Po0pmenot

I'm at intergrad now. tried ironing my uniform the best I can but I suck at ironing. Always new wrinkles somewhere on the shirt. Hopefully they aren't perfectionists about that!

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I'm at intergrad now. tried ironing my uniform the best I can but I suck at ironing. Always new wrinkles somewhere on the shirt. Hopefully they aren't perfectionists about that!

Starch is your friend. Make your creases so crisp your trainer may just cream his pants. If you can't polish your shoes very well, get some patent leather.

E

el blanco

i'm surprised that artificial rayon polyester fiberglass :censored2: doesn't melt as soon as you get near it with an iron

Algernon

8 months ago I started as a part timer for the sole purpose of becoming a driver. The job beat the hell out of me, the hours made me lose money considering I couldn't do OT at my other job anymore, and it could have been years before I got a shot at driving.

The past peak I got a chance to do seasonal driving. 12 hour days in below zero, often blizzard-like weather, minimal training (DIAD was not fully covered in class, and I was supposedly going to have a sup with me sometimes, never happened past the first day), 80% of my helpers were brand new throughout the entire season and also physically weak, my route was modified multiple times without warning, every truck I got was the bottom of the barrel with loose mirrors, bad doors, etc., and I could literally go on and on.

However, despite all the bs thrown my way, at no point did I think "this isn't worth it". The job would be an absolute dream without the constant complications and runaround by management but if wasn't for all that the pay wouldn't be so great and I'd be waiting years to get hired. I'm more certain than ever that this is going to be my career and am desperately trying to make sure it happens.

They never asked for the uniform back but mid-January I signed a bid sheet for full time and got a call a couple weeks later, now I'm going to integrad in a week and a half. I'm a little worried about actually passing the probation period though, because I really wasn't the greatest even among the seasonals. What are some things I should be doing to look like I belong there?

NightHawk618

8 months ago I started as a part timer for the sole purpose of becoming a driver. The job beat the hell out of me, the hours made me lose money considering I couldn't do OT at my other job anymore, and it could have been years before I got a shot at driving.

The past peak I got a chance to do seasonal driving. 12 hour days in below zero, often blizzard-like weather, minimal training (DIAD was not fully covered in class, and I was supposedly going to have a sup with me sometimes, never happened past the first day), 80% of my helpers were brand new throughout the entire season and also physically weak, my route was modified multiple times without warning, every truck I got was the bottom of the barrel with loose mirrors, bad doors, etc., and I could literally go on and on.

However, despite all the bs thrown my way, at no point did I think "this isn't worth it". The job would be an absolute dream without the constant complications and runaround by management but if wasn't for all that the pay wouldn't be so great and I'd be waiting years to get hired. I'm more certain than ever that this is going to be my career and am desperately trying to make sure it happens.

They never asked for the uniform back but mid-January I signed a bid sheet for full time and got a call a couple weeks later, now I'm going to integrad in a week and a half. I'm a little worried about actually passing the probation period though, because I really wasn't the greatest even among the seasonals. What are some things I should be doing to look like I belong there?

If you can, show up early, go through your truck.... organize it if it needs to be(probably will).
Study maps if you're not familiar with where you are going.

You will gain/lose the most time in the back of the truck. This will make or break your day.

Spend a few minutes a couple times a day to keep the bulk area organized. You will save time doing this.

Always know where your next 5 stops are.
What shelf?
Floor?
Rear Door?

Also.. know where those next five stops are. Where the delivery location is, etc.

Remember last names in businesses. CIR should pretty much take care of that for you (hopefully)

If you're a quick learner and can keep the bulk area of the package car organized (best you can) , you stand a shot to pass the probation period on little experience.

Yes, you will have to move fast as you can (on foot) and think as clearly and quickly as you possibly can. Week 1 may suck, but each day you will gain knowledge you didn't have the day before.

Week 2, Hopefully you will be running under this week. If not, keep your head up, you will probably be making steady gains.

IF everything goes smooth....

Week 3 you will have all your days "under" finished.

Week 4 SAFETY! SAFETY! SAFETY!

Overall, be sure to make all of your NDA and NDA-saver commitments.

1500s only matter for commercial stops. Resis with a 1500 are due at 23:59.

If a 1500 (residence) is at the top of your board and you don't want it to be. Hit the Res/Com button to have it go back to its place it should be.

If you feel like you're a good navigator, then that's a good start. But I would highly recommend looking at every single street sign you pass, until you know it without looking. Do this in every town you go to, or in every area of town you're in. Eventually, you will deliver to that street and you will know it.

Next, get the numbers of addresses down. What side is the low end, what side is the high end? Remember houses, where is their address actually located. Garage? Door? Mailbox? Sign in yard?

Bring a flashlight if you will be out at dark.

Number one, is be safe. Don't put yourself of anyone else in harms way, ever.

Fastkid

I just got back from Intergrad. It was easy for me. I guess it depends on which one you go too. There strict on uniforms. Just don't be late and pay attention. It's not that hard they just are hard on you to make sure you want to be a driver and you can handle the stress of the job. I

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I just got back from Intergrad. It was easy for me. I guess it depends on which one you go too. There strict on uniforms. Just don't be late and pay attention. It's not that hard they just are hard on you to make sure you want to be a driver and you can handle the stress of the job. I

You mean to see if you can handle being treated as less than human.

Nice footwear. It is like a very short version of basic training. It's only 5 days so after you finish it you will be like "that's it". Everday starts with a military type uniform and hygiene inspection. You will still be asked to raise your pant leg so why not just spring for some UPS socks to show your commitment. My group won best appearance because we had our uniforms dry cleaned and the instructors knew it. Participation is a must, 5 and dime is a must. Pre trip is actually timed out and you have to say aloud what your looking at. Trucks in McKinney were all automatics. UP and OVER a curb will disqualify you immediately. Disrespect to classmates or instructors was a big no no. Alcohol was prohibited. Smoking was minimal, getting up early was the norm and staying up late was necessary. Good luck.

PalletDockShifter

Hello,

Heading to Intergrad for drivers school. I've been with UPS as a package handler for 2 years but I'm only the second person in my building to be sent to Intergrad. I've read some posts on here about it but most seem to be several years old so I figured I'd start a new one.

I know it's a pretty intense course, my boss called it UPS Boot Camp. I've already been through real basic training so I'm not so concerned about the course intensity but more worried about getting booted for something stupid and preventable.

I'm heading to West Boylston, MA for school. Does anyone know if you use a manual transmission in the trucks there? I know the basics for driving stick but it's been 5 years since I've learned it and none of the trucks in my center have sticks so my bosses told me not to worry about it when I told them. I understand the process to operate a manual trans but I'm definitely rusty on it; I know I'm gonna grind the gears.

Footwear, most of the drivers in my center wear those cheap New Balance all black leather walking shoes that most fast food workers wear. I bought a pair but now I'm wondering if this an acceptable option for Intergrad? I'm sure I could polish them but they're definitely sneakers and not boots.

As for the uniform it needs to be clean and presentable with creases along the front of the pant legs and along the sleeve correct? I didn't get any shorts so I don't need to worry about wearing the UPS socks right? I know I need solid white or brown undershirts.

Any other tips or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks
HF

Idk if you are already went but i just failed in Atlanta and I was the best driver there. They even failed some seasonal drivers. The best thing you can do is not piss them off. Kiss ass like never before because they will fail you if you get on their nerves. Even if you arent intentionally having attitude try not to be annoying. They failed me because they didnt like me. They said i failed the driving test but i called delta airlines and found out they scheduled my flight before my driving test. They were looking for a reason. Good luck.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
... They even failed some seasonal drivers. The best thing you can do is not piss them off. Kiss ass like never before because they will fail you if you get on their nerves. Even if you arent intentionally having attitude try not to be annoying. They failed me because they didnt like me. ...They were looking for a reason. Good luck.
Good advice.
Too bad no one gave it to you before you went.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Holy crap, I just read the first 3 pages of this thread and it makes me nervous from the comfort of my home.
Don’t worry about it !!
You give a monkey enough bananas , they could drive a package car !! It’s mentally and physically a hard job , you put your mind to it and you can do it !!