Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
upload_2018-10-21_13-28-17-png.218661

IESucks

Hello,

Heading to Intergrad for drivers school. I've been with UPS as a package handler for 2 years but I'm only the second person in my building to be sent to Intergrad. I've read some posts on here about it but most seem to be several years old so I figured I'd start a new one.

I know it's a pretty intense course, my boss called it UPS Boot Camp. I've already been through real basic training so I'm not so concerned about the course intensity but more worried about getting booted for something stupid and preventable.

I'm heading to West Boylston, MA for school. Does anyone know if you use a manual transmission in the trucks there? I know the basics for driving stick but it's been 5 years since I've learned it and none of the trucks in my center have sticks so my bosses told me not to worry about it when I told them. I understand the process to operate a manual trans but I'm definitely rusty on it; I know I'm gonna grind the gears.

Footwear, most of the drivers in my center wear those cheap New Balance all black leather walking shoes that most fast food workers wear. I bought a pair but now I'm wondering if this an acceptable option for Intergrad? I'm sure I could polish them but they're definitely sneakers and not boots.

As for the uniform it needs to be clean and presentable with creases along the front of the pant legs and along the sleeve correct? I didn't get any shorts so I don't need to worry about wearing the UPS socks right? I know I need solid white or brown undershirts.

Any other tips or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks
HF
Tip? Go to college

moldsporh

Note to newbies.....don't try to crush the routes during your 30-day. Hone your methods, make the telematics report look good. Take most of your lunch, but save the sprint and skip your lunch for the last 3 or 4 days so when you scratch and go past 30-days, you are in.

Then go back to taking your 1hr meal.. :)

Stay off your phone, social media will tank your numbers. 1 min per stop is about 2 hours added to your day...or more.

KhalDan

I'm curious if there is anyone that will view this thread before Tuesday morning that has been to a Intergrad prep-class in the DFW area?
If so, I REALLY would like to know if the 5's and 10's are the only thing that they're going to make me recite. I've talked to a couple drivers who told me that would be all, and even the prep class agenda paper I was given only says 5's and 10's, but my HR lady told me the entire packet.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I'm curious if there is anyone that will view this thread before Tuesday morning that has been to a Intergrad prep-class in the DFW area?
If so, I REALLY would like to know if the 5's and 10's are the only thing that they're going to make me recite. I've talked to a couple drivers who told me that would be all, and even the prep class agenda paper I was given only says 5's and 10's, but my HR lady told me the entire packet.

Better start memorizing

5Cube4Life

Yes, 5 and 10. Also memorize pretrip. You will have to do that in front of instructor, with vehicle present. It is timed as well.

5Cube4Life

The pretrip has to be preformed in the prep class? The agenda I was given only shows pre trip explanation and pre trip practice.
Sorry no, missed the "prep". My prep class was 5, 10, and some computer training. I think the computer stuff was an online course with an exam after it, multiple choice, I believe.

SolidWoodPanel

Probably the Greatest American Alive
You should quit. Find another job and move if you have to. Working seven hours now, making close to $50k, getting a $12k bump after one year. UPS owes me thousands in backpay. Millions to its supposed 200,000+ personnel. While that cash collects interest, we get nothing. Just as corrupt and greedy as many of the corporations. Modern day plantations.

El Correcto

god is dead
You should quit. Find another job and move if you have to. Working seven hours now, making close to $50k, getting a $12k bump after one year. UPS owes me thousands in backpay. Millions to its supposed 200,000+ personnel. While that cash collects interest, we get nothing. Just as corrupt and greedy as many of the corporations. Modern day plantations.
@rickyb