10 step pay raises

vantexan

...not to mention his post retirement relocation advice...
If paying through the nose makes you feel safe then by all means do. You just can't seem to grasp that as a FedEx employee I got much less in compensation than you did and thus have to consider alternatives. I didn't have leftover pay to invest enough to supplement my pension. A pension considerably smaller. While you assume that things are a certain way I've been in contact with people for 20+ years who actually live here, including during the worst of the cartel wars. You just don't realize the scope of American investment down here or the access to the U.S. through the internet. Not to mention we're connected by cheap flights without resorting to standby tickets. I've never said it was perfect but it's an easy choice to be here if the alternative is to barely scrape by between my pension and some crap job into my 70's. What's the adage? When life gives you lemons...

vantexan

Fdxsux, I advise you to take the bet, as Van is uniformly wrong about EVERYTHING. Just look at his posts regarding Trump after the election - populist indeed!
And you live in some fantasyland to think anyone can come in and make pronouncements and it's so just like that. Especially when you've got the press slamming him on every last word he utters and chickenschitt Congressmen vascillating with every wind.

fedx

Extra Large Package
Too bad their steps aren't more than yearly-at best. A long time ago, they gave raises twice a year. Would be nice if these steps were twice a year, but everyone is keeping their fingers crossed they at least do it yearly. Obviously it won't be more than once a year since we're past the 6 month point from last October. But hey, they need to keep all their money so they can buy up companies like TNT. They've been able to do stuff like that by screwing over their employees in pay. And their starting pay for RTDs is much lower than other companies like FedEx Freight, XPO, YRC, ABF, etc. And in those companies you top out in 4-5 years, not 10 (at best) like Express.

Oldfart

I was just quoted $192.06 + $24 processing fee on both American and Delta to fly from Mexico City to London. It's standby, but doubt you'd do as well yourself on open market.
Flying domestic on standby is risky at best. I have flown twice in the last few months and each leg of each trip was a full plane. On 1 leg they were asking for volunteers to take the another flight. We travel as a group of 4, there is no way I would risk standby unless you want to chance your travel plans getting ruined. I spend a few extra $ and buy a confirmed ticket.

Oldfart

Too bad their steps aren't more than yearly-at best. A long time ago, they gave raises twice a year. Would be nice if these steps were twice a year, but everyone is keeping their fingers crossed they at least do it yearly. Obviously it won't be more than once a year since we're past the 6 month point from last October. But hey, they need to keep all their money so they can buy up companies like TNT. They've been able to do stuff like that by screwing over their employees in pay. And their starting pay for RTDs is much lower than other companies like FedEx Freight, XPO, YRC, ABF, etc. And in those companies you top out in 4-5 years, not 10 (at best) like Express.
I don't ever remember twice a year raises. I remember getting them when they were tied into your yearly review. Then again, I am so old, I don't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday.

vantexan

Flying domestic on standby is risky at best. I have flown twice in the last few months and each leg of each trip was a full plane. On 1 leg they were asking for volunteers to take the another flight. We travel as a group of 4, there is no way I would risk standby unless you want to chance your travel plans getting ruined. I spend a few extra $ and buy a confirmed ticket.
No doubt, I've been bumped before and it's not fun. But for international fares it's well worth the risk if you aren't in a hurry. If it took me 3 or 4 days to get on a plane to Europe would still be much cheaper.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

He is retired with very flexible travel plans. Flying standby is the way to go. I plan on doing the same from my comfortable stateside home.

optikz

Is there that much of a difference between driving for Express or UPS?

When your truck looks like this everyday, then we can talk about FedEx deserving ups compensation

Attachments

• 20170525_093907.jpg
    20170525_093907.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 265
  • 20170606_111436.jpg
    20170606_111436.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 237

vantexan

When your truck looks like this everyday, then we can talk about FedEx deserving ups compensation
I've had rts that looked like that every day back before there was FedEx Ground. And returned to bldg completely stuffed with outbound too. And had several UPS rts working same area. In an area so hot my arms would get burned touching shelves. Not all FedEx rts were as easy as you think and we damn sure didn't get compensated for it.

vantexan

He is retired with very flexible travel plans. Flying standby is the way to go. I plan on doing the same from my comfortable stateside home.
By the way, do UPS drivers get interline discounts? Just curious, because otherwise a lot more difficult to get standby tickets these days.

vantexan

Interline discounts are for airlines. UPS isn't considered an airline. They're a package company with airplanes.
I was thinking that's the case, although thought maybe their air drivers might get it since they don't make the money Ground drivers do. At any rate airlines have gotten pretty tight about standby tickets for regular flyers. Was just looking it up yesterday, wondering if there was a way to deal with them direct instead of through our travel office.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I was thinking that's the case, although thought maybe their air drivers might get it since they don't make the money Ground drivers do. At any rate airlines have gotten pretty tight about standby tickets for regular flyers. Was just looking it up yesterday, wondering if there was a way to deal with them direct instead of through our travel office.
Isn't there one airline that we can go up to their counter and buy tickets? Can't remember if it's Spirit or Jet Blue.

vantexan

Isn't there one airline that we can go up to their counter and buy tickets? Can't remember if it's Spirit or Jet Blue.
I flew Southwest to Kansas City from Texas one time to buy a truck I "won" on eBay. Truck wasn't as represented, guy wouldn't give my deposit back. Had enough for gas money home so went to SW counter and explained what happened. They asked for FedEx I.D. and then sold me a standby ticket for that cheap rate they used to give us. I think it was $25. Don't know if they'd do something similar now or not.