Getting ugly

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Look, here's the real answer why this will never happen, much as I have always advocated for stewards to be the "Sergeant Of Arms" at the panels as well.
It's not that they can not contribute, just the opposite, as they have frontline knowledge of new technologies and policies.

See, in most cases, these elected officials, who were once elected stewards themselves, realize the threat these stewards are to rise up and run against them in subsequent Local elections.

So once elected, most that are "Inthegame" and subsequently become "BigUnionGuys", rarely strive to empower some uppity steward that may actually be able to make tangible contributions.
Instead, they are kept in their place, and if they toe the line and wait their turn, they may be brought in through attrition....maybe.

That's a valid observation and in some cases, cut's close to the bone.

My Local uses Stewards as "Sergeant at Arms" at Local meetings and are paid.

For panels to use a Steward, they would have to be taken out of service and

compensated. But more importantly, the "Rules and Procedures" for those

particular panels would have to be modified. I don't see that happening.

I was recently told that my job as steward, was to make my BA's job easier? Sounds about right, smh.

Wow.... that's insulting.

Maybe they could had said something bad about your Mama too.

-Bug-

F

Frankie's Friend

Who would do such a thing?
Glad you said "most", not all. Unfortunately I've seen exactly that process play out. Those locals then suffer in the future, with marginal leadership and disgruntled members.
Goes both ways and effective BA's need good stewards to efficiently service the members. That relationship need cultivation.
It all depends on the local's allegiances.

Our BA has no gonads and is a consistant friend to management. He also chairs a panel and often rules in support of the labor manager he is the counterpart with in local hearings, exasperating stewards across the state.

Look, here's the real answer why this will never happen, much as I have always advocated for stewards to be the "Sergeant Of Arms" at the panels as well.
It's not that they can not contribute, just the opposite, as they have frontline knowledge of new technologies and policies.

See, in most cases, these elected officials, who were once elected stewards themselves, realize the threat these stewards are to rise up and run against them in subsequent Local elections.

So once elected, most that are "Inthegame" and subsequently become "BigUnionGuys", rarely strive to empower some uppity steward that may actually be able to make tangible contributions.
Instead, they are kept in their place, and if they toe the line and wait their turn, they may be brought in through attrition....maybe.

I was recently told that my job as steward, was to make my BA's job easier?
Sounds about right, smh.
When they get elected they get amnesia which is a direct byproduct of purposely forgetting where they came from and why they're a BA or PO in the first place .

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

Our BA has no gonads and is a consistant friend to management. He also chairs a panel and often rules in support of the labor manager he is the counterpart with in local hearings, exasperating stewards across the state.

When they get elected they get amnesia which is a direct byproduct of purposely forgetting where they came from and why they're a BA or PO in the first place .

I was going to respond to your post.

But you're local to the situation.... and I'm not.

twoweeled

That's the point though. The union leaders who are in charge of negotiating this contract are basically throwing out anyone that opposes what they are doin.

What are they going to do if the membership votes it down? Blame each area that votes no leaders? Tell the members fine you'll just work under the old contract and get no raises?
This is going to be just like the last contract. The Union and the company working against us. We will be fighting both of them. Just watch.
The company will make a crappy final proposal, and our Union will try and convince us to take it (Scratch, "try"). They will convince us to take it!
Bottom line! We'll all be angry, because they did it to us,,,,,again.

shutterstock_138466490.jpg

twoweeled

Replace WGA with teamsters and this is what was meant by the union representative

Myth #1:

WGA members who vote YES for a strike authorization are voting to actually strike.

Reality:

A YES for strike authorization only gives the WGA membership the ability to strike if they have to. A “yes” vote empowers our negotiation team with necessary leverage in the negotiations. It does not mean a strike.
You are so correct. Thinking back when we gave the strike authorization to Carey, UPS at that point knew Carey was in a position to call a strike and would do it, if he felt it necessary. We all know, Carey and UPS didn't like each other. Puts our committee on an equal footing with UPS.
If we look at management's position, they don't need anyone's approval for anything. The union knows, what that negotiation committee decides on, has already been discussed with UPS's powers that be. What that UPS team says, is pretty much a go! Not so with our negotiation committee.
Now all this is heavily dependent on who we're giving the authorization too! Giving it to a UPS friendly, Union negotiating committee, is like giving the authorization to UPS itself. Meaningless!

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
This is going to be just like the last contract. The Union and the company working against us. We will be fighting both of them. Just watch.
The company will make a crappy final proposal, and our Union will try and convince us to take it (Scratch, "try"). They will convince us to take it!
Bottom line! We'll all be angry, because they did it to us,,,,,again.

shutterstock_138466490.jpg

If you don’t like the offer

Time to Nut up and vote no

twoweeled

Hey, remember that you only make $100,000 starting off if you're in feeders.
Yep! Working feeder and giving away any real life you may have had because you're doing nothing except, working and sleeping. This after years of being beat in package for 10-15 years. Suffering skeletal issues for the rest of your life. The public doesn't know our job. Never will. People have little sympathy for anyone making more than they are. Income is relative.

twoweeled

I doubt it's the same everywhere, but in some Local's, the stewards are told how aggressive to be. In many cases, the stewards know they are to minimize confrontations with management. I am certain of this. I'm not certain if this is solely a Local's decision, or it comes directly/indirectly from the IBT on down. I've had BA's that should have been sitting on the other side of the table from me (at meetings). I've also had a couple of BA's who I felt would get a sup or manager in a choke hold if the opportunity arose. Different Local Sec Tres.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
You are so correct. Thinking back when we gave the strike authorization to Carey, UPS at that point knew Carey was in a position to call a strike and would do it, if he felt it necessary. We all know, Carey and UPS didn't like each other. Puts our committee on an equal footing with UPS.
If we look at management's position, they don't need anyone's approval for anything. The union knows, what that negotiation committee decides on, has already been discussed with UPS's powers that be. What that UPS team says, is pretty much a go! Not so with our negotiation committee.
Now all this is heavily dependent on who we're giving the authorization too! Giving it to a UPS friendly, Union negotiating committee, is like giving the authorization to UPS itself. Meaningless!
On the money.

F

Frankie's Friend

I doubt it's the same everywhere, but in some Local's, the stewards are told how aggressive to be. In many cases, the stewards know they are to minimize confrontations with management. I am certain of this. I'm not certain if this is solely a Local's decision, or it comes directly/indirectly from the IBT on down. I've had BA's that should have been sitting on the other side of the table from me (at meetings). I've also had a couple of BA's who I felt would get a sup or manager in a choke hold if the opportunity arose. Different Local Sec Tres.
It's not the same everywhere but 1 local like that is enough.
Put dues % as a performance based rate and see who gets their mind right.

F

Frankie's Friend

I was going to respond to your post.

But you're local to the situation.... and I'm not.
It's ok. It's our problem.
The bad thing is because of this guy's position elsewhere it affects many outside our local.
And that affects morale, which affects trust, which affects how members vote on CBAs.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
That's a valid observation and in some cases, cut's close to the bone.

My Local uses Stewards as "Sergeant at Arms" at Local meetings and are paid.

For panels to use a Steward, they would have to be taken out of service and

compensated. But more importantly, the "Rules and Procedures" for those

particular panels would have to be modified. I don't see that happening.
I never thought it would happen either....

....because why would they venture to do anything different, while things are obviously going so well???:wink2:

~Bbbl~™

BigBrown1234

I was recently told that my job as steward, was to make my BA's job easier?
Sounds about right, smh.

So so true, been down that road. I was not recognizing as steward after I decided to run in an election against the ST. I barely lost and I work in a small center with only about 80 people and our local has 6k membership.

Union officials are 100% about self preservation

That’s why the union made a closed system instead of facilitating an environment of knowledge that allows the true best to rise to the top.

After the election management pulled me in the office and showed me a letter from the union naming all the stewards and I was not on the list.
I demanded they put me on the list. The ST and BA requested that I prove I was a steward. How the hell do I do that? The election was nothing more than a show of hands before the shift started. I only have 7 people on my sort.
I demanded in a certified letter to have a current election on my sort to verify my status. I requested the eboard run an investigation on my sort to verify my status. All of my co workers and even management acknowledged I was a long time recognized steward.
The ST and BA refused to hold another election and no one wanted to run against me. The union decided to appointed a steward to the position against our bylaws. The member they appointed sent an email and cc me that he recused himself because he stated he has always known Me to be the main steward. So now we don’t have a steward on my shift. So how the hell is that good for the members.

Everyone still comes to me even the full time stewards. I told the BA and ST to kiss off I’ll do what I want. They work for me. It’s funny cuz the BA comes to me too. He’ll never admit it but everyone knows.

twoweeled

So so true, been down that road. I was not recognizing as steward after I decided to run in an election against the ST. I barely lost and I work in a small center with only about 80 people and our local has 6k membership.

That’s why the union made a closed system instead of facilitating an environment of knowledge that allows the true best to rise to the top.

After the election management pulled me in the office and showed me a letter from the union naming all the stewards and I was not on the list.
I demanded they put me on the list. The ST and BA requested that I prove I was a steward. How the hell do I do that? The election was nothing more than a show of hands before the shift started. I only have 7 people on my sort.
I demanded in a certified letter to have a current election on my sort to verify my status. I requested the eboard run an investigation on my sort to verify my status. All of my co workers and even management acknowledged I was a long time recognized steward.
The ST and BA refused to hold another election and no one wanted to run against me. The union decided to appointed a steward to the position against our bylaws. The member they appointed sent an email and cc me that he recused himself because he stated he has always known Me to be the main steward. So now we don’t have a steward on my shift. So how the hell is that good for the members.

Everyone still comes to me even the full time stewards. I told the BA and ST to kiss off I’ll do what I want. They work for me. It’s funny cuz the BA comes to me too. He’ll never admit it but everyone knows.
I'm sure this happens in some locals. It's a shame. So many people do not realize, some Locals want who they want. The reason they want them, just adds to the problem. Some Locals don't want stewards, because they will raise to much hell.

Inthegame

Prior to your run against the ST, were you elected to the position of steward?
If yes, are your steward terms of defined lengths and were you expired or not?
Depending on these responses, you could have legit charges.