brownIEman

Next chick I get pregnant I'm going to use UPS phycology and blame her.

What could you have done to avoid this?

And really, this is a great analogy illustrating why UPS approaches crashes the way they do. If one is doing something demonstrably stupid ( in this case sleeping with you) the consequence should at least party blamed on them.

:raspberry-tounge:

Edit: hawk beat me to it...

brownIEman

I bet that job can be difficult sometimes. The trainer at my driver training also did this. He has some horrible stories.

It absolutely can.
I was fortunate to never be involved in any really serious accidents with significant injuries. I did learn that a few months after I quit a driver in my center turned left in front of a motorcycle instantly killing the man driving and critically injuring his girlfriend riding on back. Glad I missed that one.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Be prepared. Expect the unexpected.

The catch all they can use to charge anyone for anything. They are under pressure to call everything avoidable because they have to justify a decision to call it unavoidable. It doesn't always end up that way but it definitely does happen.

This is a perfect example of how screwed up this corporate mindset is. Expect the unexpected is a figure of speech that, if taken literally, is a self-cancelling impossibility. How can an employee be held responsible for an impossibility? It's extremely unexpected that a meteorite will hit my package car the second I pull it out of the building. By their logic, I guess I should expect it to happen and never leave the building.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
The center management team is tasked with investigating accidents. Often division managers or safety managers/supervisors are brought in if available.
I was an on road supervisor at the time. In the case of the head on my center manager was off and I was covering for him that day. The accident happened about 8pm on a Friday so while I called all those mentioned in the chain of command, it was just me and the cops on scene investigating on that one.

So what specific training do they give someone at UPS to make someone competent to investigate collisions?

brownIEman

This is a perfect example of how screwed up this corporate mindset is. Expect the unexpected is a figure of speech that, if taken literally, is a self-cancelling impossibility. How can an employee be held responsible for an impossibility? It's extremely unexpected that a meteorite will hit my package car the second I pull it out of the building. By their logic, I guess I should expect it to happen and never leave the building.

I actually agree. This one always peeved me. Syntactically it is IMPOSSIBLE to expect the unexpected because the instant you start to expect it, it is by definition no longer unexpected.

What it really means is stay aware of crap going on around you at all times, don't get complacent.

brownIEman

So what specific training do they give someone at UPS to make someone competent to investigate collisions?

Put your letter in and find out!!

Seriously though there are sections of the new driver classes but for management and on the job training with a center manager or safety manager.

scooby0048

Put your letter in and find out!!

Seriously though there are sections of the new driver classes but for management and on the job training with a center manager or safety manager.

I am being serious. I mean really, do they teach you coefficient of friction values, speed equations, acceleration factors, braking efficiency factors, time to deceleration factors when unknown coefficient of frictions values are present?

brownIEman

I bet it involves a lot of videos

If there were they were not terribly remarkable. I don't remember any videos. In the class I was in a district transportation safety manager taught the basic concepts and went over several actual accidents going through each step in the investigation. That stuck in my memory due to the very said case of a driver who had a dump truck cut left right in front of him at highway speeds. Never had a chance.

brownIEman

I am being serious. I mean really, do they teach you coefficient of friction values, speed equations, acceleration factors, braking efficiency factors, time to deceleration factors when unknown coefficient of frictions values are present?

I get it. In your mind management is entirely incompetent to do anything they are tasked with. That is a very common attitude among drivers.

Do you imagine the beat cops that assign fault and write citations in accidents have the training you mention?

scooby0048

I get it. In your mind management is entirely incompetent to do anything they are tasked with. That is a very common attitude among drivers.

Well considering you and I have always had good banter and no animosity, that would be like me saying all of the management think drivers are nothing but knuckle dragging mongoloids who couldn't articulate a complete sentence and who are uneducated sloths delivering boxes because that's the only thing they could do in life. Oh wait, you management do think that.

For anyone else reading this, I asked because I had to undergo 10 weeks of training in collision investigation just to be able to write someone a citation or to assign liability. I had to undergo an additional 240 hours to be considered an expert, AND, have the ability to take away a person's freedom when they did something while operating a motor, vehicle without any questions.

As a supervisor, you can go to some couple of hour class and become an expert and have the ability to take away another person's livelihood and career based on your "investigation" is why I am asking. How's that for a common attitude among this driver?

Last edited: