11.19igrad

Hey guys so I officially signed new hire paperwork today & start training Monday. For 3 days I'll be in Brooklyn, 1 day at intergrad in Long Island & last day at my normal hub in Manhattan north.
any tips /suggestions for intergrad?How is the intergrad training in Long Island NY?
Also got hired in as a 22.4 driver in case your wondering.

#1. remember to check in every morning with the person at the hotel before u get on the shuttle.
#2. PLEASE KNOW that the handbrake is apparently adjustable, you have to need 2-3 fingers to push it down and up for it to be tight enough. this is part of the pre-trip. Read my post on this.
#3. DRILL THIS ONE IN YOUR HEAD. On hills- especially, but always, double-check all your gears are correct, parking brake up and your front wheels are turned towards the curb. when you get in a hurry and frustrated and are ready to bolt a stop off, REMEMBER ME! IM FIRED RIGHT NOW. because I didn't know about adjusting the handbrake and wasn't against the curb because it was a tight col de sac, etc- (another story) but, park extra safe, walk it off, double-check the truck is in park and keep that handbrake tight. Honk extra. You can never honk enough. especially in apartments, people are home a lot now. Don't think cars are empty. Imagine some :censored2: is in them ready to back out without looking.
#4. get a tape gun, back up roll of duck tape. Use an electricians bag. backpacks will piss you off. always have change to buy ice in the heat. you will need 3-5 big cups of ice to pour gatorade on. alternate gatorade and water.
#5. save 2 months of bills right away. if something goes wrong, the union will usually get you back on, thats what im waiting on, but have a cushion for bills.
#6. always report any accident. its the worst feeling, but you have too.
#7. always constantly ask other drivers to show you things, don't expect management to help you remember all the methods. ask ask ask.
#8. when u see kids, go 5mph honk more. always check under truck especially when u see kids.

ill think of more stuff. its a big deal, a big undertaking. sorting your truck, setting up 15-20 stops, writing big numbers on anything on the floor. I'll type some more tomorrow.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Old salts like you and I were just given the keys and a map and told don’t miss anything or kill any one , now get going ,, that was our intergrad

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Old salts like you and I were just given the keys and a map and told don’t miss anything or kill any one , now get going ,, that was our intergrad

That was also the way that I started; however, there were two of us who started at the same time who were sent to driving school after about 10 years on the job. It was two weeks of classroom time at full pay with one of those days each week spent on road with a bid driver. I spent most of those two weeks helping out the newbies, both hourly and management, primarily learning how to use the DIAD. I was put up in a hotel and was paid mileage (twice) between my home center and the training site. I was also given the grand sum of $10 per diem. Truth be told, it was a waste of time and money, but it beat the heck out of running a route for those two weeks.

rod

Retired 22 years
When I was finally able to bid off my town route onto a rural route the guy I took it over from (who had went into feeders) told me flat out he wouldn't help me-- that I would learn it quicker if I learned it on my own. No maps- a card box that was totally useless thanks to his secret way of writing directions- no phone calls. Management didn't even ride with me for the first few days because they had no idea how the route was ran. I almost quit the first week I ran it I was so flustered--but eventually it got to be the best route ever.

Seymour Packages

Hey guys so I officially signed new hire paperwork today & start training Monday. For 3 days I'll be in Brooklyn, 1 day at intergrad in Long Island & last day at my normal hub in Manhattan north.
any tips /suggestions for intergrad?How is the intergrad training in Long Island NY?
Also got hired in as a 22.4 driver in case your wondering.

Are they running any more classes in NY after yours? Are they doing anything special due to the pandemic?

Tucker88

Banned
I’m in the Northeast also. I passed my road test Saturday now I need to go get my DOT this week and hopefully start intergrad this week also. I’m going to be a package driver and I was told because of covid it will be online.

Tucker88

Banned
I start Integrad Monday for package driver. I will be doing 3 days online and 1day at the center. I know I need to very well know my 5s and 10s verbally. Is there any tips I could use to work on before class starts to get a head start. I’m looking to be ahead of the game and we’ll prepared? Thanks in advance

I start Integrad Monday for package driver. I will be doing 3 days online and 1day at the center. I know I need to very well know my 5s and 10s verbally. Is there any tips I could use to work on before class starts to get a head start. I’m looking to be ahead of the game and we’ll prepared? Thanks in advance
Study hard

21Savage

As long as you know your 5's and 10's you'll pass. Everything else is just multiple choice bs that you can do over and over again until you get it right.

If there's an on road test, just don't hit a curb.

Nah

Get a good night's sleep on Sunday. Really, if you know your fives and tens, the best thing you can do is be ready to learn.

Hot Carl

So I went through the online class about a month ago and I've put together a comprehensive list of everything you'll need to do in order to be able to pass. Bear in mind, it's been a month and I've been focusing on qualifying ever since, so I don't remember everything.

Anyway, the list is as follows:

1. Show up

Hope that helps.

Air Recovery

Good luck. Intergrad and the 5 stops you do at intergration station is literally nothing like real life.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
NH8djqGS8nOy.gif

Tucker88

Banned
I also have a 1 week vacation in August . I wonder if they will let me keep if I let them know now. Or because I’m new I’m going to have to cancel my already paid vacation ...

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I also have a 1 week vacation in August . I wonder if they will let me keep if I let them know now. Or because I’m new I’m going to have to cancel my already paid vacation ...
Vacation is gone. I would cash it in so you dont lose it.

Tucker88

Banned
Vacation is gone. I would cash it in so you dont lose it.
I meant to say I have a already paid vacation Trip coming up in August but now I start a new job at UPS I don’t know if they will let me take it off because I’m new and have no earned vacation time yet

specter208

does anyone know where to find the most current 5s and 10 point commentary? HR gave me two papers with slightly different wording on each. is it on UPSers? thanks