Are Unions ethical?

• Total voters

Nah
The only ones not walked out are the potheads, they're harmless and work harder than me. Smoke a fat one before work, no problem. Drink a fat one, problem.

The night sort sups smoke together, I'm not exaggerating when I say half of our night sort is high.

I have also seen this. I definitely feel like my safety is in greater jeopardy when I'm working around drunks than potheads, but they're harder on the people with the weed because of an antiquated stigma.

No matter. Since I'm not a scab, I can invoke Article 18 of the NMA and refuse to work near the drunks. I guess there are benefits to being in a "gang."

Last edited:
So...there's a drunk on the preload.

Wreaks of alcohol.
Carries a flask.
Has a hard time seeing package labels.
Nearly runs over employees in the parking lot while coming into work.
Boasts about his alcoholism.
Admits to being under the influence of alcohol and cannabis while on the clock. etc.

Management wants him gone, however the union steward is threatening reprisal via grievance against management's actions if they fire the belligerant drunk.

I've already let HR know and they became defensive the moment I mentioned the steward defending the drunk. The HR rep implied I was a conspiracy theorist (I go from calm to enraged like a 3000hp dragster when called that) for even mentioning that the steward is defending the drunk from being fired.

What gives? The drunk at work poses a danger to the workers. He's been arguing with several preloaders. Not one preloader has anything good to say about him. The preload general consensus is they want him gone. Management wants him gone.

The only reason why he's allowed to continue working while drunk is because he's a gang member (union member) and the steward has been very intimidating via raising his voice and threatening grievances if management does their job of employment termination like they're supposed to.

Liar

Proud To Be A Scab

Commie Unionists are Traitors
Oh no! Poor management being bullied by a steward. They clearly know less about how things work than you do. Oh, right, they know exactly as little as you do, because they only exist in your land of make believe.

The way you tell it this steward is running the center. If he has management shaking in their boots so hard that they refuse to do what needs to be done in this situation, he is literally the biggest badass that has ever walked the face of the earth, and is deserving of nothing less than our deepest respect and admiration. If he commands that sort of respect from management when representing an on the job drunk, then you should prostrate yourself, and thank the ever loving gods that he is on your side. Especially when you get caught with a gun on you.

Let me fill you in on a few things, grievances pose zero threat to managers. In most cases they actually help their careers. If management is using the threat of a grievance as an excuse to not deal with an on the job drunk, they are hiding something or just really bad at their jobs.

Stewards can only be belligerent with management while enforcing the contract/representing a union member. Outside of that, they risk being disciplined for insubordination. If this steward is doing the things you talk about, management would not stand for it.

In the extremely unlikely event that this story has any credibility to it, then it must be true that management does not want to deal with the drunk. They are using the steward as an excuse to not do their jobs. It is them you should be upset with. Your poll should be:

Are all managers a bunch of lazy, incompetent, jack wagons?

1) Yes.

2) Absolutely.

3) How is this even a question?

The moment I mentioned all of this to the head HR rep of the state, he immediately defended the steward and implied I'm crazy. Regardless that others have also called in and complained of the very same situation. The others that have also made complaints and, happen to be union members, also tell me that the HR rep seems intimidated or hesitant to do anything about the belligerent drunk or the steward.

Clearly you've no idea what dangers the union poses in the workplace with their history of intimidation tactics and violence either.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
1 800 grab dui connects you to the local police department and it is anonymous
Just do this on Monday... wait, it's only for Ohio?

911 it is then or find that local police department#

I can't believe that Stewart didn't take any action after your fellow team members are reporting him for the past few months already

Last edited:

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
So...there's a drunk on the preload.

Wreaks of alcohol.
Carries a flask.
Has a hard time seeing package labels.
Nearly runs over employees in the parking lot while coming into work.
Boasts about his alcoholism.
Admits to being under the influence of alcohol and cannabis while on the clock. etc.

Management wants him gone, however the union steward is threatening reprisal via grievance against management's actions if they fire the belligerant drunk.

I've already let HR know and they became defensive the moment I mentioned the steward defending the drunk. The HR rep implied I was a conspiracy theorist (I go from calm to enraged like a 3000hp dragster when called that) for even mentioning that the steward is defending the drunk from being fired.

What gives? The drunk at work poses a danger to the workers. He's been arguing with several preloaders. Not one preloader has anything good to say about him. The preload general consensus is they want him gone. Management wants him gone.

The only reason why he's allowed to continue working while drunk is because he's a gang member (union member) and the steward has been very intimidating via raising his voice and threatening grievances if management does their job of employment termination like they're supposed to.

I would rather work with the drunk than a scab. Punch in, do you your job and go home and stop worrying about :censored2: that is not your job, such as who is drunk.

If you are unable to do that and hate the union so much you are free to leave, there are union free options such as fedex and amazon.

cachmeifucan

I got a feeling ethnicity may have a roll in this equation. What ethnicity is the drunk. Then ask yourself what is the racial makeup of the building you work. The union thug is doing a good job. Hopefully he fights that hard for everyone. The op sounds like a supervisor who cares but doesn't realize nobody else cares if he a little tipsy. In cach a suburb of Chicago many employees come in drunk and high management and hourly. Every week you see empty beer cans and cigar wrappings in the parking lot. I think you should just drop it before they all turn on you. How long have you worked at ups

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
The moment I mentioned all of this to the head HR rep of the state, he immediately defended the steward and implied I'm crazy. Regardless that others have also called in and complained of the very same situation. The others that have also made complaints and, happen to be union members, also tell me that the HR rep seems intimidated or hesitant to do anything about the belligerent drunk or the steward.

Clearly you've no idea what dangers the union poses in the workplace with their history of intimidation tactics and violence either.

Judging by your choice of username and avatar on here, I am sure you came off as totally reasonable. Lol probably put in your file that your a extreme right wing nut bag conspiracy theorist that’s a possible active shooter threat. Soon your management buddies will be walking you out the gate

Whither

Scofflaw
One of the tenets of capitalism is keeping the fruits of your labor.

I respectfully beg to differ. In theory you exchange the actual fruits of your labor for a wage, but given how rampant wage theft is, and how commonly one's hard work earns one very little, it seems more accurate to note the similarities between capitalist and so-called communist societies -- in both cases the lion's share of the wealth (the fruits of production) is commandeered by the few, with ample help from the government ...

OrioN

Red, the OP changed the user name as the discussion went on...

Don't be a scab in a union shop!

But if one's safety and other union members are also affected by this one Bad Apple, go report him outside of the failed union/management process

Another BC member had similar experience, he wasn't a rat, but it eventually resolved itself. Just read a few posts above on this thread...

Yet another BC member had a drunken package delivery driver in his center as well...

scooby said:
He was terminated a while ago for driving drunk on duty. He works at Target now.

Fired!!!!

Proud To Be A Scab

I would rather work with the drunk than a scab. Punch in, do you your job and go home and stop worrying about :censored2: that is not your job, such as who is drunk.

If you are unable to do that and hate the union so much you are free to leave, there are union free options such as fedex and amazon.

Because I have more pride in my job than the commies...

Better dead than Red!

Proud To Be A Scab

I got a feeling ethnicity may have a roll in this equation. What ethnicity is the drunk. Then ask yourself what is the racial makeup of the building you work. The union thug is doing a good job. Hopefully he fights that hard for everyone. The op sounds like a supervisor who cares but doesn't realize nobody else cares if he a little tipsy. In cach a suburb of Chicago many employees come in drunk and high management and hourly. Every week you see empty beer cans and cigar wrappings in the parking lot. I think you should just drop it before they all turn on you. How long have you worked at ups

Others have asked this question in the past.

Surprisingly, the belligerent drunk happens to be white. The racial makeup of my hub is 95%+ white as well.

I'm not a supervisor, however I've been asked to be but won't because of the social and management dynamic of this hub.

Proud To Be A Scab

Judging by your choice of username and avatar on here, I am sure you came off as totally reasonable. Lol probably put in your file that your a extreme right wing nut bag conspiracy theorist that’s a possible active shooter threat. Soon your management buddies will be walking you out the gate

Actually, what you described is what management thinks about both the steward and the drunk.

OrioN

Ok OP, u got an idea that every center in the nation is different. I'm sorry u have weak leadership in yours....

Come Monday, if that dooshbag drunken worker smells like a liquor store, u know what to do.

PS, u better not be a friggin troll

Last edited:

Kidlogic

The union members that are pissed off at the situation have expressed that they regret not calling a deputy earlier.

My bet is that at least one of them will be calling the Sheriff's office monday morning if not tomorrow. I'm interested in seeing how this guy, and hopefully the steward, go down in flame
Others have asked this question in the past.

Surprisingly, the belligerent drunk happens to be white. The racial makeup of my hub is 95%+ white as well.

I'm not a supervisor, however I've been asked to be but won't because of the social and management dynamic of this hub.
What do you mean "Surprisingly, the belligerent drunk happens to be white" ? I think that white hood your wearing has shut off the oxygen to your brain.

OrioN

Race got nothing to do with this... it's a safety situation!

suds said:
Article 18 of the NMA

I gotta look this up, that's a good point for suds to use against drunken co workers

Proud To Be A Scab

Ok OP, u got an idea that every center in the nation is different. I'm sorry u have weak leadership in yours....

Come Monday, if that dooshbag drunken worker smells like a liquor store, u know what to do.

PS, u better not be a friggin troll

Nope not a troll at all. Just a concerned employee who's absolutely tired of seeing my hub's fellow employees, union and scabs alike, have to work like this.

Both the steward and the drunk need to be shown the door