barnyard

KTM rider
If there's no mechanic, it was on when I left.

If there is a mechanic, I will get it fixed no matter how long it takes.

Same, same.

I am pretty sure that according to the DOT, you cannot pull away from a facility that has a mechanic, with a defect, but you can pull to a facility that has a mechanic.

Someone left an empty with a red tag on it at a customer facility. I checked the tag, it was for an inspection. Called dispatch and they said to pull it back to the hub and tag it there. My plan if I got pulled over was to call dispatch and have that person explain that a supe OKd it to pull. Turned out, there was no problem.

Trash Panda

Do you not have the new CCR upgrade in your IVIS?
As far as i know its current. I was issued one of the newer phones vs the ones that were being used over holiday peak which had severe connection problems with them. Constant restarts as well. These new phones seem half as bad.

Johney

As far as i know its current. I was issued one of the newer phones vs the ones that were being used over holiday peak which had severe connection problems with them. Constant restarts as well. These new phones seem half as bad.
The latest upgrade has a "Validate CCR" button on the outbound load screen.

Trash Panda

The latest upgrade has a "Validate CCR" button on the outbound load screen.
Yes, it has that. Basically verifies the equipment is available.

Odd question do some places use physical red tags we can toss on equipment. Seems like a better option vs letting it slip through the E-crack

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
when i was relief and shifted the yard we were told to check the inspection sticker before putting the trailer on the door. after awhile it was easy to spot a trailer that had an expired sticker. not many.

of course some fell thru the cracks. would I pull one? No. we have a shop so I would take it there for an inspection. usually an hour to an hour an a half and that did not include maintenance.

LIABILITY should be in every driver's mind . you pull one of these trailers and get into an accident and hurt or kill someone it doesn't matter what a dispatcher or feeder supe told you on the phone. it is the DRIVER"S FAULT!

I've heard you can run a wire between the 10 and 2 o'clock pins in the electrical cord when any lights fail on the trailer. This should illuminate all lights on the trailer to get you home incase anything fails while outbound. Anyone here tried this?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
but you can pull to a facility that has a mechanic.

Correct, but it is to the nearest repair facility.

I've heard you can run a wire between the 10 and 2 o'clock pins in the electrical cord when any lights fail on the trailer. This should illuminate all lights on the trailer to get you home incase anything fails while outbound. Anyone here tried this?

Yup. You jump the two pins on the rear 7-way

I actually carry a cut off light cord plug that is rewired to do that exact same thing.

It does not fix a burned-out light bulb though.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Incorrect.

They, as in the shifter, who put it on the door, is an employee, not management.

And the shifter's duties does not entail checking lights on the trailers he puts on the door.

The responsible party for this is the driver who pulled it in and did not do a proper post trip.

Yes, sometimes lights burn out when you first turn them on, but for the majority of the times there is a light out, it was not working when it was pulled in from the last driver and he was too lazy to do a post trip and write it up.

You’re right, it’s a driver’s responsibility to post-trip the equipment—don’t get me started on these type of drivers—but it’s still UPS’s equipment, and by law, it needs to be in working order.

It’s not our job to pick which rules we will obey.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
but it’s still UPS’s equipment, and by law, it needs to be in working order.

You're right, but how does UPS know that the equipment is not in working order if their employees, us, don't tell them.

It is our responsibility, the employees that drive their equipment, to write up any defect found during our post trip.

And incidentally, it is not only our responsibility, it is the law.

We are required, by law, to do a post-trip and to report any defects in the equipment.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
It’s not our job to pick which rules we will obey.

And no, UPS will not discipline you for refusing to pull a trailer that has a burned-out light.

So you say you have to follow all the rules and you can't pick and choose which ones not to follow.

Fair enough.

How many times have you driven above the posted speed limit?

Dracula

And no, UPS will not discipline you for refusing to pull a trailer that has a burned-out light.

So you say you have to follow all the rules and you can't pick and choose which ones not to follow.

Fair enough.

How many times have you driven above the posted speed limit?

Generally, I’m right at the speed limit, or a couple mph within it. But if I did speed, that’s a personal choice and if I get a ticket, that’s on me. But as far as equipment, I do what I was trained to do. If it’s required by law, I’m going to get every problem fixed before I get on the road.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
If it’s required by law, I’m going to get every problem fixed before I get on the road.

So do you have access to the one UPS shop that will actually fix ABS issues on trailers? It looks like a ABS light/system gives the company the exact same amount of CSA points as an expired DOT inspection, 4. As an example driving without signing off on the daily DVIR report is also a 4 point violation, but those 4 points would go to the driver.

Faulty clearance, ID and marker lights would be 2 CSA points to the driver. A faulty headlamp, tail or brake light would be 6 points to the driver. A missing mudflap is one point to the driver.

This was the easiest list I could find to read:

CSA Vehicle Maintenance Severity Chart | Infinit-I Workforce Solutions

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Generally, I’m right at the speed limit, or a couple mph within it. But if I did speed, that’s a personal choice and if I get a ticket, that’s on me. But as far as equipment, I do what I was trained to do. If it’s required by law, I’m going to get every problem fixed before I get on the road.

And I do not have an issue with that. You do not have to pull it and will not get disciplined for it. That is your right.

This issue happens very rarely. A trailer with a clearance light out at a center or hub with no mechanic on duty.

And I do not do it for UPS, I do it for the customers to receive their packages on-time.

I will not let a load sit, and possibly miss service on an entire trailer, because there is a burned out light bulb, and no mechanic to fix it.

I blame the lazy driver who brought it in did not post trip it, not UPS.

A customer is not going to get their package on time because a driver did not do his job, and obey the law, by doing a proper post trip?

No turn signals or brake lights, let it sit. Those are safety issues.

Indecisi0n

And I do not have an issue with that. You do not have to pull it and will not get disciplined for it. That is your right.

This issue happens very rarely. A trailer with a clearance light out at a center or hub with no mechanic on duty.

And I do not do it for UPS, I do it for the customers to receive their packages on-time.

I will not let a load sit, and possibly miss service on an entire trailer, because there is a burned out light bulb, and no mechanic to fix it.

I blame the lazy driver who brought it in did not post trip it, not UPS.

A customer is not going to get their package on time because a driver did not do his job, and obey the law, by doing a proper post trip?

No turn signals or brake lights, let it sit. Those are safety issues.

I also take my management team into consideration here as well. Again, they are not ball busters and we are on the same page. If it was anything like package car I'd kindly return the favor of being a @#$$ and I'd rightfully refuse a lot of trailers.

Johney

I also take my management team into consideration here as well. Again, they are not ball busters and we are on the same page. If it was anything like package car I'd kindly return the favor of being a @#$$ and I'd rightfully refuse a lot of trailers.
I agree. Someone is going to pull that trailer I guarantee it they always find someone and that time will come when you need a favor and they will remember you holding up a load over something simple.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I agree. Someone is going to pull that trailer I guarantee it they always find someone and that time will come when you need a favor and they will remember you holding up a load over something simple.
that's asinine.

give the company an inch and they will take a goddam mile every freakin time.

do things legal all the time , not when it is convenient. difference between a professional and a hack.

Johney

that's asinine.

give the company an inch and they will take a goddam mile every freakin time.

do things legal all the time , not when it is convenient. difference between a professional and a hack.
Says the hack who claimed to drive balls to the wall during snowstorms. Besides you never worked here anyways so move along.

Dracula

Well, here we don’t have that cozy management/employee dynamic. Our feeder managers are the new breed. They never went driving and typically come from the hubs and dispatch offices.

In other words, they know it all. I had one ride with me one night and I asked him about not having road experience. He told me, through the management feeder school in Chicago, his training was the equivalent of 7 years of driving experience. In four weeks.

True story.