quad decade guy

Question to the sleeper team drivers....Did the company go nationwide on the new policy of maximum utilization on sleeper runs? Meaning you don 't come back to your home domicile the whole week. It started down here last week. Driver I keep in touch with got 18 hours of delay time last week. Makes sense to me.
Yes....it's called reoptimization. Nationwide. A lot of weekend work was added to those sweet 4 day runs...They ain't happy.

trickpony1

Is the paper log requirement because the IVIS doesn't know how to calculate 12 hour days especially if it runs into the next calendar day?

Wild guess.....

Made brown

The only reason you would need a paper log at this point is because maybe UPS's version of the ELD built into the IVIS isn't in compliance with the federal rules .
Ups asked for an exemption regarding their ELD a while back, not sure if it is expiring soon.

I never understood why UPS wanted to use a proprietary system that isn't compatible with all the rental trucks that they have been using.

browned_out

If you do not return to home domicile in under 12 hours, you are required to turn in a paper log. That is from your start time to either log off duty or on duty not driving , not the last time you were at your terminal/hub/yard.
I still have not been able to find this language on the DOT website.

browned_out

The only reason you would need a paper log at this point is because maybe UPS's version of the ELD built into the IVIS isn't in compliance with the federal rules .
Ups asked for an exemption regarding their ELD a while back, not sure if it is expiring soon.

I never understood why UPS wanted to use a proprietary system that isn't compatible with all the rental trucks that they have been using.
I sent in pictures of the ivis log and my dispatch says it’s good. Not sure why they need it, since it’s already in the ivis and should be available as per DOT rules.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
I just wanted to post this and see if any other feeder drivers have received this message on their ivis. We received this on Thursday of last week, we are in California in case your wondering.

I can’t find any information on the DOT website to clarify that this needs to be done???? Of course our dispatch is of no help, no real answers. I did hear that one of our buildings failed a DOT audit and this is why we are being told to comply.

I’ll try to find out more info and post it, seems bizarre because I believe the ivis makes a log that can be emailed to whoever. So why we have to fill out a paper log seems redundant.
That’s a new one on me. I go over 12 on a daily basis and have never been asked to do a paper log. Your IVIS is a DOT approved log, why do they need another one?

Made brown

That’s a new one on me. I go over 12 on a daily basis and have never been asked to do a paper log. Your IVIS is a DOT approved log, why do they need another one?
That is my thinking, its meets the requirements of the ELD mandate, something is wrong somewhere.

Buffet Master

FEEDAH FATTY
The language is stated within the 100 air mile exemption, which was in effect for previous jobs I had. But as stated above, if UPS does not use that then I'm not sure why they'd want paper logs. A misinterpretation by someone sending out these ivis messages it would seem.

No LEO's on this board? Usually there is one or two that belong to most big trucking boards.

I still have not been able to find this language on the DOT website.

Because it's not a thing. If we weren't a part of an approved e-log system, then that would apply. As we are a part of a DOT approved e-log system, no paper logs are required by DOT, unless there is a system failure of some sort.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Because it's not a thing. If we weren't a part of an approved e-log system, then that would apply. As we are a part of a DOT approved e-log system, no paper logs are required by DOT, unless there is a system failure of some sort.
It’s my understanding that if your IVIS is malfunctioning and you have to do a paper log then you can’t go further than 100 miles.

Back From Break
You can go as far as your 14/16 hours allow, you're still on a log. You cannot go more than 150 air miles without a log.

The language is stated within the 100 air mile exemption, which was in effect for previous jobs I had. But as stated above, if UPS does not use that then I'm not sure why they'd want paper logs. A misinterpretation by someone sending out these ivis messages it would seem.

I can’t find any information on the DOT website to clarify that this needs to be done???? Of course our dispatch is of no help, no real answers. I did hear that one of our buildings failed a DOT audit and this is why we are being told to comply.

I’ll try to find out more info and post it, seems bizarre because I believe the ivis makes a log that can be emailed to whoever. So why we have to fill out a paper log seems redundant.

If you use the short haul exemption, you do not have to keep a log. One of the short haul rules is that you need to be clocked out within 12 hours.

So, if you are not keeping a log because of the short haul exemption, but then go over 12 hours, the short haul exemption no longer applies and you need to fill out a log.

I don't know why they have him fill out a paper log and why the IVIS is not keeping a log, even under the short haul exemption.

Although, I know places that CPU drivers use a DIAD, instead of the IVIS. In this case, if they go over 12 hours, they need to fill out a paper log.