Johney

I'll never involve myself in a sleeper team situation. I just can't trust someone else behind the wheel while I sleep or would I want to put someone's life in my hands while they do the same. I'm well past the point of sleepiness while driving at 3:00 am, but just the point of a deer or whatever causing me to fly off the road and risking someone's life besides mine. I could never live with that if it were to happen. I'll pass.

35years

Gravy route
When on a open highway and I am traveling faster than group of say 5 trucks, the last truck in the group will intentionally move to the left lane at the last moment to block me from passing. This is unsafe.

He will then travel only 1/2 to 1 MPH faster than the 4 trucks in the right lane. Sometimes the truck in the left lane will travel at the same speed as the trucks in the right lane for many, many miles, blocking traffic. This sometimes causes road rage in other drivers.

I assume it is done so that cars do not pass the trucks at a high rate of speed.
I think the truckers should at least not jump lanes at the last moment and the left lane driver should travel at least 2-3 MPH faster than the right lane trucks.

Two questions:
Are these "convoys" illegal?
Does UPS discourage feeder drivers from doing this?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
When on a open highway and I am traveling faster than group of say 5 trucks, the last truck in the group will intentionally move to the left lane at the last moment to block me from passing. This is unsafe.

He will then travel only 1/2 to 1 MPH faster than the 4 trucks in the right lane. Sometimes the truck in the left lane will travel at the same speed as the trucks in the right lane for many, many miles, blocking traffic. This sometimes causes road rage in other drivers.

I assume it is done so that cars do not pass the trucks at a high rate of speed.
I think the truckers should at least not jump lanes at the last moment and the left lane driver should travel at least 2-3 MPH faster than the right lane trucks.

Two questions:
That was never brought up in my training but you will see trucks running together at 5-10 miles over the speed limit...I let them pass and get a good laugh out of seeing “professionals “ with 1/2 a second following distance between each of them...

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I'll never involve myself in a sleeper team situation. I just can't trust someone else behind the wheel while I sleep or would I want to put someone's life in my hands while they do the same. I'm well past the point of sleepiness while driving at 3:00 am, but just the point of a deer or whatever causing me to fly off the road and risking someone's life besides mine. I could never live with that if it were to happen. I'll pass.
Can you imagine working in a place like Lenexa,KS where you would pretty much get stuck on a sleeper team sometime throughout your career....I know there are some places that have dozens of sleeper runs...

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
That was never brought up in my training but you will see trucks running together at 5-10 miles over the speed limit...I let them pass and get a good laugh out of seeing “professionals “ with 1/2 a second following distance between each of them...
Stay back and see it all !!!!!!!!!
I don’t care how long it takes me , I’m going home to my family at the end of the day !!

Johney

Can you imagine working in a place like Lenexa,KS where you would pretty much get stuck on a sleeper team sometime throughout your career....I know there are some places that have dozens of sleeper runs...
No I couldn't. If that were my only option I never would go into feeders.

Johney

Two questions:
I always like the guy whose running a governed tractor at say 67 mph and I'm doing 65,said guy has just got to get by me and he's comes around and hits that wind wall or vacuum(whatever it's called)and just can't get by and seems to be stuck there. So now you gotta slow down to let him by mean while cussing and flipping you off for going slow as he goes by.

jaker

trolling

Two questions:
I drive at 50mph so I don't have that issue and it makes them mad and not me , I will get there when I get there

Coldworld

60 months and counting
If they don't use it they are fools, I've been thrown againts that net many times in the limited number of sleeper runs I've covered.

Before I went on my first sleeper run I assumed that since distances we're longer on many of the legs the pace would be relaxed. Not so, the time constraints on many legs are tight which is why so many contractor loads are late. If a train or sort is late it's tough to catch up.

Those guys earn their money!
They run hard out there...like a gypo

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

Nope.

I think the truckers should at least not jump lanes at the last moment

True.

But they don't care. It's all about them.

The left lane driver should travel at least 2-3 MPH faster than the right lane trucks.

Sometimes impossible.

Governed tractors or speed limit restrictions.

Nope.

Yup.

TG43

Does anyone have advice who to talk to about getting into feeders? And not any local union people, I tried, they are useless. Maybe HR or something? I've been in package for 4 years.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Does anyone have advice who to talk to about getting into feeders? And not any local union people, I tried, they are useless. Maybe HR or something? I've been in package for 4 years.
Start with having a cdl or at least a permit , contact the feeders steward

barnyard

KTM rider
You have to sign a feeder school bid, which will qualify you for a feeder job. Until you are UPS qualified, you cannot sign a feeder bid. All you can do is ask when the next feeder school bid will be hung in your building. It has been 8 years since a feeder school bid was hung in my building.