35years

Gravy route
They tried to charge me with an avoidable that I fought and won...

Parked on a city street 2 inches from the curb, hazards on, parking break on, evert hinges by the book. I was making the delivery. Lady in the parking spot in front of me backs into me when leaving because she did not leave room in front of her to pull out.

That being said I had a clearly avoidable accident which did a thousand dollars of damage to my package car not even written up as avoidable or unavoidable.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They tried to charge me with an avoidable that I fought and won...

Parked on a city street 2 inches from the curb, hazards on, parking break on, evert hinges by the book. I was making the delivery. Lady in the parking spot in front of me backs into me when leaving because she did not leave room in front of her to pull out.

That being said I had a clearly avoidable accident which did a thousand dollars of damage to my package car not even written up as avoidable or unavoidable.

Based solely on what you posted, you did not leave her an out and you should have been charged with an avoidable.

brownIEman

Well considering you and I have always had good banter and no animosity, that would be like me saying all of the management think drivers are nothing but knuckle dragging mongoloids who couldn't articulate a complete sentence and who are uneducated sloths delivering boxes because that's the only thing they could do in life. Oh wait, you management do think that.

For anyone else reading this, I asked because I had to undergo 10 weeks of training in collision investigation just to be able to write someone a citation or to assign liability. I had to undergo an additional 240 hours to be considered an expert, AND, have the ability to take away a person's freedom when they did something while operating a motor, vehicle without any questions.

As a supervisor, you can go to some couple of hour class and become an expert and have the ability to take away another person's livelihood and career based on your "investigation" is why I am asking. How's that for a common attitude among this driver?

You're reading way too much into it.
I said the attitude was common, I never said every driver holds it. Your described attitude about drivers among management is also way too common but far from universal as you seem to think.

I redily admit I had not nearly that level of training. I would argue, however, that I did not need it to determine the guy backing down a 200 yard shared driveway and knocked into power company transformer enclosure was guilty of an avoidable. Or the guy that was making a quick 3 point in a HS parking last and backed broadside into a teenager trying to get around him. Or that the the guy slowing in traffic and was rear ended by a distracted driver and the guy hit head on by another distracted driver while stopped to make a left turn were both involved in unavoidable accidents.

Anything more involved than that such as would lead to immediate termination would not end with me. I would get pictures and statements from witnesses and prepare diagrams of the scene and the ultimate determinations would be made by safety professionals from UPS and Liberty Mutual, some of whom I worked with and did have that level of training and experience.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I actually agree. This one always peeved me. Syntactically it is IMPOSSIBLE to expect the unexpected because the instant you start to expect it, it is by definition no longer unexpected.

What it really means is stay aware of crap going on around you at all times, don't get complacent.

I agree, which is why the reason for the avoidable should be complacency. And I also agree with the fact that drivers are way more likely than not to be blamed, by management, for any accident they may be involved in is a good motivator to stay safe. I don't always like the results of the policy, but I do see the merit in it.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I redily admit I had not nearly that level of training. I would argue, however, that I did not need it to determine the guy backing down a 200 yard shared driveway and knocked into power company transformer enclosure was guilty of an avoidable. Or the guy that was making a quick 3 point in a HS parking last and backed broadside into a teenager trying to get around him. Or that the the guy slowing in traffic and was rear ended by a distracted driver and the guy hit head on by another distracted driver while stopped to make a left turn were both involved in unavoidable accidents.

I can give you a pass on these but don't get too cocky!

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
How does one act out an album cover?
Not sure if you are pretending not to see the other way to read it or not. The first time I saw his name I had to do a double take.

I have to admit, until Dave wrote it out, I was always reading it the other way. I used to think, what kind of freak calls himself @Analbumcover and more importantly, WHAT is an analbumcover and HOW do I not know what it is.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
You're reading way too much into it.
I said the attitude was common, I never said every driver holds it. Your described attitude about drivers among management is also way too common but far from universal as you seem to think.

Anything more involved than that such as would lead to immediate termination would not end with me. I would get pictures and statements from witnesses and prepare diagrams of the scene and the ultimate determinations would be made by safety professionals from UPS and Liberty Mutual, some of whom I worked with and did have that level of training and experience.

What you may or may not know is, @scooby0048 was in law enforcement before he came to UPS. His investigative training was most certainly more intensive and to the point than anything an OCS or higher would have to go through.

I can give you a pass on these but don't get too cocky!

Love it, Scoob.

35years

Gravy route
Based solely on what you posted, you did not leave her an out and you should have been charged with an avoidable.
So quick to blame other drivers.
She had 4 feet of space between my truck and her back bumper. If I had parked farther back my back end would partially block an alley.

Ruling found accident was completely unavoidable.

Why is it you always assume other drivers are in the wrong?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So quick to blame other drivers.
She had 4 feet of space between my trust and her back bumper. If I had parked farther back my back end would partially block an alley.

Ruling found accident was completely unavoidable.

Why is it you always assume drivers are in the wrong?

29 years has shown me that the vast majority are.

Did you think to put a d-note on her drivers side window letting her know that you were parked behind her?

Your coworker was exaggerating. Yes UPS drivers are held to a higher standard than just not causing accidents and must do everything they can to avoid ones other drivers cause. Your coworker also does not understand the difference between at-fault and avoidable.
I investigated a head on crash I'm my center once and determined it was unavoidable.
Many head ons are unavoidable, but still haunt your years later, sitting on your rap sheet.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
:bsbullf:
1 in the hospital after car and UPS truck crash

Hopefully this won't become a trend as the 70 hour rule goes into effect. The driver of the UPS truck was cited for carelessness and causing injury.

So Anal Cover, you are already predicting gloom and doom for those that may work 70 hours in a week. I am sure we said disregard all the training we gave you and drive like you stole it to get everything delivered. Please stop with:bsbullf: and drive like the professional you claim to be.

Did you read the article, the police gave the driver a ticket - 'NOT UPS MANAGEMENT" - the driver did something stupid and caused an accident..not orion, not ORS..THE DRIVER DID! DEAL WITH IT!

trickpony1

Did you think to put a d-note on her drivers side window letting her know that you were parked behind her?

He could have hired an armed guard to let her know also.

Part of being the "age of consent" is using common sense, critical thought, logic and reason in our everyday activities.

If she didn't/couldn't/wouldn't see that big brown object parked behind her car...why is it the PC drivers fault?

:bsbullf:

So Anal Cover, you are already predicting gloom and doom for those that may work 70 hours in a week. I am sure we said disregard all the training we gave you and drive like you stole it to get everything delivered. Please stop with:bsbullf: and drive like the professional you claim to be.

Did you read the article, the police gave the driver a ticket - 'NOT UPS MANAGEMENT" - the driver did something stupid and caused an accident..not orion, not ORS..THE DRIVER DID! DEAL WITH IT!
Trying driving over 60 hours a week and see how focused you stay.

UPS is so full of crap it's sickening