Whargoul

I got into a tier 3 and they told me they found it unavoidable, so it's possible. I was kinda surprised tbh but I'm pretty sure it was because the other driver got cited and was found at fault. Nobody went to the hospital either.

brownIEman

And sets us up for the other party's lawyer to sue the crap out of us !

I used to think that but was told not so much by one of the liberty mutual guys that worked with lawyers defending UPS in crash suits. What really sets UPS for suits is the big shield on the side of the PC and the deep pockets it represents. If the police and insurance investigators find the other party at fault our internal document finding the driver with avoidable will not trump that if it is even brought into court. Any way that's what I was told. He also told me he saw cases where the cops, insurance, and internal investigations found the driver not only not at fault but also unavoidable and UPS still paid. Sometimes the deep pockets trumps everything.

God forbid UPS stick up for their own people in some accidents

Well I can personally attest that God does not forbid this as I have not only personally seen it happen in some accidents, I've done it myself.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
So next time a drunk blows through a red light and slams into me in an intersection that I have cleared by looking LRL and seamed safe to go through, I'll just tell him , hey , my fault , didn't expect the unexpected, we'll cut you a blank ck !!!

brownIEman

So next time a drunk blows through a red light and slams into me in an intersection that I have cleared by looking LRL and seamed safe to go through, I'll just tell him , hey , my fault , didn't expect the unexpected, we'll cut you a blank ck !!!

Wow. That does not follow AT ALL logically speaking, from what I said. Please don't say that to anyone if you're involved in a crash.

Sadly though, a jury might sympathize with that drunks family and force UPS to write that check just because UPS can afford it.

Covemastah

I was hit by a drunk driver in a stolen car being chased by the state police , local police and the campus cops , kid slammed on brakes , did a 360 in street and caught the bumper on my PC !
They wanted to call this avoidable because the rear of the car was near a corner ! I was legally parked ! Took a few months of me fighting them and a letter from the cops saying wasn't my fault !!!
This was 25 yrs ago and I still have a bad taste in my mouth over this !!

brownIEman

I was hit by a drunk driver in a stolen car being chased by the state police , local police and the campus cops , kid slammed on brakes , did a 360 in street and caught the bumper on my PC !
They wanted to call this avoidable because the rear of the car was near a corner ! I was legally parked ! Took a few months of me fighting them and a letter from the cops saying wasn't my fault !!!
This was 25 yrs ago and I still have a bad taste in my mouth over this !!

That would fall under the not so much category I mentioned earlier.

You do know not every UPS crash investigation goes down like that correct?

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I was sitting at a red light on the way back to the building. A drunk driver ran into the back of my PC. Center supervisor said I should have been watching my side view mirror, seen the guy approaching, realized he didn't have time to stop, and honked my horn to warn him of the impending crash. WTF? He told me they were going to judge it avoidable, I told him I would fight it to the top floor of the ivory tower. Someone up the chain told him to back off and rule it unavoidable. Nothing this company comes up with suprises me.

Covemastah

I was sitting at a red light on the way back to the building. A drunk driver ran into the back of my PC. Center supervisor said I should have been watching my side view mirror, seen the guy approaching, realized he didn't have time to stop, and honked my horn to warn him of the impending crash. WTF? He told me they were going to judge it avoidable, I told him I would fight it to the top floor of the ivory tower. Someone up the chain told him to back off and rule it unavoidable. Nothing this company comes up with suprises me.
How you been @retiredTxfeeder !!
This is why most of the older guys who've been around a long time get so bitter about these situations !!!

oldngray

nowhere special
How you been @retiredTxfeeder !!
This is why most of the older guys who've been around a long time get so bitter about these situations !!!

For a while in my center they were told they had to call everything avoidable. Whether it really was or not. After a few grievances it changed. The worst one was a hit while parked. A mall route where the driver parked where he was told to and even put up cones around his truck. He did get it thrown out.

Tiredbrown

Professional box jockey
I was involved in a head on collision before. I was sitting in the left turn lane waiting to turn the other driver was messing with their radio and crossed the center line and hit me dead on never even touched their brakes. It was ruled unavoidable probably because I was able to honk my horn just before they nailed me. I believe the other driver got a broken ankle and both vehicles were towed away.

Covemastah

Why the hell as a company call almost everything avoidable ?
It sets the company up for failure in a law suit , driver goes to court ,, "hell yah judge , my fault , I could of avoided it! "

If I owned the company , I would defend my drivers within reason !
Something's I just will never under with these people , with their standards on accidents , it makes us all look like incompetent
Idiots , we are expected to think and react to all motorist & pedestrians stupidity and incompetence,,, and for the most part , we all do this everytime we Brown up ,, I for one will never buy into it !!

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!
They act like the horn has magic powers.