35years

Gravy route
Seems like a waste to pay people to load a shuttle then shuttle stuff to a location and then take time to unload it into a spot and then load another car and deliver it. I think that's only for peak because stops are extremely dense. I think it would be easier to have preloaders stack out some stops and the PVD can pull in and pick then up and go deliver. Cuts out the middle man in a way.
Unless you are trying to hide what is happening.

OrionsBitch

Not...
Unless you are trying to hide what is happening.
What do you mean hide? I think UPS will openly embrace this in the future. Will be looked at like Uber for packages. Hell they could even partner with Uber drivers and they could deliver boxes in their area while waiting for customer to pick up. They could be paid by the box then.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
He's not asking about peak season. It was a hypothetical for if they implement this year round.
You don't gain anything with them leaving the building. The point of PVDs is to minimize extended volume. It's easier and more efficient to have you knock off a bunch of in town stuff and give them the rural stuff. That is the point of them. To reduce minimize stops that are a pain in the ass and explode driver's days.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Seems like a waste to pay people to load a shuttle then shuttle stuff to a location and then take time to unload it into a spot and then load another car and deliver it. I think that's only for peak because stops are extremely dense. I think it would be easier to have preloaders stack out some stops and the PVD can pull in and pick then up and go deliver. Cuts out the middle man in a way.
Try working in an extended center. When I was in one we did that exact thing every single day.

35years

Gravy route
What do you mean hide? I think UPS will openly embrace this in the future. Will be looked at like Uber for packages. Hell they could even partner with Uber drivers and they could deliver boxes in their area while waiting for customer to pick up. They could be paid by the box then.
It has to be negotiated first.

35years

Gravy route
You don't gain anything with them leaving the building. The point of PVDs is to minimize extended volume. It's easier and more efficient to have you knock off a bunch of in town stuff and give them the rural stuff. That is the point of them. To reduce minimize stops that are a pain in the ass and explode driver's days.
The rural "stuff" is typically handled by the highest seniority drivers.
Do you think they will stand by while you divert their stuff to non-Union Uber drivers?

JL 0513

The whole idea makes no logistical sense. Roughly a dozen stops per trip, leaving out all larger parcels. So you send out a guy to an area that is a half hour round trip to run off a few side streets? All while bringing down the image of UPS where a kid jumps out of a beat up Civic with your package? At the worse, this may happen for peak, but not year round.

If UPS wanted to, perhaps they could've implemented permanent on car helpers year round where drivers would be doing 250 stops year round and you could drop 1/3 of routes. There's a reason the union hasn't allowed this type of tactic.

oldngray

nowhere special
giphy.gif

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Well, shoot!

Even if my pension fund would waive penalties, that would be a deal breaker for me.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Do you have the personal assurance of Hoffa?
Or are you just spouting the company line?
You know why I feel so confident about it? It’s not because I’m arrogant. It’s not because the company says it’s going to happen. It’s because you guys can’t even get people to vote on a contract, for the union president, or even show up for meetings. But there is going to be a strike over it?

I’ll believe it when I see it.