35years

Gravy route
You know why I feel so confident about it? It’s not because I’m arrogant. It’s not because the company says it’s going to happen. It’s because you guys can’t even get people to vote on a contract, for the union president, or even show up for meetings. But there is going to be a strike over it?

I’ll believe it when I see it.

Who said strike?
UPS just has to negotiate the terms, like any other change.

So much for the "reasonable" manager act.

Time to tow the company line.

Trying to split the opposition I see..

JL 0513

Is it me or is this just another rumor? Seems like a lot of things get said on BC about what the company is "planning".

If this was a good idea, wouldn't FedEx, with no union protection, already be doing this?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
What do you mean hide? I think UPS will openly embrace this in the future. Will be looked at like Uber for packages. Hell they could even partner with Uber drivers and they could deliver boxes in their area while waiting for customer to pick up. They could be paid by the box then.
Then your essentially saying the union will cease to exist.

None of these things will happen while we are still employed union workers.

35years

Gravy route
Is it me or is this just another rumor? Seems like a lot of things get said on BC about what the company is "planning".

If this was a good idea, wouldn't FedEx, with no union protection, already be doing this?

Teamsters Reject UPS Proposal for Full-Time Seasonal Personal Vehicle Drivers

Seasonal Personal Vehicle Package Driver at UNITED PARCEL SERVICE
"Dear Al:

I have had the opportunity to review the company’s June 30, 2017, proposal to create a new classification of Full-time Seasonal Personal Vehicle Drivers (“PVD”). I must advise you that the Teamsters National UPS Negotiating Committee rejects the concept in the strongest possible terms, for the reasons set forth herein.

As you are aware, the preamble to Article 1 of the National Master Agreement expresses the parties’ “mutual intent of preserving and protecting work and job opportunities for the employees covered by this Agreement.” The placement of that mutual commitment in the first substantive provision of the contract was not inadvertent. It emphasizes the company’s obligation to maintain and protect the job opportunities of its employees, our members.

Further evidence of that assurance is the company’s pledge that “no bargaining unit work will be subcontracted, transferred, leased, assigned or conveyed except as provided in this Agreement.” It is our view that the company’s proposed creation of a PVD classification breaches these fundamental commitments as well as the company’s obligations under Article 1, Section 4.

Article 40, Section 1(i) is the only contractual provision that permits a current classification of employees to utilize their personal vehicles to deliver packages in extraordinary circumstances; i.e., where no other means of delivery is possible. As you know, that exception is limited to air packages. There is nothing in the contract that permits the use of non-company vehicles to deliver or pick up ground packages. And the painstakingly drafted and endlessly negotiated rules regarding the transport of air packages contain numerous restrictions designed to protect bargaining unit work and prevent the erosion of terms and conditions of employment, consistent with the mutual interest expressed in Article 1. Those protections and/or limitations do not appear in your proposed PVD draft. Your proposal neither provides job opportunities for current employees nor full contractual benefits and protections for the seasonal drivers. I point this out because, in my view, the proposal undercuts the standards established for the workers who currently provide these delivery services and would constitute a threat to the bargaining unit on a par with any other means of subcontracting, etc. prohibited by Article 1.

In short, we have no intention of permitting the company to utilize seasonal employees to transport ground packages in their own vehicles. We would consider any attempt by the company to initiate such a program to be a violation of the current contract and will invoke all of our rights to prohibit such implementation. And I highlight, if such is necessary, the significant financial penalties the company will face if it is found to have violated its pledge in Article 1, Section 4 that it will not to establish a parallel work force to which it can divert bargaining unit work.

Sincerely,

Sean O'Brien, Director
Package Division"

Sean O'Brien Fired, then...

img_0790-jpg.155906

Last edited by a moderator:

OrionsBitch

Not...

Nobody said they were planning this full-time. Simply said I can see them trying it in the future.

clean hairy

Should be interesting in Colorado.
Some guy reeking of whacky tobaccy showing up at you door. "Hey man, here is your stuff"
Then, I visualized Peak Season with Cheech and his helper Chong delivering!
The old Geezers will know who these guys are.
The young whippersnappers will have to look them up to know who I am talking about.

35years

Gravy route
anigif_enhanced-buzz-10799-1374629284-4.gif

An on-car took pkgs from me one peak to "shuttle" to another driver.
As he drove away, I saw the pkgs flying out the back of his pickup bed on to the road.

OrionsBitch

Not...
Should be interesting in Colorado.
Some guy reeking of whacky tobaccy showing up at you door. "Hey man, here is your stuff"
Then, I visualized Peak Season with Cheech and his helper Chong delivering!
The old Geezers will know who these guys are.
The young whippersnappers will have to look them up to know who I am talking about.
The issue isn't with them delivering. It's them delivering a box of weed to another stoner and then having a clan bake instead of finishing the route.

Delivery!!!

Seems to me they already do in a sense with their home delivery division. The concepts don't seem that far apart.

JL 0513

Seems to me they already do in a sense with their home delivery division. The concepts don't seem that far apart.

Is that not a legitimate division? Real FedEx trucks, etc.
Without a union FedEx can essentially implement whatever they want to save money. They could do Uber-FedEx year round and no one could stop them. They don't because it's stupid.

worldwide

Does everyone know that UPS has an equity investment in a company called Deliv? They primarily serve the same-day delivery market so it's not really that big of a leap to see this expanding. Deliv already has contracts with thousands of retailers and are already doing this with independent contractors. Take a look at the list of who they already make deliveries for - lots of familiar names of companies that still ship with UPS but also companies that no longer use UPS (or FedEx) to the extent they use to.

Now instead of that Macy's box being shipped through UPS, it can go direct to the consumer right from Macy's - no need for a UPS driver. Times are changing, people want their stuff faster and UPS can either adapt to the market or retailers will simply find a company that can meet their needs and a price they, and their customers, are willing to pay. No doubt, UPS drivers are the hardest working in the industry as well as the best compensated. Can this go on forever while the market is trending in the opposite direction? UPS has lots of investments in emerging technology companies and Deliv is just one example.

Somewhat related to this is an article titled UPS Drivers: The GOLD Standard! The word gold is capitalized for a reason. The author makes the following observation:

"Last Wednesday, 9/13/17, I received an e-commerce delivery from a contracted delivery driver. He was un-uniformed, wearing a T-shirt, shorts, and sneakers. The delivery was completely unremarkable and I was a satisfied consumer. Maybe this driver made $12 an hour and probably has no benefits. My UPS driver makes between $25 and $35 per hour, has outstanding benefits and a generous pension. In other words, my UPS driver makes a living wage and that is why I believe my UPS driver is probably going away. I simply do not see how UPS can continue to support their drivers with generous salary and benefits while their competition pays contracted drivers less than half of what a UPS driver earns."

Does everyone know that UPS has an equity investment in a company called Deliv? They primarily serve the same-day delivery market so it's not really that big of a leap to see this expanding. Deliv already has contracts with thousands of retailers and are already doing this with independent contractors. Take a look at the list of who they already make deliveries for - lots of familiar names of companies that still ship with UPS but also companies that no longer use UPS (or FedEx) to the extent they use to.

Now instead of that Macy's box being shipped through UPS, it can go direct to the consumer right from Macy's - no need for a UPS driver. Times are changing, people want their stuff faster and UPS can either adapt to the market or retailers will simply find a company that can meet their needs and a price they, and their customers, are willing to pay. No doubt, UPS drivers are the hardest working in the industry as well as the best compensated. Can this go on forever while the market is trending in the opposite direction? UPS has lots of investments in emerging technology companies and Deliv is just one example.

Somewhat related to this is an article titled UPS Drivers: The GOLD Standard! The word gold is capitalized for a reason. The author makes the following observation:

"Last Wednesday, 9/13/17, I received an e-commerce delivery from a contracted delivery driver. He was un-uniformed, wearing a T-shirt, shorts, and sneakers. The delivery was completely unremarkable and I was a satisfied consumer. Maybe this driver made $12 an hour and probably has no benefits. My UPS driver makes between $25 and $35 per hour, has outstanding benefits and a generous pension. In other words, my UPS driver makes a living wage and that is why I believe my UPS driver is probably going away. I simply do not see how UPS can continue to support their drivers with generous salary and benefits while their competition pays contracted drivers less than half of what a UPS driver earns."
Quit paying the shareholders, Management and put some money back into the company

And

And and

And And And

Scrap Orion

35years

Gravy route
Does everyone know that UPS has an equity investment in a company called Deliv?

Management propaganda at contract time...every-time.

25+ years ago I heard the same song and dance before every contract...

(Insert company name here) is going to run us out of business. They pay their drivers half as much etc. etc. Times have changed, we can't continue to pay you guys a living wage...

Last I checked, UPS makes billions.

Rack em

Made the Podium

Don't think it's just a rumor. I remember our center manager saying something about this last month. I pray our union puts a stop to this idea, because it will eliminate more and more union jobs! This is definitely something to strike over!

Box Ox

Seasonal Personal Vehicle Package Driver at UNITED PARCEL SERVICE

Seasonal Personal Vehicle Package Driver
MARINETTE, WI

Candidates must have a personal vehicle that meets UPS standards. Personal Vehicle Drivers must have proof of a registered vehicle for use, minimum state required auto insurance, and must be 21 years of age or older. Trucks cannot be over 10,000 pounds and must have a covered and secured bed. Vehicles cannot have low rider suspensions, oversized rims, aftermarket blacked out windows, other company’s logos or markings, and must be free of bumper stickers, political stickers, offensive markings etc.

This is a physical, fast-paced, outdoor position that involves continual lifting, lowering and carrying packages that typically weigh 25 - 35 lbs. and may weigh up to 70 lbs. Personal Vehicle Drivers must have excellent customer contact and driving skills. Qualified applicants must have a valid driver’s license issued in the state that they live. A DOT physical exam is not required for this position. No at fault accidents within the last 3 years; no moving violations within the last 12 months. Candidates may be required to travel to an identified start location that is away from the facility. Personal Vehicle Drivers are expected to comply with UPS appearance guidelines and wear the company-provided uniform.

Full-time UPS employees work eight or more hours during weekdays (Monday through Friday). Saturday and Holiday work may be required/available intermittently throughout the season. Typical operating hours are from 10:00 am and 6:00 pm.

This job posting includes information about the minimum qualifications (including the UPS Uniform and Personal Appearance Guidelines), locations, shifts, and operations within the locations which may consider my application. An applicant or employee may request an exception or change to, or an accommodation of, any condition of employment (including the UPS Uniform and Personal Appearance Guidelines) because of a sincerely held religious belief or practice.