watdaflock?

If that's the case there were many winter days we shouldn't have worked at all. I can only recall 2 days out of 30 years where work was called off because of snow and that was ONLY because our feeders couldn't make it to the center. If the packages got to us we were dispatched. I once had 4 or 5 stops around a large lake and drove by everyone of them because I knew I would be stuck the second I stopped. Brought them all back. Nothing was said.
What do you mean "if that's the case" why should you not work?
He works inside and has no idea what he’s talking about.
Oh, so since you're a driver, you would have attempted going through the snow, like in the photo?

Please, explain why walking off packages instead of getting stuck is a bad thing?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

Oh, so since you're a driver, you would have attempted going through the snow, like in the photo?

Please, explain why walking off packages instead of getting stuck is a bad thing?
Because you can’t always walk everything off. When it snows, you’re going to have to drive in it at some point.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There is nothing wrong with walking off a residential if the driveway is not clear—-it is quite another to walk off what appears to be a commercial building on a city street.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

Should he/she have parked in the street where they would have obstructed traffic ??
Like Dave said, better to be stuck in a commercial parking lot than a driveway.
One could lead you to be charged with an accident (UPS policy here when calling in a tow FROM a customer's driveway)

Rack em

Made the Podium
Should he/she have parked in the street where they would have obstructed traffic ??
One could lead you to be charged with an accident (UPS policy here when calling in a tow FROM a customer's driveway)
I think it depends on the center. Our center has tow companies on speed dial because we deal with a lot of snow and mud, but no one ever gets charged with an accident.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I think it depends on the center. Our center has tow companies on speed dial because we deal with a lot of snow and mud, but no one ever gets charged with an accident.

We are told explicitly not to be in residential driveways. I agree it depends on center management.
It's a catch-22 when you are rural delivery and you have no choice sometimes but to take the chance.
We had a driver get suspended last year for getting stuck and tearing up a lawn.

watdaflock?

Thank you Captain Obvious. Yes, if pulling into a snow covered pathway of a business which has not been plowed, best to avoid it. As for parking for a moment in a lane with the hazards on......? Of course no UPS driver has ever done it.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Thank you Captain Obvious. Yes, if pulling into a snow covered pathway of a business which has not been plowed, best to avoid it. As for parking for a moment in a lane with the hazards on......? Of course no UPS driver has ever done it.
Until you drive for a living, you might want to save the comments because you just don’t know. It’s easy to tell others what they SHOULD do, kinda like being an armchair quarterback.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
The driver was an idiot for attempting to make it through that nonsense, instead of walking it off.

That looks like some of our highway systems. Like Clock says, when it snows here, the tow companies just hire more drivers because we WILL get stuck and we can't walk off our S* while driving to route.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
IMG_0832.JPG
....you find a PAL label stuck to the back of your sweatshirt after arriving home.

One week left.

Lets hear some other examples.

Rack em

Made the Podium
If you look at the front tire of that truck it looks like maybe there was only about 5 or 6 inches of snow. Around here we used to call that a "dusting" of snow. It looks like he may have got stuck trying to cross a snowplow ridge. (Should have blasted that M'fer doing about 40)
I was gonna mention how it doesn't look that that much snow in the picture. Rock the vehicle back and forth a few times and he should have been able to easily get out.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I was gonna mention how it doesn't look that that much snow in the picture. Rock the vehicle back and forth a few times and he should have been able to easily get out.
If he revved his tires fast enough, you usually build up some ice under the tire quickly.
Some sand might have helped but every situation is different.

Heavy Package

With regards to the driver who got stuck...Been stuck a few times myself. Every situation can be different. The problem is UPS will micro-manage and arm-chair quarterback this :censored2:it to no end. I hope we seriously address a better working environment this contract.

4evapreloader

My God, this has to be one of the lamest threads ever. A pal label stuck to your clothing??? That can happen on a slow day. How about a 6 foot by 6 foot mountain of misses that management does their best to pretend is not there?

In any case, in my building peak is actually the best time of year. Double the volume, but it's spread out among twice as many cars in twice the amount of time. I'm probably doing 150 PPH as opposed to my usual 200+ the rest of the year.