10 step pay raises

vantexan

I think you're misunderstanding what oldfart is saying and I think he's misunderstanding you. This is the way I read what you're both saying:
oldfart: Money was put in the traditional pension. When FedEx switched to the portable pension, the money in the traditional wasn't touched. They didn't take anything away.
vantexan: When FedEx switched to the portable, the payout is less than the traditional. Therefore, FedEx took away money we would have gotten if they stayed with the traditional.

Did I interpret those 2 correctly?
Up to a point I agree. Problem is he always denies any wrongdoing by FedEx. Telling us we could stay in the traditional if we chose to was a total lie on their part and it cost us.

Last edited:

!Retired!

Up to a point I agree. Problem is he always denies any wrongdoing by FedEx. Telling us we could stay in the traditional if we chose to was a total lie on their part and it cost us.
2 things.
1. I don't ever remember anyone saying we had a choice to stay in traditional or go to portable. If they did give a choice, who would have ever agreed to switch? Maybe it was one of the many managers that lied to you lying to you again.
2. As of Feb. 2016, only 99 of the Fortune 500 (20%) offer any kind of pension. Think about that for a minute.

Before you bring up UPS pension, I would suggest you do a little research and see how the already retired and future retirees got screwed.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
2 things.
1. I don't ever remember anyone saying we had a choice to stay in traditional or go to portable. If they did give a choice, who would have ever agreed to switch? Maybe it was one of the many managers that lied to you lying to you again.
2. As of Feb. 2016, only 99 of the Fortune 500 (20%) offer any kind of pension. Think about that for a minute.

Before you bring up UPS pension, I would suggest you do a little research and see how the already retired and future retirees got screwed.
I remember being told that we had a choice to stay in traditional or go portable. Of course, they made it sound like it was the best thing since sliced bread. I chose to stay with the traditional.

Oldfart

I think you're misunderstanding what oldfart is saying and I think he's misunderstanding you. This is the way I read what you're both saying:
oldfart: Money was put in the traditional pension. When FedEx switched to the portable pension, the money in the traditional wasn't touched. They didn't take anything away.
vantexan: When FedEx switched to the portable, the payout is less than the traditional. Therefore, FedEx took away money we would have gotten if they stayed with the traditional.

Did I interpret those 2 correctly?
Spot on. NO money was taken away. While the portable pension is better than the traditional to some people, it wasnt for others. But NO money was taken out of any account. You can't say future earnings were taken away. You hadn't earned those benefits yet. That is like saying since they eliminated jumpseat, they took away all the money you have spent on airline tickets since that benefit was eliminated.

The people that had maxed out the traditional made the right call to join the portable the day it came out. That plan benefited some but not all.

vantexan

2 things.

Yes, a lot of companies screwed their employees switching to cash balance plans or just 401k's. I'm not talking about UPS, I'm talking about how FedEx handled their traditional pension plan. We were sent out nice glossy material every year telling us how much we'd get when we retired, including in 2006, right before they announced in early 2007 the plan would cease May 31st, 2008. Why does that matter? Major corporations have long term planning offices that develop these things years in advance. These aren't spur of the moment decisions. If you were hired in 2003(if I remember right) or later you were automatically put into the portable pension so you would've never got to choose. And it was very official, not some mgr playing games. All of us under the traditional pension got a packet outlining our choices. And those who chose to voluntarily go into the new plan didn't get the extra 4% makeup credits annually for 5 years that they gave those 40 and over when they forced us into the new plan.

Oldfart

2 things.

Again spot on. Of the 99 that have a pension, I believe less than 50 have a pension AND a 401k.

vantexan

Spot on. NO money was taken away. While the portable pension is better than the traditional to some people, it wasnt for others. But NO money was taken out of any account. You can't say future earnings were taken away. You hadn't earned those benefits yet. That is like saying since they eliminated jumpseat, they took away all the money you have spent on airline tickets since that benefit was eliminated.

The people that had maxed out the traditional made the right call to join the portable the day it came out. That plan benefited some but not all.
And those of us who hadn't maxed out the traditional got screwed. And those who voluntarily went into the new plan lost an extra 4% a year. A $50k a year courier lost $10k over those 5 years.

Oldfart

And those of us who hadn't maxed out the traditional got screwed. And those who voluntarily went into the new plan lost an extra 4% a year. A $50k a year courier lost $10k over those 5 years.
You continue to live a life of bitterness and hatred and don't even work for the company. EVERY manager you worked for lied to you and every senior manager you knew did the same. The pension changed 10 years ago. Was it right? Depends who you ask and how vested they were in the old plan. You continue to whine and cry about it but no matter how much you cry, it isn't gonna change. I hated when they eliminated jumpseat but I don't cry like a girl dog today. I hate when any benefit is eliminated. It happens and you have to move on. Well except in your case. You will be bitter and hate everything till the day they throw dirt in your face.

vantexan

You continue to live a life of bitterness and hatred and don't even work for the company. EVERY manager you worked for lied to you and every senior manager you knew did the same. The pension changed 10 years ago. Was it right? Depends who you ask and how vested they were in the old plan. You continue to whine and cry about it but no matter how much you cry, it isn't gonna change. I hated when they eliminated jumpseat but I don't cry like a girl dog today. I hate when any benefit is eliminated. It happens and you have to move on. Well except in your case. You will be bitter and hate everything till the day they throw dirt in your face.
Same old smear campaign because you have no answer for the wrongs your favorite company committed. It was fun when we were on mutual ignore watching everyone snapping back at you. Same old song for everyone. Don't you have anything new to say?

vantexan

:people_crybaby::people_crybaby::people_crybaby::people_crybaby::people_crybaby::people_crybaby::people_crybaby::people_crybaby::people_crybaby::people_crybaby::people_crybaby:

It will be fine

Do you think your hatred serves a purpose? Do yourself a favor and scroll through your post history. It is almost entirely negative and personal attacks. I've seen you claim to be a Christian, you're doing it wrong.

zerocool5468

By popular Demand.

Attachments

• 20170926_065109.jpg
    20170926_065109.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 167

fdxsux

That chart supports vantexan's theory that all steps including 10 will remain the same and those that are already on step 10 will receive 3%. Otherwise step 10 would show 27.07. That chart doesn't look real official though.