Back to building time

MendozaJ

Most of our drivers came from preload and still cover it. It's funny to see 60 year old men ripping 30 minute trailers while the young bucks are at an hour wondering who is this guy haha.

I'm in it for driver. Wake up at 12:30-1am everyday, walk a couple miles to work, load or unload, walk home and do it again.

Honestly though I think I'm the only person who has done a seasonal and has come back. Now that I think about it, when I started some guy I've never seen since said "you went through that and wanted to come back?".

I had stuff stacked out in the parking lot for 4 trucks this morning and the drivers were cool about it, I told them sorry it's the best I can do but no misloads, xyz is sorted in abc, etc. Told two of them it was worse than the peaks I've seen and it was like "oh wow this guy came back to this circus". Gave me 1200 packages for 4 cars and pushed our start time out.. that'll do nothing but make us work longer (not that I mind), but make drivers work later (which I do mind because that'll be me one day).

It ain't hard to do a job. Not everyone can be 9-5. I did that from 18 to 28 and did another office job at my university for 4 years. I was depressed just wanting to die. Then I picked up manual labor and it helps. I'm not the most able-bodied or of complete sound mind, but I can work until your average person falls to the floor in exhaustion and do it right and do it again and not care. It pays the bills. No sense letting it drive you mad.

Hear, hear. Office life was not for me. I like my little moving office. No one bothers me. No nosy co-workers. I can walk away from annoying customers (call the 800 number...). Grunt work is more rewarding IMO. The physicality extends to my extracurricular outdoor activities. I am no longer hot, cold, or tired. Sure, the hours are sometimes a grind, but I don't like my check after an "easy" week either (under 50 hrs).

LongIslandNewbie

Its harassment. Yesterday they threw me on a route I had done 1 time before and that was a year ago in a well to do area with all huge estates. I told them from 11am I am going to need help and i got harassed allll day to be back by 8. I didn't take a break, i did 152 stops, and 11 pick ups I had to pick up 14 checks from commercial customers all of which didn't have them ready for me. I got back to base at 8:40, and i didn't clock for lunch because I was so pissed. This morning the manager called me in to ream me about not clocking out for lunch, i said if I clocked and took 1 hour lunch i would have been back at 9:30. They said i had a route that should have been done at 8pm and what took me so long. It took all my will to not tell them to friend%$# Off and quit.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Its harassment. Yesterday they threw me on a route I had done 1 time before and that was a year ago in a well to do area with all huge estates. I told them from 11am I am going to need help and i got harassed allll day to be back by 8. I didn't take a break, i did 152 stops, and 11 pick ups I had to pick up 14 checks from commercial customers all of which didn't have them ready for me. I got back to base at 8:40, and i didn't clock for lunch because I was so :censored2:. This morning the manager called me in to ream me about not clocking out for lunch, i said if I clocked and took 1 hour lunch i would have been back at 9:30. They said i had a route that should have been done at 8pm and what took me so long. It took all my will to not tell them to friend%$# Off and quit.
Who cares. Everytime they told me to be back by 8 my ETA would of gotten later

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
Its harassment. Yesterday they threw me on a route I had done 1 time before and that was a year ago in a well to do area with all huge estates. I told them from 11am I am going to need help and i got harassed allll day to be back by 8. I didn't take a break, i did 152 stops, and 11 pick ups I had to pick up 14 checks from commercial customers all of which didn't have them ready for me. I got back to base at 8:40, and i didn't clock for lunch because I was so :censored2:. This morning the manager called me in to ream me about not clocking out for lunch, i said if I clocked and took 1 hour lunch i would have been back at 9:30. They said i had a route that should have been done at 8pm and what took me so long. It took all my will to not tell them to friend%$# Off and quit.
You're letting them get to you.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Do it!!!

Show'em who's really boss

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
Why am i being harassed to be back at 8 when orion says i should be done with my last stop at 930? I've been getting messages all day to hurry up and i had to run a gun to be back by 8 with no break. This makes no sense. I dont like taking short cuts
You do realize those green light messages they send you have no weight behind them. As long as you don't go over 14 hours they can't do anything. Don't give in to their stupid games. Stand your ground. You're not here to make friends with management. Screw them

Ghost in the Darkness

They try that control crap with the newer drivers... eventually all you'll learn is how to play the game and stick it right back to them. Idiots in the office get bored with vending machine trips and smoking breaks so they heckle the ones who actually earn their paychecks. Just like when you first start out you learn how to be a delivery driver, you will eventually have to school your sups about what you are going to put up with. When they want to play their games, make them pay.

Fragile

The push for production is starting to blow up in their face and the front line management knows it. Turnover is high among management and hourlies. Throw in workers comp, accidents and other factors involved with this business. The unfortunate San Francisco shooting.

Unfortunately UPS always reacts too late and never proactively responds to anything so the damage is done. In all the years I've been here I've never seen anyone in management come by with some fresh ideas. Always worried about getting through the day. Why do you think the hourly mentality is not to demonstrate exceptional performance. Management created this environment. With a disgruntled workforce how do you ever expect to promote the business.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Now that I`m nearing 30 years I don`t care! LOL

I thought the same thing. Then our pension tanked. Now I'm just stuck. Only good thing, is a full brown truck each day. But, that gets old too. I'll have 30 next November. Only 6 yrs to go. Yeah

CanOSup

One of them
Stop running...come back after 14 hours if you need to...you aren't gonna get a pat on the back around here...you will get more work for skipping breaks and running...screw them

What horrible advice..."Hey, why don't you just intentionally violate a DOT regulation that's your responsibility to understand and follow. That will teach them...." If management dispatches you with 24 hours its still your responsibility to be back before 14 hours....its the law...

Bringing back missed at 13.99 hours on road will hurt. Coming back to the building after 14 hours intentionally equals buh bye.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
What horrible advice..."Hey, why don't you just intentionally violate a DOT regulation that's your responsibility to understand and follow. That will teach them...." If management dispatches you with 24 hours its still your responsibility to be back before 14 hours....its the law...

Bringing back missed at 13.99 hours on road will hurt. Coming back to the building after 14 hours intentionally equals buh bye.
Uh I mean after working 14 hours be back...not longer than 14 hours....can-o-dumb