When does the negotiations get to the economics/pay?

Moneythehardway

Hello, I know we are in negotiation talks currently, just curious as to when does the union typically bring in the economic/pay portion of the proposal? Very interested in seeing the proposal for new part time starting wages and also the new raises for current employees.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Economics are one of the last things that are discussed.

From what I have been told, the Company tells the Union how much they are willing to spend on their labor costs. The Company and Union then decide how they are going to split that money between FTers and PTers.

Both see the need to address PT wages, whether it be due to pressure from other employers or by individual states raising their minimum wages to upward of $15/hr. The fact that the Company felt pressured to use bonuses to supplement their starting PT wage just to make sure new employees showed up to work tells me that PT wages are one of the hot button issues.

FTers make more than enough money.

It would not surprise me to see the starting wage for new PT hires raised to the $13-15/hr level in the new contract.

Moneythehardway

Thanks, and as a current employee I will be interested in knowing what kind of raises they will give us or will it stay at the current levels ($0.50 twice a year)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Don’t care about pension, health and welfare, or working conditions?

How about harassment or technology?

Glad you mentioned technology—-our BA is on the national committee and he told us that they spent an entire week discussing discipline based solely on technology and could not come to an agreement m. The Company wants the ability to discipline without having to actually see the infraction while the Union says that they must be able to see it before they can discipline.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
From what I have been told, the Company tells the Union how much they are willing to spend on their labor costs. The Company and Union then decide how they are going to split that money between FTers and PTers.
Close but inaccurate. The company doesn’t dictate what they have to give. The union will actually go over the finances and negotiate the sum. That sum will be split mostly by the union. You say drivers make too much, drivers will always get a good raise for 2 reasons. #1 We vote. And #2 the IBT income is dependent upon our wage calculated at 2.5-3x the hourly wage. So no raise, no more income for the IBT. WE WILL ALWAYS GET A RAISE!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Close but inaccurate. The company doesn’t dictate what they have to give. The union will actually go over the finances and negotiate the sum. That sum will be split mostly by the union. You say drivers make too much, drivers will always get a good raise for 2 reasons. #1 We vote. And #2 the IBT income is dependent upon our wage calculated at 2.5-3x the hourly wage. So no raise, no more income for the IBT. WE WILL ALWAYS GET A RAISE!

Fair enough.

How would address the PT wage issue, both for new hires and current employees?

wide load

Fair enough.

How would address the PT wage issue, both for new hires and current employees?
I or anyone can’t answer that fairly until after we know the sum we are working with and the rise in health costs. The biggest question is, will 15 be the minimum wage in the US. If so, I say we stop trying to “negotiate” that in our contract if we are already going to get it in a year or even 2. Don’t waste a good chip.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I or anyone can’t answer that fairly until after we know the sum we are working with and the rise in health costs. The biggest question is, will 15 be the minimum wage in the US. If so, I say we stop trying to “negotiate” that in our contract if we are already going to get it in a year or even 2. Don’t waste a good chip.

I thought most of our healthcare funds were running a surplus. Last I heard ours was 18 months. Current contributions should suffice.

PT Car Washer

So you feel minimum wages is a fair wage for a Union negotiated contract? And no benefits for a year?

wide load

So you feel minimum wages is a fair wage for a Union negotiated contract? And no benefits for a year?
For 3.5 hours a day as a starting wage? Been happening for 2 decades. I’ve always been a proponent of “It doesn’t matter where you start, it matters where you finish.” I started this job at 15 hours a week at $8 bucks and I was fine. I now make almost $37 an hour and now over 100k a year. Get your partimers to vote and maybe things will change. Why are you still part time?