Are Unions ethical?

• Total voters

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Imagine if he does run someone over after his drunkedness has been reported.
Highly agree

I've seen drunken drivers on team eggplant... U call out sick, not show up to drive on route when you smell like booze

The smart subcontractors will terminate immediately and some will try to get those drivers some help.

Package Stick

"Send it."
There is no way management would allow a person like this to continue working if half of the OPs story is true. I have heard of several Union members in my building walked out for being under the influence. Too much of a safety liability for themselves and the employees around them.
The only ones not walked out are the potheads, they're harmless and work harder than me. Smoke a fat one before work, no problem. Drink a fat one, problem.

The night sort sups smoke together, I'm not exaggerating when I say half of our night sort is high.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
This... that guy needs a wake-up call from the police department.

Find your local police department#, not 911. Give the year, make, model of the vehicle & let them come in before the shift or after to grab him before he gets behind the wheel
1 800 grab dui connects you to the local police department and it is anonymous

Proud To Be A Scab

Commie Unionists are Traitors
you call the cops and he is drunk he most likely loses the job anyways

The union members that are pissed off at the situation have expressed that they regret not calling a deputy earlier.

My bet is that at least one of them will be calling the Sheriff's office monday morning if not tomorrow. I'm interested in seeing how this guy, and hopefully the steward, go down in flames.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
The union members that are pissed off at the situation have expressed that they regret not calling a deputy earlier.

My bet is that at least one of them will be calling the Sheriff's office monday morning if not tomorrow. I'm interested in seeing how this guy, and hopefully the steward, go down in flames.

Does that mean you will stop whining about the guy?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
There is no way management would allow a person like this to continue working if half of the OPs story is true. I have heard of several Union members in my building walked out for being under the influence. Too much of a safety liability for themselves and the employees around them.
yup. that's why the OP is full of it...

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
This story is so obviously bull squat. There is no situation in which the possibility of a grievance would ever stop management from doing whatever the hell they want. Work on making up a slightly more believable fantasy. Your poor attempt to besmirch unions and the stewards is sad.

Stewards are charged with the duty of enforcing the contract, which the company signed. They have no power to stop the company from putting a stop to the situation you described. If this delusion of yours was real in the slightest, all the blame for not addressing the situation would lie on the shoulders of management. Period.

One of the tenets of capitalism is keeping the fruits of your labor. Most people think that applies to company owners, but when workers negotiate to keep as much of the fruits of their labor as possible, that's communism? Corporations profiting unduly from our labor is far more akin to communism than unions are. Are sports stars and celebrities communists for hiring agents to negotiate on their behalf? Nope. Go away troll, come back when you have better made up stories.

Proud To Be A Scab

Commie Unionists are Traitors
This story is so obviously bull squat. There is no situation in which the possibility of a grievance would ever stop management from doing whatever the hell they want. Work on making up a slightly more believable fantasy. Your poor attempt to besmirch unions and the stewards is sad.

Stewards are charged with the duty of enforcing the contract, which the company signed. They have no power to stop the company from putting a stop to the situation you described. If this delusion of yours was real in the slightest, all the blame for not addressing the situation would lie on the shoulders of management. Period.

One of the tenets of capitalism is keeping the fruits of your labor. Most people think that applies to company owners, but when workers negotiate to keep as much of the fruits of their labor as possible, that's communism? Corporations profiting unduly from our labor is far more akin to communism than unions are. Are sports stars and celebrities communists for hiring agents to negotiate on their behalf? Nope. Go away troll, come back when you have better made up stories.

Management has been notified several times in the past 5 months about the drunk.

The union steward has threatened filing grievances if management fires the drunk. Mind you, the steward purposely intimidates the management almost daily. Just yesterday he screamed across the building at a supervisor for simply asking a friend of his a question about football. "Hey, leave the preloaders alone!"

Because the steward refuses to do the right thing, which is agree to management canning the belligerent drunk, is why the other union members have been attempting to get the steward removed from his position. I assume it's by talking to higher-up in their little gang of theirs? Even the drivers want the drunk, and the steward shown the door never to return.

The UPS union members where I work, most of them are rowdy neanderthals looking for a fight. Some of which actively carry firearms while on their routes. I'm not against the right to one defending themselves even if it does go against "company policy". Those that do carry, however, have admitted that they will never tell another union member that they do out of fear of being snitched on.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Management has been notified several times in the past 5 months about the drunk.

The union steward has threatened filing grievances if management fires the drunk. Mind you, the steward purposely intimidates the management almost daily. Just yesterday he screamed across the building at a supervisor for simply asking a friend of his a question about football. "Hey, leave the preloaders alone!"

Because the steward refuses to do the right thing, which is agree to management canning the belligerent drunk, is why the other union members have been attempting to get the steward removed from his position. I assume it's by talking to higher-up in their little gang of theirs? Even the drivers want the drunk, and the steward shown the door never to return.

The UPS union members where I work, most of them are rowdy neanderthals looking for a fight. Some of which actively carry firearms while on their routes. I'm not against the right to one defending themselves even if it does go against "company policy". Those that do carry, however, have admitted that they will never tell another union member that they do out of fear of being snitched on.

Oh no! Poor management being bullied by a steward. They clearly know less about how things work than you do. Oh, right, they know exactly as little as you do, because they only exist in your land of make believe.

The way you tell it this steward is running the center. If he has management shaking in their boots so hard that they refuse to do what needs to be done in this situation, he is literally the biggest badass that has ever walked the face of the earth, and is deserving of nothing less than our deepest respect and admiration. If he commands that sort of respect from management when representing an on the job drunk, then you should prostrate yourself, and thank the ever loving gods that he is on your side. Especially when you get caught with a gun on you.

Let me fill you in on a few things, grievances pose zero threat to managers. In most cases they actually help their careers. If management is using the threat of a grievance as an excuse to not deal with an on the job drunk, they are hiding something or just really bad at their jobs.

Stewards can only be belligerent with management while enforcing the contract/representing a union member. Outside of that, they risk being disciplined for insubordination. If this steward is doing the things you talk about, management would not stand for it.

In the extremely unlikely event that this story has any credibility to it, then it must be true that management does not want to deal with the drunk. They are using the steward as an excuse to not do their jobs. It is them you should be upset with. Your poll should be:

Are all managers a bunch of lazy, incompetent, jack wagons?

1) Yes.

2) Absolutely.

3) How is this even a question?

Nah

It just depends on the building and staffing needs I guess. One of the boxlines in my old building had a guy who was drinking shooters on the job and throwing the empties on the slide. Took a good while for him to get canned.