35years

Gravy route
I heard they are giving away gift cards for feeda drivers who recruit new drivers...
upload_2018-3-11_22-42-56.jpeg

Non sequitur

Reading the stories on here has changed my mind about going into feeders.

This last peak was totally draining in package working 13.5 to 14 hours for 6 weeks strait. I was ready to make the switch to feeders. We dovetail seniority and I would likely be able to work days at this point. I was not going to switch until I would not have to bounce shifts or work nights.

I have seen many marginal (at best) package drivers who made the switch.
I have heard all the comments about how much easier feeders is. But I definitely have the easiest route out of hundreds in my area. My hours are completely under control using the 9.5 list, except for 6 weeks of peak. It has been a decade since they have even attempted to harass me for production. Could not care less about their warning letters for other piddly stuff.

The thought of pulling all that weight while struggling to stay awake is not something I want to experience. I don't do the kind of miles feeders does but after decades of 200 mile days in package, I have seen driving situations that will scare the crap out of you, no matter how careful you are.

Guess I will finish it out in the brown box or sweep floors until I am done.
And I thought we were all a bunch of dumb truck drivers. Good post.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
If you had to turn a set and brake that hard going more than 45 mph, to avoid something, pinching the set will be the least of your worries.

The back box will already be in the processes of flipping before they came anywhere close to pinching together.

I know of quite a few interstate ramps, going from one highway to another, where 45MPH is very common, and safe. They're not real hard benders, but more gradual turns.

It's turns like that which make.me wonder how those dollies would behave. I've never used one.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Reading the stories on here has changed my mind about going into feeders.

This last peak was totally draining in package working 13.5 to 14 hours for 6 weeks strait. I was ready to make the switch to feeders. We dovetail seniority and I would likely be able to work days at this point. I was not going to switch until I would not have to bounce shifts or work nights.

I have seen many marginal (at best) package drivers who made the switch.
I have heard all the comments about how much easier feeders is. But I definitely have the easiest route out of hundreds in my area. My hours are completely under control using the 9.5 list, except for 6 weeks of peak. It has been a decade since they have even attempted to harass me for production. Could not care less about their warning letters for other piddly stuff.

The thought of pulling all that weight while struggling to stay awake is not something I want to experience. I don't do the kind of miles feeders does but after decades of 200 mile days in package, I have seen driving situations that will scare the crap out of you, no matter how careful you are.

Guess I will finish it out in the brown box or sweep floors until I am done.

It's all relative. At first it is intimidating, but with time, it becomes completely normal.

I thought I might have trouble with nights too, but now that I've done it, it's what I prefer. I sleep great during the day and it's nice driving with very little traffic.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I know of quite a few interstate ramps, going from one highway to another, where 45MPH is very common, and safe. They're not real hard benders, but more gradual turns.

It's turns like that which make.me wonder how those dollies would behave. I've never used one.

A 45 mph gradual turn is no problem for the T dollies. There is still plenty of room between the two trailers, approximately 12 inches. Does not seem like much, but you would be losing control or flipping the back box before the two trailers would touch.

Making a sharp turn, if the dolly failed to extend, would pose a problem.

The Ward3n

Hello I’m a long time reader but first time poster in the forums. I have a question and am seeking guidance in regards to Feeders. I’m unsure if it has been answered in a different thread already, I have scoured the threads but was unable to find it.

Recently there has been a FT feeder position opening in my Center. No FT drivers have bid on the route. There is myself and another who signed the bid. Both of us are TCD and “Feeder Covers”. My counterpart has had an accident that is within the recent year while I have not. He does have more seniority than myself.

I’ve been told that Feeder management can promote per their discretion even if they have an accident on record. However in the union book it states
“When a permanent vacancy occurs in the feeder classification and there are no full-time employees to fill the vacancy, the employer will offer the opening to part-time employees, who can qualify Before hiring from the outside. Any part-time employee wishing to fill a feeder vacancy must meet the same criteria as someone hired from the outside. A copy of these qualifications will be provided to the Local Union upon request.”

Does anyone know specifically what these requirements are? My steward says an outside hire has the same qualifications as a TCD which is no accidents/tickets on record within the past year in order to bid a FT slot.
What are my options? Or what would you recommend I do? Thank you for your time in regards to this post.

Johney

Hello I’m a long time reader but first time poster in the forums. I have a question and am seeking guidance in regards to Feeders. I’m unsure if it has been answered in a different thread already, I have scoured the threads but was unable to find it.

Recently there has been a FT feeder position opening in my Center. No FT drivers have bid on the route. There is myself and another who signed the bid. Both of us are TCD and “Feeder Covers”. My counterpart has had an accident that is within the recent year while I have not. He does have more seniority than myself.

I’ve been told that Feeder management can promote per their discretion even if they have an accident on record. However in the union book it states
“When a permanent vacancy occurs in the feeder classification and there are no full-time employees to fill the vacancy, the employer will offer the opening to part-time employees, who can qualify Before hiring from the outside. Any part-time employee wishing to fill a feeder vacancy must meet the same criteria as someone hired from the outside. A copy of these qualifications will be provided to the Local Union upon request.”

Does anyone know specifically what these requirements are? My steward says an outside hire has the same qualifications as a TCD which is no accidents/tickets on record within the past year in order to bid a FT slot.
What are my options? Or what would you recommend I do? Thank you for your time in regards to this post.
Sign every bid regarding feeders and if you think you've been screwed grieve it.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day

Talk to your business agent about how to transfer to feeders from part time. It is usually different in each local.

barnyard

KTM rider
You and the other guy have already been to feeder school??

Your post reads like you and the other guy are temp covers and also qualified to cover feeder vacations. If that is the case, whichever of you signs the bid will get it. If neither of you have been to feeder school, it would fall to 1 year of accident free driving. However, past local practice would take precedence. You are best signing the bid and speaking to your BA.

Indecisi0n

This might seem funny but when sleeper teams are running and one guy is sleeping in the back is he belted in somehow in case of an accident?

Knothead

Yep.
There is a retaining net, sorta like a load retainer, that is supposed to keep him in the sleeper berth in case of an accident but I don't think they ever use it.

Kick it back....
There is a net, and I use it all the time. My co-driver has put me in the net a few times with hard braking. Without the net it felt like I would have been face first out the windshield.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
There is a retaining net, sorta like a load retainer, that is supposed to keep him in the sleeper berth in case of an accident but I don't think they ever use it.

Kick it back....

If they don't use it they are fools, I've been thrown againts that net many times in the limited number of sleeper runs I've covered.

Before I went on my first sleeper run I assumed that since distances we're longer on many of the legs the pace would be relaxed. Not so, the time constraints on many legs are tight which is why so many contractor loads are late. If a train or sort is late it's tough to catch up.

Those guys earn their money!