involved. The 97 strike was the last time that happened. I agree with your sentiment, but remember it's all about votes. There are a lot more pt'ers than ft. FT' ers can't bargain away anything, without pt'ers support, unless they just fail to vote. Plain and simple. And yes I was pt when I got hired.

I don't see this "vision" of part-timers being involved ever happening. There was a time many decades ago when working part-time at UPS was a decent paying job and because of that, many of those part-timers were able to see what the union could offer and were involved in the union process. Now fast forward 20 years.... part-time work at UPS makes less than minimum wage in some places and as such, attracts workers that don't care about being involved in a union.

Here are some numbers to ponder;

- Part-time starting wage in 1982 was $8.00 /hr

- Inflation statistics put that number equal to $17.82 /hr for the year 2010

- That means the union has essentially supported a $9.82 pay cut for us part-timers over the years.
Is there really any surprise that part-timers aren't more involved?

Last edited:

soberups

Go spend 11 hours lumping 3 tons of freight in and out of a package car on a 100+ degree day and then get back to us when you know what the hell you are talking about.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
I don't see this "vision" of part-timers being involved ever happening. There was a time many decades ago when working part-time at UPS was a decent paying job and because of that, many of those part-timers were able to see what the union could offer and were involved in the union process. Now fast forward 20 years.... part-time work at UPS makes less than minimum wage in some places and as such, attracts workers that don't care about being involved in a union.IHere are some numbers to ponder;- Part-time starting wage in 1982 was $8.00 /hr - Inflation statistics put that number equal to $17.82 /hr for the year 2010 - That means the union has essentially supported a $9.82 pay cut for us part-timers over the years.Is there really any surprise that part-timers aren't more involved?
"The union", is it's members. As for pay and benefits, we all vote for them, and the majority decides what the group as a whole will end up with. The last contract was passed with a majority supporting the pay rates we currently have. I started in the late 80's @ $8 an hour. It sucked then, it still sucks. Waiting for FT workers to agree to help PTers who won't get involved is going to be a dismal failure. The PT group in 97 got mobilized and garnered loads of FT support because of their commitment. The contract we currently have is exemplary of what happens when PTers are not united. I for one hope that this does not repeat itself in 2013.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Go spend 11 hours lumping 3 tons of freight in and out of a package car on a 100+ degree day and then get back to us when you know what the hell you are talking about.

Sober, we have both been doing this for about the same time and, as such, both know what the hell we are talking about. I happen to agree with MFR. I feel that I am fairly compensated for what I do. I'd be curious to hear your answer to his question--"How much more do you want?"

MFR2010

I know part timers work hard , but take the skilled wage and add two years. Then add medical benefits and pension contributions. I bet you have one the best compensation packages for part timers in this country. I don't think your going to find many jobs that come close to that. For the person who posted that UPS pays lower than minimum wage, come on think about that statement again.

Backlasher

Sober, we have both been doing this for about the same time and, as such, both know what the hell we are talking about. I happen to agree with MFR. I feel that I am fairly compensated for what I do. I'd be curious to hear your answer to his question--"How much more do you want?"

Sorry for the intrusion but, that depends on how much more of a reduction in time allowance and how much of an increase in stops,while being expected to work safe, drive safe, use hand rails, walk at a brisk pace, don't run but do more in less time.

I think the real focus should be on inforcing, Nationally:

drivers taking Real Lunch between 12-3 with diad locked out during that time,

focus on Real time studies with Union involved to make sure of the studies accuracy,

push for a 9 hr. or less workday.

That would almost gauranty reduced work, safer, more realistic job and an increase in fulltime drivers.

I would push for that and then except wage stay were it is but not reduced.

It's foulish to think we should have our routes spreed out further from add cuts, increase our stop counts and argue that there is "NO EXCUSE TO NOT WORK SAFE".

It's foulish to add all the extra stops on a driver just to have another driver luckily finish his route at a decent hour on friday just to have to hop 2 routes away to bail out that over dispatched Driver.

We need reality put back into our work load and safety 1st in real terms not speeches, lectures and paperwork.

I can be drilled every morning on all methods with pop quizes but as soon as I C air added to me from a route 2 areas away and still have 165 stops it all gets washed out the window.

Late work hrs. and high stress levels cause of production push is NOT safe. A 10 hr day for us drivers is much more stressful then any other 10 hr+ or more days work elsewere due to driven safe and other hazards to our own self. Who really needs over time at top rate unless budgit is out of focus.

We need 2 focus on these THINGS with a hard UNION PUSH.

I think UPS needs to take a concession on their work loads before anything else.

804brown

How much more do I want?? Enough to compensate for an increase in my daily expenses. Things go up everyday therefore my wages should reflect that. I understand that health care expenses go up big time but if UPS wants to lower their costs in this area they should help push for Medicare for All legislation and stop bitching!!

krash

Go big orange
Backlasher,
Good points. To the one who made the outrageous statement, "how much more", the contract is more than just wages. So is he saying "yes" to concessions? Crazy! We have many area's that need improvement and now is not the time to give back. Management in our area has become unhinged and giving out warning letters like candy for everything. Plus they are overloading pkg car drivers and harassing them every morning and through out the day. Plus the partimers make 1/4 per hour what we make. And we need to be combining shifts to create more FT jobs.

soberups

The title of this thread is "would you take concessions?"

Based upon UPS's continued profitibility, I see no rational basis for concessions to even be discussed.

I am less concerned with a pay raise for FT drivers, and more concerned with an increase in wages and benefits for our PT workforce as well as language improvements for issues such as excessive OT, production harassment and subcontracting. A pay raise for myself is quite frankly the least of my worries.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The title of this thread is "would you take concessions?"

Based upon UPS's continued profitibility, I see no rational basis for concessions to even be discussed.

I posted along these lines earlier and asked what UPS drivers would be willing to give up for the things that they desire. That is the nature of negotiating a contract.

Some posters start out by saying nothing but then they follow up by saying all the things they want.
Everything has a cost associated with it and that will have to be negotiated.

I think another thread could be started whose title is:
What do you want and what would you give up for that?

Okay, I'll start it!

brown_trousers

I know part timers work hard , but take the skilled wage and add two years. Then add medical benefits and pension contributions. I bet you have one the best compensation packages for part timers in this country. I don't think your going to find many jobs that come close to that. For the person who posted that UPS pays lower than minimum wage, come on think about that statement again.

My father was a part-time worker at UPS back in the 80s, he tells me from part-time wages he afforded his own apartment, a car payment, and the first three years of college (But he was paying tuition out of his paycheck, he didn't get the edcor). Just ask around the part-timers at your building if they could afford these things from part-time wages now.

Those medical benefits do you little good if you can't afford to keep a roof over your head