Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I would assume this is a Simple grievance?

At least if you aren't maxing hours and you want more.

It doesn't happen here. But wherever it happens, the subcontractor article in the contract states they can't avoid paying ot if subcontractors are working. I think it is section 38.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
The difference on the mileage run I'm on now, between doubles and singles is nearly a $100 a week. That's an issue.

How many miles do you run?

Not saying that you are being shorted and it isn't worth grieving, but I think that $100 is quite an exaggeration.

The difference between doubles and singles is $0.0178. At 3000 miles per week, that is $53.40.

Not saying you shouldn't get that, but $100?

As long as you are not losing hours I don't understand why you are bitching.

Not losing hours, but losing money here. The doubles pay premium.

And some places may not let you work the extra time that you are losing for pre-trip, post-trip, dropping and building sets as opposed to singles.

-we lose the hook up and pretrip time;
-we lose the unhook time at the turn around;

We can get all the time we want up to 60 hours if they use gypsies, so at least we don't lose any time, but we do sometimes lose the doubles pay.

-we lose the safer, more comfortable ride of having weight on the fifth wheel as compared to bobtailing.

Totally agree. I have waited 3 hours for them to unload a trailer so that I could get an empty because I was not bobtailing back in the snow.

And yes, a loaded trailer is a much smoother ride. Although, these new Macks, Internationals and KW's.....they bobtail rather nicely compared to the junk we used to have with the springs instead of air bags.

Dracula

How many miles do you run?

Not saying that you are being shorted and it isn't worth grieving, but I think that $100 is quite an exaggeration.

The difference between doubles and singles is $0.0178. At 3000 miles per week, that is $53.40.

Not saying you shouldn't get that, but $100?

s.

600 miles, but you're right.

over9five

Staff member
The gypsies can drop a trailer in our yard, but we give them their trailer off property with a shifter.
No way would they let one put it on a door.
HERE, they can't come on property. The new plan they started for this Peak has them dropping their trailers in the six lanes we have to enter the property. Then a shifter takes them the rest of the way in. Twice now I've seen dropped gypsy loads in 5 lanes with a mile of our guys, package cars etc waiting for access to the one remaining lane.
Good plan.....

Dracula

I understand.

You're doing the same job you do all year, and are making $50 less per week for the sole reason that shiny wheels are moving our loads.

It's not right and should not happen.

Well, for me, it only lasted three days. I'm still getting about 13 hours of sheet time on top of it.

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
Has anyone in feeders lost hours, due to gypsies working?
Nope. In fact we’re guaranteed a 12 hour day, when they are used. We regularly have guys getting paid to sit and watch the circus clowns create havoc. Meanwhile, the :censored2: show in the preloads and centers continue. UPS Management is friend’n amazing. Package drivers get hounded for an extra 2 minutes at a stop, while feeder drivers are paid to watch scabs take twice as long to do our work. Keep printing my checks!

Last edited:

barnyard

KTM rider
We are getting 1 load a night from Cach via gypsies and 2 of our feeder guys are working 6 nights a week. They are working very close to 70 hours.