The Airport Identifier Game

fedx

Extra Large Package
Many of you already know this, so please bear with me as I explain to those who might not be aware. The "game" is that FedEx does everything possible to give the appearance of being an "airline", when it is, in fact, NOT an airline. FedEx is a systems integrator, with an aircraft component, just like UPS. The entire purpose of this charade is to preserve the RLA, the anti-union Kryptonite that basically makes unionization impossible at Express. Keeping you underpaid with lousy benefits saves FedEx hundreds of millions of dollars a year. Pilots and executives are lavishly compensated, and you get the :censored2: sandwich of forever top-out times, high insurance deductibles, and overall lousy treatment. Be aware that a topped-out UPS package car or feeder driver is at around $40 per hour, with excellent benefits and an actual PENSION. A career UPS driver is looking at about $5-6K per month in retirement pay. Don't believe me? Ask a UPS Teamster.

Here's how it goes. Airlines have stations, like LAX is a station for United Airlines or PHX is a station for Southwest. The vast majority of FedEx "stations" are simply terminals, or like UPS, "centers". But FedEx always gives a location a station identifier so they can make believe workers are employees of an airline, preserving the RLA. Many moons ago, when I first started at Express, my station was 40 miles from the airport where we actually got our freight via CTV. They used the airport identifier for an airport 15 miles away, which was a general aviation field with zero cargo. Later I transferred and the "station" used the airport identifier for a seaplane base 10 miles away, again with no cargo component whatsoever.

This is nothing new. Since it's inception, the old Federal Express had this all planned out. Early on, many "stations" actually saw an aircraft, but those days are long gone. The vast majority of FedEx employees never see an aircraft except in pictures or videos. They get their freight by TRUCK, and are simply a terminal, center, or sort facility. Aircraft might line haul part of their freight, but all of it arrives via truck, and a lot of it never sees an airplane. This is particularly true for the East Coast, where shorter distances allow a huge trucking component.

Towards the end of my sentence at Express, my "station" used the identifier of a long defunct general aviation airport, which was now a huge housing subdivision. Such a joke, but the game continues, and given the fact that Ground and Express are now a hybrid operation, the joke is getting really old. Management goes to great lengths to keep up the act, but doing little things like making the logo standardized and deleting the "Express"or "Ground" sub-lettering on vehicles tips their hand. It's one big integrated operation, and to pretend otherwise is not only dishonest, but illegal in terms of labor law purposes.

This is the main reason you have crappy airline benefits that are almost always worthless. To the best of my knowledge, real airlines still get a huge discount when they move freight via Express. In return, you get a discounted fare based on the highest possible rate, and do not have the "show ID and go" option that real airline employees have. The real payoff is for Memphis, because Raj can point to your crummy interline deal and say " See, we are an airline". All calculated to ensure it really isn't much of a benefit and that only a handful of employees will actually use interline.

It's time to call BS on FedEx and get unionized. New Teamster leadership is aggressive and interested in gaining membership, a quantum leap from the pathetic Hoffa era. Take advantage of having a Democratic majority and President and make a move now. Don't wait until the RTW anti-union GOP gets back in the driver's seat.

You are being played for suckers. Stop being dumb and playing Fred's almost 50 year-old game.

Part of the problem I've seen on the FB FedEx page whenever a union is mentioned is the response "I'm not paying union dues". These people are too dumb to realized that you'd be making almost double what you're making now and you might pay $75 a month in union dues. You'd still be way ahead of the game. The Teamsters should have tried organizing FedEx last year when we went 2 years in a row with a 2% raise. That would have been the time to act. Of course if they would have tried to organize, FedEx would have immediately had a "revised" forecast and suddenly they would have given everyone a nice raise and then some. All to keep out the union. But until a union tries to organize FedEx, expect the same tiny raises (or none at all) to be the norm. Currently there is no threat of a union organizing, so there's no need to pay or treat employees decently. Until they get rid of the RLA protection, nothing will change.

fatboy33

Pretty clear difference between the two parties these days.
You're dilutional if you believe the Democrats aren't putting corporations and billionaires first. Biden is doing everything he possibly can to escalate the situation in Northern Europe. You're taxes are going to Ukraine so they get free military equipment along with kickback money into the pockets of the puppet government the US installed. At the same time, ending Russia from selling oil and gas to Europe so US companies can take that market. That doesn't sound like a Democrat. We've got people living paycheck to paycheck, government crying about not having enough money for S.S. but 2 billion dollars Biden can find for a country most of us have never been to. Biden is no Democrat. He's a republican with a D in front of his name tied to big oil companies. Sure, he'll mention some social issue but that's only to keep America evenly divided. You've got a 1980's Republican in the white house. Corporations.....enjoy.

vantexan

You're dilutional if you believe the Democrats aren't putting corporations and billionaires first. Biden is doing everything he possibly can to escalate the situation in Northern Europe. You're taxes are going to Ukraine so they get free military equipment along with kickback money into the pockets of the puppet government the US installed. At the same time, ending Russia from selling oil and gas to Europe so US companies can take that market. That doesn't sound like a Democrat. We've got people living paycheck to paycheck, government crying about not having enough money for S.S. but 2 billion dollars Biden can find for a country most of us have never been to. Biden is no Democrat. He's a republican with a D in front of his name tied to big oil companies. Sure, he'll mention some social issue but that's only to keep America evenly divided. You've got a 1980's Republican in the white house. Corporations.....enjoy.
Where did I ever say any of that? I even told Bacha the Democrats are in bed with Wall Street and are letting millions in illegally who'll displace Americans. Hate to tell you this but these Democrats aren't the equivalent of today's Republicans although there certainly are Republicans who are in it for the money.

fedx

Extra Large Package
Lol, funniest post of the day!

Billionaires (Jeff Bezos, Tom Steyer, Warren Buffet, etc) are predominately Democrats. Corporations predominately support Democrats and fund them. Most corporations are on board with political correctness with their "diversity and inclusion" departments. It's now part of their corporate values. In the last election in my city, if you drove through the rich, old money neighborhoods they all had (90%+) Democrat signs in their yards. This false narrative that Republicans are for the rich and corporations may have been true 75 years ago, but it's flipped now. Now middle class and blue color folks have more in common with Republican than they do Democrats. Democrats are now laser focused of race baiting division and pushing trans sexuals.

yadig

Billionaires (Jeff Bezos, Tom Steyer, Warren Buffet, etc) are predominately Democrats. Corporations predominately support Democrats and fund them. Most corporations are on board with political correctness with their "diversity and inclusion" departments. It's now part of their corporate values. In the last election in my city, if you drove through the rich, old money neighborhoods they all had (90%+) Democrat signs in their yards. This false narrative that Republicans are for the rich and corporations may have been true 75 years ago, but it's flipped now. Now middle class and blue color folks have more in common with Republican than they do Democrats. Democrats are now laser focused of race baiting division and pushing trans sexuals.
This is gonna piss bacha off! These facts must cease, there mind is already made up!

fatboy33

Trans, Choice, Bathroom, Competing in female sports, 2A, the border, these issue are there to keep the teeter totter balanced. Keep the public evenly divide and you can push them any way possible and rob them blind. Republicans worship the wealthy and do their bidding. Dems are no different. Pelosi is that person inside the elevator, as you're running to catch it, she pretend to press the hold button, and when the door closes you can hear her say SORRY.. If you're a billionaire or millionaire, congratulations, you're government is working for you. For the rest of you.......suckers lol.

Serf

@vantexan Wasn’t Unionization and RLA abolishment a real thing for express in 2008? When Mr. Hope & Change was going to fix it. Then in the 11th hour somehow it was squashed.

vantexan

@vantexan Wasn’t Unionization and RLA abolishment a real thing for express in 2008? When Mr. Hope & Change was going to fix it. Then in the 11th hour somehow it was squashed.
There was a Michigan congressman, forget his name, who put an attachment on the FAA bill he called "The Express Employees Relief Act." Would have taken us out of the RLA and onto the NLRA. We heard that Fred S contributed something like $32 million to Democratic Congressmen to keep tabling the FAA bill. Kicked the can down the road. The Republicans took over the House in 2011 and removed that attachment before voting on the FAA bill. They also made it more difficult to even have a vote for a union. Pretty much ended any chance of FedEx unionizing. MrFedEx, who was very active here at the time, told us he wasn't able to get through to the Teamsters. They lost interest in us after that but had been trying to organize us before.