feeder

Central Pa Member
Here is my story about this senority issue and about how I got into feeders... My story starts 28 years ago when I started as a part time loader, part time belt puller, part time unloader, part time primary sorter, part time irregg train driver, part time small sorter, did some part time preloading, part time air driver, 5 yrs. being a part time pkg cover driver. obtained Full Time status because i was the highest part time cover driver over 30 other cover drivers, As a fulltimer pkg driver with No Bid Route, covered for 2 years until a bid route was available. After 12 years of pkg driving, Feeders put up a "interest sheet". Feeders only wanted 1 person, I was the highest in senority over 20 people who signed it. I went to Feeder school, passed all the tests. I was put on the Q-List, "Feeder Qualification List", Meaning, a 2yr commitment covering Vacations in Feeders but still have a pkg car bid. After a 1 yr and 8 months, a feeder bid comes up, and I cant sign it because i am not a "Real Feeder driver". Nobody signs the Feeder bid, Now the feeder manager assigns it to the highest Feeder Q-list driver, which was turned down by everyone above me, since nobody wanted to be commited to nights. Since I was the lowest Q-list driver, I was the assigned the "Feeder Bid", (which I happily accepted) At that time, I had 16 yrs fulltime senority. After the next 6 monthly bid, I was able to bump into a better Feeder Job, since I had the senority....It would of been an insult on me if I was placed at the bottom of the senority list, especially, under feeder street hires. So when these street hires whine about getting bumped by people like me, I tell them, my story with UPS. They just shut up and walk away.

Last edited:

drewcarr1

Our work rules were negotiated in 2000 and 'fixed' in 2009 but the classification seniority process has never been an issue. I guess it's a matter of your perspective but to me, just going by Company Seniority for classification presents all sorts of problems. A couple of scenarios:

Employee A works P/T for 3 years until eligible for Package, qualifies, and works 17 years in Package working his way to a nice route.
Employee B has one month seniority on Employee A, but stays in P/T working his way to the cushiest of Hub jobs: parking cars, damages, you name it. He decides to go driving and bumps Employee A.

One year later, Employee B has earned one year of Safe Driving and bumps into Feeders, displacing other 20 year drivers from day runs back to nights.

No one is being denied their option to exercise their seniority by our process. When you are eligible to drive, you can exercise your seniority. If you don't you are end-tailed when you do. Everyone can sign up on the Feeder list by Seniority every year, and if their turn comes up that's the time they can guarantee they will go into Feeders at their guaranteed position by Company Seniority. Delay that decision and you are end-tailed. We paid our dues in the Hub to get to Package, and pay them in Package to get to Feeders. Feeders is like working for a whole different UPS so it's appropriate to pay your dues to get the best opportunities there.

If we were to change how we do this, you would see the most movement in the bottom 2/3's which is where the transition from Nights to Days is most present and a lot of the shifting work would go to guys who've been in Feeders more than 6 years.
I think we're happy with the way we do things.
What are the chances of getting on permantly as a feeder driver if you are hired off the street...Drew in Chicago

What are the chances of getting on permantly as a feeder driver if you are hired off the street...Drew in Chicago

In local 705 slim to none. In 710, the peak hiring wave has come and gone and odds are any openings will be filled by the Xmas temp hires they now are familiar with. Still it's worth a shot with both as word is its difficult to find internal employees that will move into feeder.

MassWineGuy

I've heard that feeder driver earns a lot more than package car drivers. Also, that the job is so sought after that the only way a spot opens is if someone dies. Any truth to these? And by the way, I have great respect and admiration for the abilities of you feeder drivers.

I've heard that feeder driver earns a lot more than package car drivers. Also, that the job is so sought after that the only way a spot opens is if someone dies. Any truth to these? And by the way, I have great respect and admiration for the abilities of you feeder drivers.

Dave is correct on the pay depending on region. Some pay the same.

As far as going feeder it also depends on the region. Some take forever. I caught the wave and made feeder barely 9 years after starting with UPS. As far as being worth it that's personal opinion. It doesn't fit some lifestyles, the suave single playboy like Dave for instance, but for others it's the salvation to a long career at UPS.
It's the package guys I'm having the respect/sympathy for. All the leashes and work they have on them now. They're screwed. I would quit before going back.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder

We have hired more than 100 feeder drivers since 2006 and maybe a little less than half of those are in feeders full time (the rest bump back and forth from Package). That's mostly due to Amazon. We make $.68/hr more than Package rate but in general get, and want, more hours than Package drivers especially in the summer.

pretender

It used to be, and still is to an extent, of being in the right place at the right time. I only was a package driver for six years before going into feeders, but it was a result of our building being converted to a hub. If you are in a center with fewer than ten feeder drivers, you are in for a long wait.

QKRSTKR

Why is it not worth it? By far worth it for me. Did I tell you there was no peak season this year for me? Dracula and cachsux were right, December in feeders is just another month in the year. Make 50 cents more an hr pulling doubles. A 9 or 10 hr day is about equivalent to how you feel when you have your air off.

As far as winter driving that's the only downside. First few good snows under my belt. Just go slow, and if in doubt go slower. Don't hit the brakes. If you plan ahead you can bring it all to a stop with touching the brakes. Beats trudging through the snow all day with wet feet.

Taco

I had a rental truck once with a jake brake in it. When engaged and pulling a full load you can go from 30-0 in just a few hundred feet without touching the brakes.

A

anonymous6

try working graveyard for years, sleeping, and spending quality time with family and you'll see the downside for feeders. only on vacations.

studies have shown that truck drivers, especially graveyard shift workers, have a life expectancy of 15 years less than normal. we just lost another feeder driver who was retired for less than 18 months. seems to happen a lot.

happybob

Feeders
Why full time? Breaking a sweat from day one working one's way up the ladder should trump all. Why should a pt with ten years be behind an off the street hire in FT?
That part timer puts in half the time I do, but gets to enjoy the same health benefits in my local. I work 60 hours a week as a full timer, he/she works 20. It was the rule when I started and doubt it will ever get changed.

MassWineGuy

I don't have the training, energy, skill or inclination to be a feeder driver, but let me just say shout my respect and thanks to those who do. Sounds like it makes driving a brownie like pushing a cart in the supermarket.

MaceFremonti

I was in delivery for 22+ years and was lucky enough to make it into Feeders in May. Yesterday was the first time in seven months that I drove a package car. I had to move an old 800 (what I used to drive) so that I had enough room to squeeze a 53' box onto a door. Initially it looked like I had never backed a package car before! It was like I had forgotten how to wheel one. I hopped back in my tractor and put the 53' in without a second thought. I was laughing at myself the whole way home last night!

That part timer puts in half the time I do, but gets to enjoy the same health benefits in my local. I work 60 hours a week as a full timer, he/she works 20. It was the rule when I started and doubt it will ever get changed.

And......?

I put in 60 hours this past week tugging around a handful of trailers. When I got home my personal PC guy was going down our road still humping. I worked way less than him. By theory I deserve less.

My general rule on UPS jobs is not to knock the ones you won't go do yourself.