Contract talks

Re-Raise

King of Chester, Southwestern claims he is a driver. I am not buying it. He said he has been covering routes for a couple of years.

Southwestern

Uggh. The corporate line on surepost is that is volume we are GAINING that would have otherwise gone to the USPS or through Fed Ex Smart Post.

Do you somehow believe that the delivery of packages is insignificant to UPS profits? It is the engine that allows all the other branches within UPS to exist.

What is the point you are trying to make?

I made my point earlier: The primary growth at UPS is coming outside its domestic small package system; the domestic small package system contributes only a fraction of the profit. You challenged this point, but did not prove me wrong.

Re-Raise

I made my point earlier: The primary growth at UPS is coming outside its domestic small package system; the domestic small package system contributes only a fraction of the profit. You challenged this point, but did not prove me wrong.

And the point of this argument in relation to contract talks with the teamsters is ???

Re-Raise

A very much YMMV situation. The majority of drivers I work with (I work in a very large building housing three centers) were hired during an expansion period and never worked an inside shift. Many others worked just a few months. Compare that to what it takes today: a bid closed two weeks ago and the lowest senior guy was 12-years PT.

Interesting that you detail other individual's path to driving and not your own.

Southwestern

Starting to sound like my ex wife. I say up, you say down. I say black, you say white. I got it.

When have I ever changed my position? I thought we could have an intelligent conversation, but you're starting to respond like a child.

First off, I worked the pre-load. 2nd off, in my building...my center the preload is not held to the same standards as drivers. There is one preloader that has been working for over a year now. He is good for atleast 5 missloads per truck a DAY.

I seriously doubt management wouldn't act upon a Preloader missloading 15-20 packages per day. I was an alternate steward for several years. I KNOW the company acts upon missloads, etc.

3rd off, until you drive you have no business commenting on what skills are needed.

I've been FT driving for almost two years. I previously drove seasonally as well as Saturday for many years before that. This isn't a skilled position; you merely need to know how to drive and be capable of doing manual labor.

Thats what I said ...pay them more......but hold them more accountable. You are so set on being argumentive, that you don't see that you just stated the same thing I did.

You changed your argument. I just reiterated what I previously wrote.

A good portion of the loaders I know are getting paid what they are worth. When I have to deliver 3 miss loads to 3 different area's and that takes me an extra 45 minutes to an hour do to driving all over Gods creation that is costing the company a lot of money at 45+ an hour not including fuel and other expenses.

Sure, after a decade of PT I was making about $20/hour. But I was being chased off the clock in less that three hours, and being harassed if I asked for my guarantee. And we don't deliver missloads; the FT sups retrieve them or we tag them as missed. Occasionally, if a stop is relatively close we're ask to pursue it but usually only when there's a guarantee.

Again, according to your statement you agree with me. Pay more and get better workers. In my building, if you got a pulse you got a job. If you want to drive, you need a hell of a lot more then a pulse.

I merely reiterated what I've written all along: if you hire anybody with a pulse, you're going to get the quality of anybody with a pulse.

If and when you drive, you can comment on what it takes. Until then, perhaps it is reasonable you speak of which you know.

I bet I have more (cumulative) driving experience than you...

Southwestern

And the point of this argument in relation to contract talks with the teamsters is ???

I've written my argument several times:

We need to recognize that:
a) We already earn industry-leading total compensation.
b) FedEx Ground is a viable competitor earning market share at a torrid pace with a huge labor advantage.
c) In order for our company to successfully compete well into the future we need to be conservative with our demands.

I'm young. I may be here many years. Although I want to share the success, I want my company to be successful. I recognize the effects strong unions have had on legacy companies (my dad's pension was dumped upon the PBGC). I don't want that to be us.

Interesting that you detail other individual's path to driving and not your own.

Huh? What details would you like to know?

kingOFchester

When have I ever changed my position? I thought we could have an intelligent conversation, but you're starting to respond like a child.

I seriously doubt management wouldn't act upon a Preloader missloading 15-20 packages per day. I was an alternate steward for several years. I KNOW the company acts upon missloads, etc.

I've been FT driving for almost two years. I previously drove seasonally as well as Saturday for many years before that. This isn't a skilled position; you merely need to know how to drive and be capable of doing manual labor.

You changed your argument. I just reiterated what I previously wrote.

Sure, after a decade of PT I was making about $20/hour. But I was being chased off the clock in less that three hours, and being harassed if I asked for my guarantee. And we don't deliver missloads; the FT sups retrieve them or we tag them as missed. Occasionally, if a stop is relatively close we're ask to pursue it but usually only when there's a guarantee.

I merely reiterated what I've written all along: if you hire anybody with a pulse, you're going to get the quality of anybody with a pulse.

I bet I have more (cumulative) driving experience than you...

My apologies, I confused you with another poster (ftballer67) who started some mud slinging.. Sorry about that. *lesson learned, don't post with a hangover..

Anyway, one thing I have learned from the cafe here, things vary from building to building, center to center. I can assure you that we are required to send in all miss loads to center by 2pm. At that point, ten to one, you will be instructed to make service. I have driven 15 miles one way to make service on a ground QVC bag.

My center has a huge focus on missed packages. We also have a huge issue with missloads, which I know my new center manager is trying to address.

So let me ask you, do you agree that UPS will hire anyone with a pulse?

Re-Raise

Huh? What details would you like to know?

So if I am to understand your position.. you are in your mid 30 s and still in the wage progression as a driver after 2 years.

You are trying to convince the rest of us that have been driving for decades that we should be happy for what we are making and not ask for an increase in pay because it would hurt the company.

I am glad we didn't have people like you negotiating for us over the last 30 years. The company has claimed they are struggling to pay our wages for as long as I have been with the company.. yet the dividend goes up each year.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Yes as it know it will ensure the financial stability of the company in the long term.

You say financial stability, I say unnecessary giveback.
All it will ensure is the continued culture of a top heavy managerial staff.
Record profits necessitates no concessions at the bargaining table.
Guys like you become transparent in your attempt to sellout the unborn.
Thankfully our predicessors didn't share ideals.
You need to grow a pair Nancy.

Southwestern

So if I am to understand your position.. you are in your mid 30 s and still in the wage progression as a driver after 2 years.

You are trying to convince the rest of us that have been driving for decades that we should be happy for what we are making and not ask for an increase in pay because it would hurt the company.

I am glad we didn't have people like you negotiating for us over the last 30 years. The company has claimed they are struggling to pay our wages for as long as I have been with the company.. yet the dividend goes up each year.

...and you could probably careless if UPS falters as a corporation beacause you'll be retired by then.

Me, me, me, it's all about me... gotta love the mentality on these forums.

FedEx Ground, OnTrac, etc. are real threats, folks. And they aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Re-Raise

...and you could probably careless if UPS falters as a corporation beacause you'll be retired by then.

Me, me, me, it's all about me... gotta love the mentality on these forums.

FedEx Ground, OnTrac, etc. are real threats, folks. And they aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Stop raising the dividend by 10 % and spending a few billion to buy back shares to give to management as bonuses each year. The company could then lower prices.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Stop raising the dividend by 10 % and spending a few billion to buy back shares to give to management as bonuses each year. The company could then lower prices.

I make the assumption that the BOD has considered that.

To protect the integrity of UPS stock, the dividend needs to go up another $0.03 per quarter in the next 9 months. Buying back stock is a decent investment if UPS gets the dividend paid backed to the company.

Most management does not get the MIP in stock ... you are so 1990's.
And assuming the MIP was paid in stock now, management would then be paid in cash, which is essentially what happens now other than the RSU which are immediately sold by most management.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I make the assumption that the BOD has considered that.

To protect the integrity of UPS stock, the dividend needs to go up another $0.03 per quarter in the next 9 months. Buying back stock is a decent investment if UPS gets the dividend paid backed to the company.

Most management does not get the MIP in stock ... you are so 1990's.
And assuming the MIP was paid in stock now, management would then be paid in cash, which is essentially what happens now other than the RSU which are immediately sold by most management.
The problem has been identified.