Would you take concessions?

hembone

I had read also that the increased profit is from increased air volume. I believe that air volume was up 23% this year.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

http://www.cwalocal1106.org/index.php

For those of you who think that a company that is making record profits will not try to seek concessions during contract negotiations, you need look no further than the employees of Verizon, who are currently on strike as they were unwilling to accept the more than 100 concessions the company is seeking. Click on the link above and take a moment to read through the material and you will see why, when coupled with the current economic and business climate, I think that 2013 will be our most contentious contract negotiations thus far.

MFR2010

The Verizon workers striking, are all land line employees. The majority of the profits are coming from wireless. The land line part lost a million customers for the year. I'm not sticking up for Verizon and I don't agree with that many concessions, but its a shrinking industry.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The Verizon workers striking, are all land line employees. the majority of the profits are coming from wireless. The land line part lost a million customers for the year. I'm not sticking up for Verizon, and I don't agree with that many concessions, but its a g industry

How would you translate this to UPS, where the majority of the profits come from those divisions of the company other than package?

MFR2010

Go back to the last contract. If we've grown we get more, if were down we make concessions, or if were even then everything stays the same. I agree with the strike if Verizon wouldn't budge on the 100 concessions, its still a profiting unit, I was just trying to show that its not like Verizon wanted concessions on a growing part of the company.

tourists24

Land line Verizon workers' jobs are declining because there is not as much demand for the service. UPS driving jobs arent the same. There is still plenty of demand for our services. Technology and things like surepost are taking some jobs off the road but the demand for package delivery is still there. And as long as UPS is turning a profit, I feel no need to make any concession.

krash

Go big orange
Land line Verizon workers' jobs are declining because there is not as much demand for the service. UPS driving jobs arent the same. There is still plenty of demand for our services. Technology and things like surepost are taking some jobs off the road but the demand for package delivery is still there. And as long as UPS is turning a profit, I feel no need to make any concession.
I agree 100%. There is no need for concessions since we've given up so much over the previous contracts. But UPS will ask and we need to stand our ground and demand improvements.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
The demand for us is down. The volume we use to deliver isn't there now.
With the lower volume, due at least in part to surepost and route cutting, I am willing to concede at least a part time sup. Or two.

Griff

UPS isn't making record profits off us. Look at the earnings a little bit closer, small package has been about flat every quarter. So we should get more because other parts of the company are growing and profiting? And a strike, are you kidding, if we were to strike in 2013, half the jobs would never come back. Then what would we have gained? Jonfrum, really devastating concessions at YRWC. If it wasn't for those devastating concessions, YRWC would be gone. What's so devastating about that? Some of you can be so greedy.

The only reason that earnings in small package are flat is because UPS has a pack of criminal yes-men and neanderthals running and managing it. Most people on this board will tell you that EDD/PAS is NOT a money saver in real life. We have been on it for years now and I still see at least 3 other UPS drivers on my route and have at least 2-5 misloads daily, this never used to happen. There is a ton of wasted miles, gasoline and hourly wages due to UPS's inability to allow center managers to actually run their center like a business instead of a kindergarten. You have nobody to blame but yourselves, don't look at the union employees and ask for any more. Penny wise and pound foolish -- just imagine how much money this company could REALLY make.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The only reason that earnings in small package are flat is because UPS has a pack of criminal yes-men and neanderthals running and managing it. Most people on this board will tell you that EDD/PAS is NOT a money saver in real life. We have been on it for years now and I still see at least 3 other UPS drivers on my route and have at least 2-5 misloads daily, this never used to happen. There is a ton of wasted miles, gasoline and hourly wages due to UPS's inability to allow center managers to actually run their center like a business instead of a kindergarten. You have nobody to blame but yourselves, don't look at the union employees and ask for any more. Penny wise and pound foolish -- just imagine how much money this company could REALLY make.

Griff for CEO.

22.34life

are you serious, have you seen ups profits earnings.if anything ups should be making up for the shi*y contract we got this time.

krash

Go big orange
are you serious, have you seen ups profits earnings.if anything ups should be making up for the shi*y contract we got this time.
Think about how much more money they could make by down sizing the management staff. They have way too many and could due with less. Now you need the hour-lies to perform the work but it doesn't no where the amount of sups to harass the employees that they have. Heck, they could save alot of time by harassing them as a group in the PCM and in would only take 1 center manager to perform that duty instead of doing it on an individual basis. LOL!

iowa boy

How much should we make delivering a package to someone's door, $40, $50 an hour. How much more do you want?

But why should we even think about giving up our raises, or our health benefits, or pension bene's, or any other benefits we currently have when UPS is making fistfuls of cash while everyone works longer hours and has to put up with more and more bull****.

What would you rather have?

MFR2010

I'm not crying, I just can't believe someone would complain about this last contract. We were getting raises while other people were losing their jobs. Poor us.