Headed to Intergrad

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by HFolb23, Sep 16, 2016.

1. 11.19igrad

11.19igrad Member

#1. remember to check in every morning with the person at the hotel before u get on the shuttle.
    #2. PLEASE KNOW that the handbrake is apparently adjustable, you have to need 2-3 fingers to push it down and up for it to be tight enough. this is part of the pre-trip. Read my post on this.
    #3. DRILL THIS ONE IN YOUR HEAD. On hills- especially, but always, double-check all your gears are correct, parking brake up and your front wheels are turned towards the curb. when you get in a hurry and frustrated and are ready to bolt a stop off, REMEMBER ME! IM FIRED RIGHT NOW. because I didn't know about adjusting the handbrake and wasn't against the curb because it was a tight col de sac, etc- (another story) but, park extra safe, walk it off, double-check the truck is in park and keep that handbrake tight. Honk extra. You can never honk enough. especially in apartments, people are home a lot now. Don't think cars are empty. Imagine some :censored2: is in them ready to back out without looking.
    #4. get a tape gun, back up roll of duck tape. Use an electricians bag. backpacks will piss you off. always have change to buy ice in the heat. you will need 3-5 big cups of ice to pour gatorade on. alternate gatorade and water.
    #5. save 2 months of bills right away. if something goes wrong, the union will usually get you back on, thats what im waiting on, but have a cushion for bills.
    #6. always report any accident. its the worst feeling, but you have too.
    #7. always constantly ask other drivers to show you things, don't expect management to help you remember all the methods. ask ask ask.
    #8. when u see kids, go 5mph honk more. always check under truck especially when u see kids.

ill think of more stuff. its a big deal, a big undertaking. sorting your truck, setting up 15-20 stops, writing big numbers on anything on the floor. I'll type some more tomorrow.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  2. rod

rod #1 on Upstates "list"

Is it easy to cheat? If it wasn't for cheat notes I would have never made it through High School.

3. 11.19igrad

11.19igrad Member

#1. remember to check in every morning with the person at the hotel before u get on the shuttle.
    #2. PLEASE KNOW that the handbrake is apparently adjustable, you have to need 2-3 fingers to push it down and up for it to be tight enough. this is part of the pre-trip. Read my post on this.
    #3. DRILL THIS ONE IN YOUR HEAD. On hills- especially, but always, double-check all your gears are correct, parking brake up and your front wheels are turned towards the curb. when you get in a hurry and frustrated and are ready to bolt a stop off, REMEMBER ME! IM FIRED RIGHT NOW. because I didn't know about adjusting the handbrake and wasn't against the curb because it was a tight col de sac, etc- (another story) but, park extra safe, walk it off, double-check the truck is in park and keep that handbrake tight. Honk extra. You can never honk enough. especially in apartments, people are home a lot now. Don't think cars are empty. Imagine some :censored2: is in them ready to back out without looking.
    #4. get a tape gun, back up roll of duck tape. Use an electricians bag. backpacks will piss you off. always have change to buy ice in the heat. you will need 3-5 big cups of ice to pour gatorade on. alternate gatorade and water.
    #5. save 2 months of bills right away. if something goes wrong, the union will usually get you back on, thats what im waiting on, but have a cushion for bills.
    #6. always report any accident. its the worst feeling, but you have too.
    #7. always constantly ask other drivers to show you things, don't expect management to help you remember all the methods. ask ask ask.
    #8. when u see kids, go 5mph honk more. always check under truck especially when u see kids.

ill think of more stuff. its a big deal, a big undertaking. sorting your truck, setting up 15-20 stops, writing big numbers on anything on the floor. I'll type some more tomorrow.

4. Covemastah

Covemastah And the Reign Of Terror Continues!! Pats # 6 !!!

Old salts like you and I were just given the keys and a map and told don’t miss anything or kill any one , now get going ,, that was our intergrad

5. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Well-Known Member

That was also the way that I started; however, there were two of us who started at the same time who were sent to driving school after about 10 years on the job. It was two weeks of classroom time at full pay with one of those days each week spent on road with a bid driver. I spent most of those two weeks helping out the newbies, both hourly and management, primarily learning how to use the DIAD. I was put up in a hotel and was paid mileage (twice) between my home center and the training site. I was also given the grand sum of $10 per diem. Truth be told, it was a waste of time and money, but it beat the heck out of running a route for those two weeks.

6. over9five

over9five Moderator Staff Member

Wait, you got a map???

7. Covemastah

Covemastah And the Reign Of Terror Continues!! Pats # 6 !!!

And a beaten up 1968 p- 600 with wooden shelves round clutch & brake pedal and a padlock on bulkhead , I thought wow. This car is 20 yrs old and I couldn’t believe that was in the fleet

8. rod

rod #1 on Upstates "list"

When I was finally able to bid off my town route onto a rural route the guy I took it over from (who had went into feeders) told me flat out he wouldn't help me-- that I would learn it quicker if I learned it on my own. No maps- a card box that was totally useless thanks to his secret way of writing directions- no phone calls. Management didn't even ride with me for the first few days because they had no idea how the route was ran. I almost quit the first week I ran it I was so flustered--but eventually it got to be the best route ever.

9. Are they running any more classes in NY after yours? Are they doing anything special due to the pandemic?

10. Wally

Wally BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

Should be getting new drivers.

11. Br0wnBandit

Br0wnBandit New Member

Currently in Intergtad with the Northeast District right now. There's a few new drivers for New York, and I'm sure they'll be more after that.