The Real Jack RyanMI6

With the introduction of 22.4s and the higher ups management talking about 6 day a week pkg delivery for the past 3 or 4 qtrs on the quarterly earnings call, what do you see as the challenges and changes in feeders. As we know it will start with ya all first then trickle down to us package drivers. Thanks for the reply and may your road be dry and smooth. Jryan

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
With the introduction of 22.4s and the higher ups management talking about 6 day a week pkg delivery for the past 3 or 4 qtrs on the quarterly earnings call, what do you see as the challenges and changes in feeders. As we know it will start with ya all first then trickle down to us package drivers. Thanks for the reply and may your road be dry and smooth. Jryan

A lot of places already have 7 day a week feeder operations

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...

As I said in an earlier post, it’s you package car drivers that appear to be on the tip of the spear. We shall see if the 8.2 hour day we keep hearing about in package car becomes the norm.

I don’t know of any changes as of yet in feeders. Where I’m at, there are very few jobs that are under 9.5 hours, outside of the shorter road jobs that idiot, burners turn in under 8. There’s just no way most of our road jobs can be done under 9.5, unless shortcut is your middle name.

They ARE training feeder drivers as fast as they can. We’ve been told that is to fill the proposed sleeper team jobs that are in this new, crap contract. I suppose they could use these drivers to eliminate OT for all of local and shifter positions.

At this point, nothing would shock me. Here, we are adding a bunch of new jobs. What I can say, is that I’ve gotta see anything before I believe it, when it comes to this company. That includes all of these new 22.4 jobs. I just don’t see who is going to do them.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
They only need to add 100 sleeper runs by the end of next year....does anyone really think they will be adding sleeper runs earlier than mandated when they could use contractors instead?

Also, from sleeper teams I've talked with it sounds like SDFAS and Mesquite are already short enough sleeper teams to almost cover the 100 needed. Just another way DT was duped in this contract, negotiate the hiring of sleeper teams that already needed to be hired.

All I know is the FNN tells me many buildings are already overstaffed in feeders and still hiring... It doesn't make much sense.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
It is incredibly hard to fill jobs from outside hires. Low pay. Layoff. Terrible hours.
They have been filling the gaps with subcontractors
I predict more subcontracting

brostalss

Six months in and I'm loving Feeder. I still have much to learn. I still ask senior Feeder drivers questions and ask for opinions.

Last night I had a questionable tire on my trailer. Asked two Feeder drivers, both said get it changed out. They couldn't get the tire off. They had to recycle the load.

Pre-trip Pre-trip Pre-trip.

brostalss

Me too. I work 11pm. Sun-Thur. I get off about 9 Friday morning. I usually lay down for a few hours in the afternoon, then have a normal Friday night. Normal night Saturday, then I usually only lay down about 4 or 5 on Sunday afternoon, for about 4 or 5 hours of sleep. That’s the only day I don’t get 8 hours of sleep. And that’s because I slept normal on Saturday night.

I have the same kind of run next week. I'll do the same as you on Sunday. I watch college football not the pros so I won't miss anything.

brostalss

4A96C83B-0EE0-49D4-8E34-61D986FF6198.jpeg

Would you have taken a trailer with a tire like this?

The Real Jack RyanMI6

As I said in an earlier post, it’s you package car drivers that appear to be on the tip of the spear. We shall see if the 8.2 hour day we keep hearing about in package car becomes the norm.

I don’t know of any changes as of yet in feeders. Where I’m at, there are very few jobs that are under 9.5 hours, outside of the shorter road jobs that idiot, burners turn in under 8. There’s just no way most of our road jobs can be done under 9.5, unless shortcut is your middle name.

They ARE training feeder drivers as fast as they can. We’ve been told that is to fill the proposed sleeper team jobs that are in this new, crap contract. I suppose they could use these drivers to eliminate OT for all of local and shifter positions.

At this point, nothing would shock me. Here, we are adding a bunch of new jobs. What I can say, is that I’ve gotta see anything before I believe it, when it comes to this company. That includes all of these new 22.4 jobs. I just don’t see who is going to do them.
Thank you for the reply im starting to be of the opinion that after this contract is fully implemented feeders may be the only way ill wish to stay no matter what the financial ramifications may be. Its never been altogether pleasant in package, however it may in fact be altogether unbearable once everything ups truly has in mind is implemented
Anyway the way it appears to be happening at least from what you said is what i thought on my first read of the contract, hirebabton of feeders then RPCD'S will fill in until 22.4 Tuesday through Saturday are up and running then it will start getting serious even the most diehard yes voters will start raising an eyebrow . As most RPCD'S are at 40 hrs and the young ones are at 32 per week due to when work available clause then they will roll out discipline from technology to keep production up and forced Orion. We truly dont run Orion now we only interpret Orion. What i mean by that is on courts instead of doing u turns to save miles we go all the way and turn around at the end to reduce backing. With the rollout of the next gen diad we will be directed to follow Orion not interpret it. So today i probably had my ave of 7 to 11 backs. If i followed Orion it would have been at least 45 to 50 backs to save miles.

Last edited:

Hadjabear

Anyone else's shop mechanic act like you're taking money out of their pocket for wanting a trailer fixed before taking it out on road? I can usually find a problem in every rail trailer from a light out to brakes not adjusted or broken pin keepers.

Indecisi0n

Anyone else's shop mechanic act like you're taking money out of their pocket for wanting a trailer fixed before taking it out on road? I can usually find a problem in every rail trailer from a light out to brakes not adjusted or broken pin keepers.
You don't have any zip ties?