joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Let me give it a shot.

Welcome to UPS. You have found the site HR has warned you about. Brown Cafe is a place for UPS employees to gather and share information about the company and to blow off steam. Most people here have been there, done that, got the bad knees to show it. Before asking questions check out the search function. Most issues have been discussed and while it may seem new to you, most of us have heard it all before. If we don't take your concern seriously, relax and join in the fun.

Again, welcome to Big Brown and remember, it's just cardboard.

In the central region if you become full time as an off the street hire once your thirty days is over and you are a seniority employee you have to work eight calendar weeks to be vested for you Teamcare health benefits. This is obviously for permanent full time employees and does not apply to part timers.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
For drivers: Stay hydrated. Get organized. Always keep your next few stops set up and ready to go on the shelf. Set up the bulk stops at the back on the floor so you can push them right out onto your cart at the stop. Keep your air deliveries, ground deliveries, air pickups, and ground pickups segregated. if you can, concentrate on businesses earlier in the day until you become accustomed to your route. You can always come back for residentials. Get a good flashlight or spotlight for finding house numbers in the dark and so you can see where you're walking. Take note of where you should be along the route at certain times of day to keep things running smooth. When in doubt, call for an air recovery, it's not worth getting back to the building with your air pickups late. Don't deliver late air, don't have missed pieces, don't have accidents or injuries, and follow the methods. As long as you do those four there's not much they can do to you.

For belt workers: Stay hydrated. You will be sore for the first couple weeks but your muscles will get used to it. Work as quick as you can but don't overexert yourself. You have nothing to prove; get help lifting heavier stuff. Make a game out of it: have races, tell jokes, or play jenga; it makes the time go much faster and more enjoyable.

Last edited:

542thruNthru

To all helpers!

Keep looking for another job.

Your chances of becoming permanent are slim to none.

I know you work hard but in all honesty the driver is probably the only person at UPS that knows your name.

The driver CANNOT get you hired permanently so stop txting us.

Good luck

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If you are a female helper, the pants they issue you will NOT fit properly. They will sag badly in the back and hang so low that your butt crack and undies are exposed. Dont worry about it, just wear jeans or khaki pants instead. Your driver wont care what you are wearing as long as you show up on time and are a good worker!

You've Got Mail

#1) I had a pre-employment drug test.
#2) Do drivers really not care what the helpers wear? I'm wearing my uniform as a first-time helper tomorrow. Is this a mistake?

browntroll

anyone know if they allow long sleeve undershirts for driver helper? i have eczema and dont want to flare up on the road due to uniform.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
#1) I had a pre-employment drug test.
#2) Do drivers really not care what the helpers wear? I'm wearing my uniform as a first-time helper tomorrow. Is this a mistake?
You need to wear your uniform if it fits properly, but if the pants dont fit then just wear clean jeans or khakis. Your driver will be far more concerned with your ability and work ethic than he will be with your uniform.