bbsam

Staff member
I'm beyond lost as to how they keep their independent contractor status going.
They pay off lawmakers. It's kinda messed up. They're all about deregulation and limiting government control but when it comes to contractors, they can't exert enough of that same limiting control.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
The whole idea makes no logistical sense. Roughly a dozen stops per trip, leaving out all larger parcels. So you send out a guy to an area that is a half hour round trip to run off a few side streets? All while bringing down the image of UPS where a kid jumps out of a beat up Civic with your package? At the worse, this may happen for peak, but not year round.

If UPS wanted to, perhaps they could've implemented permanent on car helpers year round where drivers would be doing 250 stops year round and you could drop 1/3 of routes. There's a reason the union hasn't allowed this type of tactic.

Better bump that 250 up a bit

Got guys around here doing 250 by themselves everyday

Tiereffinthree

if the Teamsters bend the knee in the next contract, selling out the PT and new guys so the senior guys "get theirs" as is their tradition, absolutely

One of the truest statements I've ever seen on here. Yes we point fingers at management but honestly...it's the old fart cry babies who continue to ruin things on the union side. Then they call anyone under 45 that ever complains "entitled." Far from it.. We didn't get to experience UPS in the good old days. Nothing entitled about that.

Faceplanted

One of the truest statements I've ever seen on here. Yes we point fingers at management but honestly...it's the old fart cry babies who continue to ruin things on the union side. Then they call anyone under 45 that ever complains "entitled." Far from it.. We didn't get to experience UPS in the good old days. Nothing entitled about that.
It can also be argued that the new Guys are selling out by not knowing their rights thanks to the contract, delivering ground for air driver rates, skipping their lunch, and not being involved in the union or for what it stands for.

Faceplanted

You did describe runner gunners to a T. I called them out too. Not all new guys can be painted under a broad brush.
I have personally attempted to "mentor" and I have seen other drivers to the same. New full time guys complain about being sent home, we tell them file, they say they don't want a target. Some work tue-sat, and still come in Monday per our dispatch sup, sit around. Sometimes work and get off a tue, sometimes get sent home. We tell them listen, you are tue-sat. Don't come in Monday. The union will have your back. Next week their all there Monday again.

No balls. We have the pay and benefits we had because our more senior brother made sacrifices up to and including a strike.

I'll be honest, I would suspect a good 10-20% would cross the line at the modern ups I work for

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Who said strike?
UPS just has to negotiate the terms, like any other change.

So much for the "reasonable" manager act.

Time to tow the company line.

Trying to split the opposition I see..
I've seen it about a dozen times on here.

I'm not a manager, but I'll accept the pay bump. I'm pretty reasonable as far as UPS goes.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Is it me or is this just another rumor? Seems like a lot of things get said on BC about what the company is "planning".

If this was a good idea, wouldn't FedEx, with no union protection, already be doing this?
I'm scheduled to go to a PVD trainer class next month. It's no rumor

Edups

Oh. And remember in the the 90's RDI was implemented to save money! (Rural Delivery,danget, forgot what I stranded for) This is when a driver would deliver pkgs to the north and west one day then to the south and east the next. No xxxx just through the pkgs under the belt at the center and hall ass. Try explaining that to your customers that you tried to earn respect for 20 some odd years. I would get responses from customers like, sorry Ed my box should have been hear yesterday, I may just have to go with another carrier, Sorry.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Don't think it's just a rumor. I remember our center manager saying something about this last month. I pray our union puts a stop to this idea, because it will eliminate more and more union jobs! This is definitely something to strike over!
They're peak drivers. No union jobs are going anywhere.