Knothead

Yep.
It's all fun and games until you're trying to get through a corner in front of traffic and it shifts you from 3rd to 6th going up an incline and you fall flat on your face. I've even had the piece of *hit go from 2nd to 4th and have absolutely no throttle response. Umm, I'm trying to get through an intersection here. And then when you've come to a crawl it'll downshift to 3rd and give you power again. Then it'll shoot you to 2000 rpm's and shift to 6th. Absolute garbage.
I hear ya. I just give up and shift the B* manually.

P

pickup

Someone told me that when i first started driving them and I tried it and didn't notice a difference. I may have done something wrong and didn't actually turn it off as i was new to feeders then. I will try it again the next time I drive one.

I believe an indication that the hill assist is successfully disengaged is the the “truck on the hill” image on your dashboard.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I've learned that if you feather the gas lightly it doesn't happen as much.
Once the tractor gets under the trailer if it doesn't catch I stop completely. Then I'll feather gas very lightly.

Why do I have the strong suspicion your posts were autocorrected !!!!

il_570xN.1276941239_lflj.jpg

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I wouldn’t know. I get stuck with all the junk tractors. Internationals and Sterlings.

Covered one job a few weeks ago with an automatic Mack. That was sweet.
Makes a big difference having an auto... dont like to drive a :censored2:ty stick and have my knee almost go out after a night of clutching...

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I think some of the younger guys like to slam into it ... make everybody turn around to see the bad ass feeder driver making a bunch of noise.... and getting whiplash...lol

ManInBrown

Makes a big difference having an auto... dont like to drive a :censored2:ty stick and have my knee almost go out after a night of clutching...
It really does. When I first went to feeders I covered a few jobs where I had an automatic and it was such a relief. Now I’m so comfortable I don’t even care. Obviously I’d rather have an automatic like you said to save my knee but it’s nit anything I spend a second thinking about. I had a horrible international tractor a few weeks ago but the AC was ice cold. I’d take that tractor every week if I could.

Knothead

Yep.
It really does. When I first went to feeders I covered a few jobs where I had an automatic and it was such a relief. Now I’m so comfortable I don’t even care. Obviously I’d rather have an automatic like you said to save my knee but it’s nit anything I spend a second thinking about. I had a horrible international tractor a few weeks ago but the AC was ice cold. I’d take that tractor every week if I could.
I'll take a S*tty International over the beep-fest any day. Those things move.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
My assigned tractor is an old international, I got no problem with it. Turns on a dime, pulls like a beast, and the AC will freeze your hands to the steering wheel. I mostly bop around local, 7 or 8 TA's and usually build at least 2 sets a night and it's perfect for what I do.

over9five

Staff member
My rating of automatics, best to worst:

Mack
Freightliner
International
Kenworth

I'm currently assigned a Freightliner, which I would describe as "acceptable" in terms of it's shifting AND pulling out from a stop into traffic.
We have one auto Mack which is pretty awesome.
The Kenworths imho, are frikken dangerous. Stopped waiting for a space in the traffic, floor that accelerator and count 3 full seconds before it does anything. Scary crap, sometimes you have to abort or you'll cause an accident. Couple that with that damn alarm that starts sounding when you're 3/4 of a mile behind another vehicle... Are you serious? I'm too close?? Before my Freightliner, I was in a Kenworth for a long time. You can back under a trailer without hitting the pin at 30 mph, but it takes time to get used to the vehicle (and they're all probably a little different). You should be letting the air out of the bags before going under in any airbag equipped tractor, and reinflating before you hit the pin.

ManInBrown

I have an armrest in my 268 International...never once have I had it be in the way shifting gears.
Ok. Well the tractors I’ve used it has been in the way. Lol. I also have short legs even though I’m 5ft11. So I’m sitting very close to the steering wheel which might have something to do with it being in the way.

Yaba Daba Do

Donkey Punch Extraordinaire
I like the old Internationals. They have great power, most shift nicely, and I like the steering in them a lot better than in newer tractors. The newer tractors it seems like I have to do a lot more moving of the steering wheel to keep it going straight but those Internationals go pretty much straight if you hold the wheel straight. That said I will still take a newer tractor over an older one because of the bells and whistles like blue tooth and softer suspensions. The sterlings on the other hand are pieces of smile*. I would rather take a shifter or a package car than a sterling.

Yaba Daba Do

Donkey Punch Extraordinaire
How are the CNG and LNG tractors compared to the diesels? Is there less power or do the transmissions feel any different. We don't have and because we don't have room in the yard to put the pumps.