10 step pay raises

Star B

White Lightening
What makes you feel that you deserve UPS compensation?
At bare minimum, we(Express) are no different than Air drivers. The only real difference is that Express doesn't have the stop density because we don't intermingle Ground with our air due to Memphis company shenanigans.

If I had the stop density to do 18 SPoRH, you're better be damn certain that they would be demanding it from us.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
What are the major differences to justify the difference in pay? Aside from the union issue, of course.
FedEx and UPS used to be running neck and neck with loaded trucks until Fedex bought Ground and started persuading customers to use them. Until then, we were only a few dollars below UPS, which was made up for with travel discounts, profit sharing or bonuses here and there, and dirt cheap insurance. Now, UPS trucks are blown out most days and not many of ours are. They earn the pay they get. We don't work as hard as they do anymore.

Oldfart

FedEx and UPS used to be running neck and neck with loaded trucks until Fedex bought Ground and started persuading customers to use them. Until then, we were only a few dollars below UPS, which was made up for with travel discounts, profit sharing or bonuses here and there, and dirt cheap insurance. Now, UPS trucks are blown out most days and not many of ours are. They earn the pay they get. We don't work as hard as they do anymore.
Travel discounts? Our airline discounts should not be considered discounts. I do much better on the open market. Rental car and hotel discounts are out there for everyone. I use GE or 3M discount # and get way better rates than I do with my FDX #.

Our insurance is still fairly inexpensive. I pay about $200 a month for family dental, medical and vision.

Star B

White Lightening
Travel discounts? Our airline discounts should not be considered discounts.

Domestic or International? Domestically, you're right that it sucks. Long haul/International is where it's at.

~120.00 from Istanbul to Tokyo? YES PLEASE!

zerocool5468

What makes you feel that you deserve UPS compensation?

I didn't say we deserve the same, but certainly more. I said "compared" to what you guys make it is sickening. I did not say you're overpaid, nor am I trying to talk :censored2:. But the fact is all of 8-12 year express employees I work with make literally half of what a topped UPS driver does. If you honestly feel you work twice as hard then ok, sure, believe that we deserve half of what you bring home. But in reality we do a very similar job, and provide a very similar service for the same customers. Yet the pay, benefits, insurance, etc couldn't be more dissimilar.

Oldfart

Domestic or International? Domestically, you're right that it sucks. Long haul/International is where it's at.

~120.00 from Istanbul to Tokyo? YES PLEASE!
I know nothing about International rates. I fly domestically several times a year. Catching a sale will beat our discount and flying standby these days is foolish. Too many full planes.

Last edited:

zerocool5468

At bare minimum, we(Express) are no different than Air drivers. The only real difference is that Express doesn't have the stop density because we don't intermingle Ground with our air due to Memphis company shenanigans.

If I had the stop density to do 18 SPoRH, you're better be damn certain that they would be demanding it from us.

My route goal is 19.5 SPH. I ran 24 SPH the other day hustling. I guess Brown would have done 48 SPH though :)

fdxsux

My route goal is 19.5 SPH. I ran 24 SPH the other day hustling. I guess Brown would have done 48 SPH though :)
You must be new to Express. You should never "hustle" at Express. What incentive do they have to pay you more if you're killing it at the lousy 16 bucks an hour they're paying you right now? I've resigned myself to the fact that I will always make a lot less than UPS drivers so I make damn sure I do a lot less work too.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
I know nothing about International rates. I fly domestically several times a year. Catching a sale will beat our discount and flying standby these days is foolish. Too many full planes.
As I understand it, flying standby is definitely the way to go these days. The airline will beat up a full fare-paying passenger of Asian descent and drag his sorry ass off the plane in order to accommodate you!

zerocool5468

You must be new to Express. You should never "hustle" at Express. What incentive do they have to pay you more if you're killing it at the lousy 16 bucks an hour they're paying you right now? I've resigned myself to the fact that I will always make a lot less than UPS drivers so I make damn sure I do a lot less work too.

Hah, yes I am new. And I have come to understand that fact all too well.

Oldfart

Grow a pair and think about your work ethic. If you don't like your pay, why not do something about it. If you continue working there, should you not take pride in doing your job and do a good job, regardless of your pay? Or were you not raised that way?

vantexan

Travel discounts? Our airline discounts should not be considered discounts. I do much better on the open market. Rental car and hotel discounts are out there for everyone. I use GE or 3M discount # and get way better rates than I do with my FDX #.

Our insurance is still fairly inexpensive. I pay about $200 a month for family dental, medical and vision.
I was just quoted $192.06 + $24 processing fee on both American and Delta to fly from Mexico City to London. It's standby, but doubt you'd do as well yourself on open market.