browntroll

Wear a brown one if possible.

I'm surprised you have short sleeve uniform?
i have never done driver helper before but im thinking about it this year. i get flare ups from certain clothing. its not bad since i mostly
get it on my torso but every once in a while i get it on my arms. just dont want to be scratching my self and driver thinks im infected with something.
normally 100% polyester shirts are perfect since they let my skin breathe.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
White
Or brown.

I know black
Looks way better than white but read the appearance standards. White or brown. That's it.
Over the years probably half the helpers I have worked with were issued nothing more than a hat and a pullover. Many had no uniform at all. Others were issued uniform pants that fit so poorly as to be unwearable. Appearance standards? If I have 10 hours worth of stops left to do at 2:00 on a dark rainy December day, I dont give a rats ass what color undershirt my helper is wearing, and if they have a jacket on then its a moot point anyway.

Dr.Brownz

#1) I had a pre-employment drug test.
#2) Do drivers really not care what the helpers wear? I'm wearing my uniform as a first-time helper tomorrow. Is this a mistake?

You got drug tested for helper? Really? I did 4 years of helper during college and was never tested

Got hired PT and was never tested

Got hired FT and never tested

Got in 2 accidents and was never tested for either. Both were minor tree scrapes

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
i have never done driver helper before but im thinking about it this year. i get flare ups from certain clothing. its not bad since i mostly
get it on my torso but every once in a while i get it on my arms. just dont want to be scratching my self and driver thinks im infected with something.
normally 100% polyester shirts are perfect since they let my skin breathe.
There are many reports of people with skin conditions having flare ups from these uniforms, they suck. Wash them a few times, put lots of softener or/and baking soda in the laundry, that will help. Wear longs sleeves under your shirts, if you are in an area that can wear short sleeves in the winter , roll them up in the building, problem solved.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
For drivers: Stay hydrated. Get organized. Always keep your next few stops set up and ready to go on the shelf. Set up the bulk stops at the back on the floor so you can push them right out onto your cart at the stop. Keep your air deliveries, ground deliveries, air pickups, and ground pickups segregated. if you can, concentrate on businesses earlier in the day until you become accustomed to your route. You can always come back for residentials. Get a good flashlight or spotlight for finding house numbers in the dark and so you can see where you're walking. Take note of where you should be along the route at certain times of day to keep things running smooth. When in doubt, call for an air recovery, it's not worth getting back to the building with your air pickups late. Don't deliver late air, don't have missed pieces, don't have accidents or injuries, and follow the methods. As long as you do those four there's not much they can do to you.

For belt workers: Stay hydrated. You will be sore for the first couple weeks but your muscles will get used to it. Work as quick as you can but don't overexert yourself. You have nothing to prove; get help lifting heavier stuff. Make a game out of it: have races, tell jokes, or play jenga; it makes the time go much faster and more enjoyable.
So we do earn our pay as a driver?

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
I had one new driver had a road call and he asked if that was my hour lunch? NOOOOOOOOO thats separate so hurry up and let me get some stops to bail your a__ out today at 7 oclock at night.

browntroll

was told today by a guy doing driver helper that him and his driver pee into a bottle, just wondering if this is common.
would drivers tolerate someone that has to use the bathroom alot? or would they find themselves out of a job?
also if driver doesnt seem to like my work/pace im assuming i can get fired and i would be out of driver helper till next season?

upschuck

was told today by a guy doing driver helper that him and his driver pee into a bottle, just wondering if this is common.
Yes, it is common, unless you are on a route with a lot of bathrooms
would drivers tolerate someone that has to use the bathroom alot? or would they find themselves out of a job?
Depends on how good they are delivering packages.
also if driver doesnt seem to like my work/pace im assuming i can get fired and i would be out of driver helper till next season?
A driver can request a different helper if he doesn't like the helper's work.

laffter

I'm sure it happens, but if I was an outside helper, I'd report this to the coordinator and ask to be assigned to a different driver. Do rural routes need help? I imagine not. If they do, you're in the effing country, piss outside. There is absolutely no need to piss into containers unless you're locked in a room or dying of thirst.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I'm sure it happens, but if I was an outside helper, I'd report this to the coordinator and ask to be assigned to a different driver. Do rural routes need help? I imagine not. If they do, you're in the effing country, piss outside. There is absolutely no need to piss into containers unless you're locked in a room or dying of thirst.
Agreed. Except in the case of an emergency, you should not be pissing in a bottle as a helper. If you're in a super rural area where it's all woods with no chance of a pedestrian walking up on you or a car coming along then just go into the woods and take a leak. If you're not out in the woods, then drive to a friggen bathroom.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I have never had a helper have that issue, but I tell them toward the beginning of our time together to go right before I pick you up, then we'll have lunch at the same gas station/store every day around the same time so plan on going then and if you can't hold it tell me and I'll drive you to a business to use their bathroom.

If you're a slug, you probably won't last. If you're fat, out of shape, really old or disabled in some way, but I can see you're busting your butt for me I'll suck it up and live with a slow helper while you're getting into the swing of things. If you're just taking your time and not working with a sense of urgency, then yeah, within 48 hours you'll be off my truck for good.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

100% agree. My route is in the city and I ask my helper to try to coordinate his restroom stops for when we are in a commercial stop with a public restroom. When I had my country run I would try to find a public restroom but most of the time I would just stop on the side of the road.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
100% agree. My route is in the city and I ask my helper to try to coordinate his restroom stops for when we are in a commercial stop with a public restroom. When I had my country run I would try to find a public restroom but most of the time I would just stop on the side of the road.
I will tell my helper that this is the last rest room for a couple of hours so they better go.