FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
The expected first stop time is always, always stupid as hell. Same usually goes for time between most stops in the air run. Most drivers at my center don't actually look at that.
Problem is sups don't understand ORION and don't know how to manipulate. Not difficult to manipulate it, they just hide it..

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
This is why people were disagreeing with me. I said nothing about ORION being used to save or measure time. Even if local management may try to point to the ORION screens to pressure drivers.

I was specifically talking about ORION's programming. The 1's and 0's. The algorithm uses all the time inputs that were placed into it by the ORION team, management, and existing time studies. That all has to play into the solution. It's not as easy as what is the least amount of land we can cover with a certain set of stops. If that was the case, ORION might have you do 75 resi's before your first business. Or your 10:30 commit might be your last stop.

Obviously I know ORION was designed for mileage savings. But it has to accomplish this within the parameters of the time inputs that are put into it. Hopefully this clears up my point.

Just curious. It seems to me as though you were involved in the design and implementation of ORION, or are you just blowing smoke?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

IMO, Orion was designed to strip away the miles that were built into the existing time allowances. This makes each route look like it needs more work in order to plan. The whole idea around Orion was to add more work to each route and to eliminate routes. The fuel savings was just a bonus.

The whole idea around Orion was to replace us.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
To back up JL 0513, ORION is actually a space/time algorithmic solution based only the factors that are input into the equation. Obviously huge flaws because not all factors can be accounted for and input into the system. So it actually is a time based system. If you look closely on the software it will tell you what time you're supposed to be at each stop. Of course it's nonsense to assume you will be there at that time on any given day.
Look close? It's on the main screen..

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
IMO, Orion was designed to strip away the miles that were built into the existing time allowances. This makes each route look like it needs more work in order to plan. The whole idea around Orion was to add more work to each route and to eliminate routes. The fuel savings was just a bonus.
ORION and your actual allowance are two different things.

JL 0513

Just curious. It seems to me as though you were involved in the design and implementation of ORION, or are you just blowing smoke?

I'm just stating the obvious.

Anyone who doesn't know existing time studies, commit times, P/U times, known business hours, etc. is part of ORION'S design isn't a UPS driver. It's laughable that people are disagreeing with these facts.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I'm just stating the obvious.

Anyone who doesn't know existing time studies, commit times, P/U times, known business hours, etc. is part of ORION'S design isn't a UPS driver. It's laughable that people are disagreeing with these facts.
Your "facts" are only true if ORION is set up right. And it isn't in a lot of places because the company does an absolutely terrible job of training on it.

Brown Biscuit

Blind every day
My center has to coordinate air meets every night for drivers. The earlier you reply that you will return, the more they reward you with air meets or going to grab stops off someone else...but never any harassment about being out too long. I reply 22:30 every day. Every once in a while they ask me to update it so a customer can get a better idea about their sdwc haha.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I don’t understand what the issue is, just give an ETA, and that’s it.
I think the issue was that they kept asking. It gets really annoying having your rythm disrupted over and over. My ETA is "sooner if you'd stop asking". I also like when they ask if you're going to get your 1030 commits delivered on time. "I would have, but you made me respond to your question".