GROUND IS TAKING OVER EXPRESS

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It's being implemented slowly over the next 6-12 months and initially with intra-market freight. Freight can be retained by Express whenever and wherever there's a possible issue with Ground.

It's as if the people who put this together are a step or two ahead of the message board CEOs.
By and large, they're getting some of the work that isn't profitable for us. The Express network isn't built for, and isn't designed to profit under, a large volume of cheap e-commerce shipments. If we can sub those out at a profit, or at a greater profit than we had doing it ourselves, fine by me.

Genius...pure genius. Just like all of the other incredible decisions that put them in their current bind.

I await the lawsuits and unionization of Express.

bacha29

Genius...pure genius. Just like all of the other incredible decisions that put them in their current bind.

I await the lawsuits and unionization of Express.
Spot on. Express isn't going to pass that volume off to ground at cost. They're going to want a margin for it. When Ground gets it they'll want a margin from it before they pass it off to the contractors. The contractors in turn will want a margin off it before they assign it to their employees for final delivery. So by that time you're down to zero benefits and fast food wages which in some if not many cases will be state minimum. How much are you going to get for that kind of money.

In regard to the prospect of Express having to take back a lot of the volume they would otherwise pass to Ground.... I believe that they will due to a considerable extent by the inability of Ground contractors to find people willing to work for next to nothing. The work is simply too labor intensive, working conditions too poor, qualifications too high and pay too damn low to acquire clean and sober people with a work ethic in sufficient quantities . The disparity between the value demanded and the value offered will simply be too great. It simply cannot help but to have a negative impact on expectations.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Ground drivers will be forging more customer signatures too now that there’s going to be more on their plates. They seem to get away with it a lot with no more than a slap on the wrist with a wet noodle.

yadig

Ground guy talking to ups driver: what they paying u man?
Ups driver: I make $30+ a hr with overtime, traditional pension, up to 5 weeks vacation, sick pay. Etc..
Ground guy: dang!! I’m getting screwed! Y’all hiring?

dezguy

Ground drivers will be forging more customer signatures too now that there’s going to be more on their plates. They seem to get away with it a lot with no more than a slap on the wrist with a wet noodle.
They won't have to. Anything dsr or sig required will be staying with Express. Anything going to ground is stop, drop and roll

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Yeah, butt it's now going to be a harder goal to become a UPS RPCD ...

with the lower bar of incoming 22.4 drivers that their union allowed, you'll be in a lower income bracket for some time. @Whither , u a regular driver or a 22.4?

I hated warehouse work since you're confined in a building. & with a 22.4, it's now a mixed bag.

Sure, it still beats FXE or FXG compensation, butt one better get Intel of their local UPS hubs/centers first before making the leap in today's market!

& you better learn those DOK terms, expect to be micromanaged during probation and sometimes after making book, growing a thick skin, learning that contract/regional supplements and when to file grievances.

Did I miss anything else?

bacha29

Yeah, butt it's now going to be a harder goal to become a UPS RPCD ...

with the lower bar of incoming 22.4 drivers that their union allowed, you'll be in a lower income bracket for some time. @Whither , u a regular driver or a 22.4?

I hated warehouse work since you're confined in a building. & with a 22.4, it's now a mixed bag.

Sure, it still beats FXE or FXG compensation, butt one better get Intel of their local UPS hubs/centers first before making the leap in today's market!

& you better learn those DOK terms, expect to be micromanaged during probation and sometimes after making book, growing a thick skin, learning that contract/regional supplements and when to file grievances.

Did I miss anything else?
I don't think there will be many ground grunts unwilling to take their chances with UPS if the opportunity came along and they had made had the necessary preparations ahead of time . I mean, what do they have to look forward to where they are currently?
Where they're at right now the reality couldn't be more obvious. After their bodies are demolished making some greedy contractor rich and unable to take the physical beating anymore, unskilled and physically damaged they're simply tossed back out into the economy to fend for themselves .

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
They haven't just been able to control their shipping costs. They are now a logistics company as well. Not a wrinkle, Van. That's why FedEx made this desperation move.

LOL, you see a company shipping its own products from its own warehouses and you see it as a game changer to the entire logistics industry.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Spot on. Express isn't going to pass that volume off to ground at cost. They're going to want a margin for it. When Ground gets it they'll want a margin from it before they pass it off to the contractors. The contractors in turn will want a margin off it before they assign it to their employees for final delivery. So by that time you're down to zero benefits and fast food wages which in some if not many cases will be state minimum. How much are you going to get for that kind of money.

In regard to the prospect of Express having to take back a lot of the volume they would otherwise pass to Ground.... I believe that they will due to a considerable extent by the inability of Ground contractors to find people willing to work for next to nothing. The work is simply too labor intensive, working conditions too poor, qualifications too high and pay too damn low to acquire clean and sober people with a work ethic in sufficient quantities . The disparity between the value demanded and the value offered will simply be too great. It simply cannot help but to have a negative impact on expectations.

How many different ways can you find to make the same post?

bacha29

How many different ways can you find to make the same post?
You're the kind of person who will never get the point no matter how many posts on the subject I make. Too many trips to the Fedex Mind Control And Reeducation Academy will do that to you. You're just like the Borg,you're sent there to learn to assimilate. Orwellian dystopia in the truest sense of the word.