Lando82

LOL thanks, I've worked in Utility's for some of the Big Boys AT&T and so on and the 5 n 10 points have already been branded on me. It sounds like this is a legit opportunity and with peak coming I imagine I can get my 30 in quickly seeing I'm hired prior to October 15th?...from what I've read

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Hello all,

I've scoured the threads about new hires and cant seem to find any consistent answers. I start "training/driver school" Monday for a FT Permanent Package Car Driver in the Denver area. I don't know anyone currently employed by UPS and looking for advice. The interview didn't contain a single question, just fill out these forms, get a DOT card and driving test passed then show up Monday morning. I'm hoping to find some people that work these hubs and know the Local etc. Is this the normal process for this position in this area, it just seems like a very spray and pray approach from the companies side. Is there a desperate need for drivers? After training is complete the 30 days begin, I'm hoping its pretty consistent and after seniority is gained is this T-S 40+ a week driving a route? so far it seems a bit too simple to be that simple. Thanks

Don’t forget to put a crease in those
Pants and spit shine those boots

Your job could depend on it

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
oops!

upload_2018-9-10_20-59-48.jpeg

CoffeeStainedUniform

...The interview didn't contain a single question, just fill out these forms, get a DOT card and driving test passed then show up Monday morning. I'm hoping to find some people that work these hubs and know the Local etc. Is this the normal process for this position in this area, it just seems like a very spray and pray approach from the companies side. Is there a desperate need for drivers?...
Yes and no. When a position needs to be filled they hire just about anyone. The process of going through preload/gaining seniority culls out most everyone they dont want. It's not easy, and you dont have much protection during the process. Goodluck!

Lando82

Yes and no. When a position needs to be filled they hire just about anyone. The process of going through preload/gaining seniority culls out most everyone they dont want. It's not easy, and you dont have much protection during the process. Goodluck!

can you elaborate on the going through pre-load/gaining seniority? Is this due to performance or what I read about working people 1-2 days week and basically starving us out (which is my biggest concern as one can only work PT for so long)? Not to be cocky but I'm experienced with driving all over town in a big junk truck to do stressful high demand physical labor. By no means the same but relatively transferrable.

Thanks

Last edited:

CoffeeStainedUniform

can you elaborate on the going through pre-load/gaining seniority? Is this due to performance or what I read about working people 1-2 days week and basically starving us out (which is my biggest concern as one can only work PT for so long)? Not to be cocky but I'm experienced with driving all over town in a big junk truck to do stressful high demand physical labor. By no means the same but relatively transferrable.

Thanks
I am not experienced in your center and how they hired you. My best advice is to show up every day a little early, freshly shaved, boots shining and procede to work with urgency and a good attitude.

This close to peak you'll get plenty of hours in a couple months time. Not being a "seasonal" driver means you wont be fired in January and you should be pretty well set. Congrats, now don't screw it up.

If you were hired as a driver, you need to drive 30 days (can take as long as 90 days to do it) while they evaluate your performance. They want to see how fast/safe you can be. Talk to the senior drivers to get tips for your route, they'll help out a lot.

Lando82

I am not experienced in your center and how they hired you. My best advice is to show up every day a little early, freshly shaved, boots shining and procede to work with urgency and a good attitude.

This close to peak you'll get plenty of hours in a couple months time. Not being a "seasonal" driver means you wont be fired in January and you should be pretty well set. Congrats, now don't screw it up.

If you were hired as a driver, you need to drive 30 days (can take as long as 90 days to do it) while they evaluate your performance. They want to see how fast/safe you can be. Talk to the senior drivers to get tips for your route, they'll help out a lot.

Thank you, I appreciate all yalls tips and support!

Siveriano

To be honest. they will work your butt until January, and thats if you are a ok driver.
They will come and tell you to do better every day to reach a imaginary goal that some how keeps increasing by the minute.
I started about this time and i must say, unless you are Berry Allen, you must do your best every day and have a backup plan. They wont tell you if you are getting the job and you wont make book before oct 1st, so its all on how much they need an extra driver and how good you are.
follow instructions and give your very best and try to always say yes to whatever they ask. when done call your sup and ask if anyone needs help, that way they will think you are a good guy.

Ps. work those 70 hours on peak.

Lando82

To be honest. they will work your butt until January, and thats if you are a ok driver.
They will come and tell you to do better every day to reach a imaginary goal that some how keeps increasing by the minute.
I started about this time and i must say, unless you are Berry Allen, you must do your best every day and have a backup plan. They wont tell you if you are getting the job and you wont make book before oct 1st, so its all on how much they need an extra driver and how good you are.
follow instructions and give your very best and try to always say yes to whatever they ask. when done call your sup and ask if anyone needs help, that way they will think you are a good guy.

Ps. work those 70 hours on peak.

By making book do you mean qualify become a Union member? How I understood the contract was that if I can get a route in prior to Oct 15th I can qualify on the 31st day even during peak.

Thanks

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
By making book do you mean qualify become a Union member? How I understood the contract was that if I can get a route in prior to Oct 15th I can qualify on the 31st day even during peak.

Thanks
That is unfortunately not the case for the majority of local supplements I have seen, ask someone from the building yourself though.

In my building, most if not all of the seasonal and pre-probationary drivers were thrown back into preload and subsequently quit. So in any case you should also see what the actual PT-to-FT waitlist is, it could be 5 weeks, it could be 10 years.

Brownsocks

Just a dog

Thanks
Correct. The problem is you are starting under a contract with a new tier of driver that hasn't passed yet . Not sure if you will be RPCD or a 22.4

Brownee

Gearing up for Peak. 5 Days classroom training. Following week or more likely the week thereafter, on road with a "trainer" for 3 days running a training route. The next week, solo. Probably will not get 30 days before November. Then "peak" interval starts.

Snack

The problem is you are starting under a contract with a new tier of driver that hasn't passed yet . Not sure if you will be RPCD or a 22.4

Is this true? I'm currently waiting to begin my qualifying period after signing a permanent driver bid sheet in August. The sheet said nothing about 22.4. How could I have signed up for a position that doesn't exist yet?

Antfizz

Gearing up for Peak. 5 Days classroom training. Following week or more likely the week thereafter, on road with a "trainer" for 3 days running a training route. The next week, solo. Probably will not get 30 days before November. Then "peak" interval starts.
Hi, my interviewer told me there is approx 3 modules online I have to do by next week "precourse to the integrad" and am not quite sure where to find or access this. He was not very clear. Did you have to do a precourse?