Contract talks

upsman2940

I honestly can't say we are over compensated. I been driving 10+ years . Worked on the preload for nearly 5 years. I was thrilled to get on with ups back in the late 90s, right after the strike. I was newly married with the mind set of taking the necessary steps to provide for my family to be. I agree working 2 jobs for the first 5 years was a drag. Most of my pt checks were spent on Friday night. Had this grand idea that getting that ft position would fix all. Somethings has been good and some has been bad. There is no compensation great enough to equal what we lose as a husband father, friend. Most of these pt workers don't realize the sacrifices that have to be made when accepting a ft time spot. Long long hours. No family life. My wife often says that she is a single mother Monday thru Friday. I leave the house at 745 am and return most nights at 745. I will never be convinced that I make enough money when ups sees me more than my family does. So go ahead part-timers keep telling yourselves that you deserve so much more cause the drivers are overpaid.

upsgrunt

As my years pile up, I keep thinking about how I am becoming physically bankrupt from the in and out and up and down of package car. I basically sold my body to UPS for my wages- and I think they got a pretty good deal.

If you've only been driving 2 years you have no idea what I'm talking about and the longer you drive, the less you will think that we are overpaid.

GolfCart

As my years pile up, I keep thinking about how I am becoming physically bankrupt from the in and out and up and down of package car. I basically sold my body to UPS for my wages- and I think they got a pretty good deal.

If you've only been driving 2 years you have no idea what I'm talking about and the longer you drive, the less you will think that we are overpaid.

Do not forget your mind being shot as your body . The mind games are sad at UPS

moreluck

golden ticket member

Just review the words of Sixteen Tons by Ernie Ford. UPS is not unique in this matter.

hembone

I can't believe you just said that. I was thinking the same thing yesterday as my back ached and my hip hurt.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

I think anybody in their 40's and older feel the same way you do more than they did in their 20's

While any physical job will tend to make one feel more so, your pains and aches in your muscles, joints and tendons were going to occur anyway.

If you are a smaller bone-frame person, it will be worse.
If you don't use proper lifting techniques, it will be worse.

Regardless of the causative factors, I definitely feel your pain.

upstateny

I think everybody also has to remember that the current contract started before the edd system. Drivers are doing 25 to 50 more stops per route in my building. This needs to be taken into account when we negotiate the next contract.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I think anybody in their 40's and older feel the same way you do more than they did in their 20's

While any physical job will tend to make one feel more so, your pains and aches in your muscles, joints and tendons were going to occur anyway.

If you are a smaller bone-frame person, it will be worse.
If you don't use proper lifting techniques, it will be worse.

Regardless of the causative factors, I definitely feel your pain.
God, I wish this weren't true. Add in surgery recovery and OUCH!!!!

Southwestern

I honestly can't say we are over compensated... So go ahead part-timers keep telling yourselves that you deserve so much more cause the drivers are overpaid.

Our compensation is significantly higher than comparable companies & professions. Demanding wage hikes in excess of $40/hour + having the company continue to absorb 100% of annual health care increases -- for a job that merely requires one to know how to drive is fatuous. I too like to earn as much money as possible, but not at the cost of my company faltering. UPS already cannot compete with FedEx Ground, OnTrac, etc. on cost and is increasingly relying on logistics to turn a profit on otherwise money-losing accounts. And some people want to make the problem WORSE? Do you know what will happen to UPS in the upcoming years should FedEx not be unionized & UPS's costs continue to spiral beyond control? Business will flock to FedEx and UPS will begin to lose money ultimately resulting in a bankruptcy in which contracts & pensions will be tossed out. The end result is compensation that will be much lower than it otherwise would be. It's happened in other industries. It will happen to us. (FedEx has just spent billions overhauling its Ground network infostructure. Most of its hubs have been overbuilt to accommodate years of expansion. It's finally overcome its biggest hurdle.)

In regards to our bodies aging... we choose this profession. We always had the option of choosing another career, or planning an early "out" at UPS with or without a career change. I emphasize with drivers in their 60s with 30+ years in who are still working because of catastrophic circumstances in their life. I most certainly do not emphasize with drivers in that position because they went out and purchased a $600,000 lakefront house in their 50s, plus a $100,000 boat, $60,000 BMW, etc.

22.34life

The idea that we aren't going to get raises is laughable. UPS is making billions of dollars a quarter the teamster wouldn't even give that any consideration.

Next time your going to start some rumors about contract negotiations that haven't even started yet please make them believable.
is it really that unbelievable?the new hired p/t will most likley not get the same raises as current p/t,benifits will be cut for new p/t.dont think that because ups is making record money that they will give us a record contract.

curiousbrain

Our compensation is significantly higher than comparable companies & professions. Demanding wage hikes in excess of $40/hour + having the company continue to absorb 100% of annual health care increases -- for a job that merely requires one to know how to drive is fatuous. I too like to earn as much money as possible, but not at the cost of my company faltering. UPS already cannot compete with FedEx Ground, OnTrac, etc. on cost and is increasingly relying on logistics to turn a profit on otherwise money-losing accounts. And some people want to make the problem WORSE? Do you know what will happen to UPS in the upcoming years should FedEx not be unionized & UPS's costs continue to spiral beyond control? Business will flock to FedEx and UPS will begin to lose money ultimately resulting in a bankruptcy in which contracts & pensions will be tossed out. The end result is compensation that will be much lower than it otherwise would be. It's happened in other industries. It will happen to us. (FedEx has just spent billions overhauling its Ground network infostructure. Most of its hubs have been overbuilt to accommodate years of expansion. It's finally overcome its biggest hurdle.)

In regards to our bodies aging... we choose this profession. We always had the option of choosing another career, or planning an early "out" at UPS with or without a career change. I emphasize with drivers in their 60s with 30+ years in who are still working because of catastrophic circumstances in their life. I most certainly do not emphasize with drivers in that position because they went out and purchased a $600,000 lakefront house in their 50s, plus a $100,000 boat, $60,000 BMW, etc.

I believe you mean "empathize"; just saying.

Re-Raise

for a job that merely requires one to know how to drive is fatuous.

Whatever your real position within the company is and whatever your real agenda is for being on this site... please just go away.

I know how you feel and wish you worked at my center. I would love to give you a resi split while you were skipping around in joy telling us how lucky we all are.

You are so out of touch if you actually believe that. There are tons of us part timers that are still working at a low wage for many years. I've been with UPS for 8 years and signed every bid, full time opportunities are nowhere near as easily accessible as you seem to believe.

So I'm not sure who you think these raises would be "wasted" on. Certainly not me.

Also, maybe turnover wouldn't be as high if the wages were better. I don't see any turnover with full time inside employees, even the ones who have been transferred and are being forced to work split shifts.

If you've been working part-time for 8 years, you're already making more than most customers are willing to pay for that level of work. It's the customers who pay us. If you're in a center where a driver job is in the distant future, you may want to find a full-time job. Surely you can acquire marketable skills in your off hours.

Southwestern

Whatever your real position within the company is and whatever your real agenda is for being on this site... please just go away.

I know how you feel and wish you worked at my center. I would love to give you a resi split while you were skipping around in joy telling us how lucky we all are.

I am who I say I am. I enjoy sharing my thoughts & experiences here and reading others; you could see that from reading my many posts.

If you're incapable of having thoughtful interactions with others, as opposed to launching personal attacks on those who don't agree with your view points, then you need to go away. You certainly don't need to agree with me, but you don't need to display your ignorance.

CharleyHustle

UPS already cannot compete with FedEx Ground, OnTrac, etc. on cost and is increasingly relying on logistics to turn a profit on otherwise money-losing accounts. And some people want to make the problem WORSE? Do you know what will happen to UPS in the upcoming years should FedEx not be unionized & UPS's costs continue to spiral beyond control? Business will flock to FedEx and UPS will begin to lose money ultimately resulting in a bankruptcy in which contracts & pensions will be tossed out. The end result is compensation that will be much lower than it otherwise would be. It's happened in other industries. It will happen to us.

I'm wondering why you don't work for FedEx then. I think just based on this quote I'll be applying there tomorrow.