Are Unions ethical?

• Total voters

Proud To Be A Scab

Commie Unionists are Traitors
You just sound like a whiny lil bitch. Punch in and collect your union paycheck for being a scab and go home. You lost the right to complain about anything the moment you became a POS scab.

The way I see it, you've lost your right to a paycheck the moment you joined the gang.

Nah
I'm just a lowly pleb on the totem pole letting the readers on this site know what's up with the hub I work at.

The union members that are also concerned have already told management about the daily drunk along with telling their union steward. The steward knows all too well of the drunk, he used to also talk bad about the drunk and complain about him before Mr. Drunk became a union member.

Management wants him gone while it's the steward who's pretending like nothing's wrong and wanting the drunk to continue punching in every day while smelling like a liquor store. In this case it's the union who's causing the unsafe work environment, not management.

The Union isn't causing anything, the drunk is. Management is facilitating it by not doing anything.

The steward is a non-factor because management has never backed down from actually violating the contract in egregious ways, so I find it hard to believe they're shaking in their boots because of this guy.

In any case, the steward is not the Union. Have any of your unionized coworkers contacted the Business Agent?

Have you filed an OSHA complaint?
Have you contacted the corporate ethics hotline (800-220-4126)?
Have you spoken with anyone else within HR?

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
I seen both sides of story. Just do something on Monday if he smells of alcohol.

Getting canned, going to jail, whatever it takes to kick that drunk guy in the acorns to find rehab or another job

Proud To Be A Scab

The Union isn't causing anything, the drunk is. Management is facilitating it by not doing anything.

The steward is a non-factor because management has never backed down from actually violating the contract in egregious ways, so I find it hard to believe they're shaking in their boots because of this guy.

In any case, the steward is not the Union. Have any of your unionized coworkers contacted the Business Agent?

Have you filed an OSHA complaint?
Have you contacted the corporate ethics hotline (800-220-4126)?
Have you spoken with anyone else within HR?

The steward, who's been there for several years intimidates management through threats of grievances nearly daily. He acts like clocking in and working is way too much to ask. He wants to be moved to a different location nearly every day and throws a temper tantrum until he gets his way. Management has already attempted to fire the drunk while the steward, who is an ambassador of, and the face of the union, yells for all to hear that he won't accept the termination.

Other union members, from what they tell me, have contacted the union office and spoke to whoever it is that's higher than the steward. I assume it's the business agent like you mentioned.

Yes, OSHA has been called in before about a separate issue involving ingress and egress. That issue was handled and taken care of. Union members have told me that OSHA has also been notified about the current drunk as well. I don't know what the status is about that though.

Nah
The steward, who's been there for several years intimidates management through threats of grievances nearly daily. He acts like clocking in and working is way too much to ask. He wants to be moved to a different location nearly every day and throws a temper tantrum until he gets his way. Management has already attempted to fire the drunk while the steward, who is an ambassador of, and the face of the union, yells for all to hear that he won't accept the termination.

Other union members, from what they tell me, have contacted the union office and spoke to whoever it is that's higher than the steward. I assume it's the business agent like you mentioned.

Yes, OSHA has been called in before about a separate issue involving ingress and egress. That issue was handled and taken care of. Union members have told me that OSHA has also been notified about the current drunk as well. I don't know what the status is about that though.

I don't know how many times you have to be told this, since I'm not the first one to say it, but if he's really drunk then he's a liability, and management would not, under any circumstances, be "intimidated" by a steward into not firing him.

I don't know why your management won't fire him. It's not because they're afraid of the steward, I can guarantee that. Maybe the drunk is someone's nephew or something, I don't know.

Why don't you file an OSHA complaint yourself? OSHA won't be able to ignore it if multiple people are filing.

And call the hotline. Seriously. Do it right now, you can stay anonymous. 800-220-4126.

And join the Union. You accuse us of being a gang, but at the same time you're stealing from us. You're taking what the Union negotiated for free. If you believe half of what you're saying, then you can clearly see how much security you'd have if you paid dues.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
what’s a native?
I reckon it's dem dang injians...

1redskins-logo_original_crop_north.jpg

Proud To Be A Scab

I don't know how many times you have to be told this, since I'm not the first one to say it, but if he's really drunk then he's a liability, and management would not, under any circumstances, be "intimidated" by a steward into not firing him.

I don't know why your management won't fire him. It's not because they're afraid of the steward, I can guarantee that. Maybe the drunk is someone's nephew or something, I don't know.

Why don't you file an OSHA complaint yourself? OSHA won't be able to ignore it if multiple people are filing.

And call the hotline. Seriously. Do it right now, you can stay anonymous. 800-220-4126.

And join the Union. You accuse us of being a gang, but at the same time you're stealing from us. You're taking what the Union negotiated for free. If you believe half of what you're saying, then you can clearly see how much security you'd have if you paid dues.

I did just get off the phone after calling in anonymously. Thanks to someone who recently posted the number earlier. I've looked online to no avail, and here on this site the number was edited out.

No, I'll never join the dark side either, ever.

Maybe if the good union members crack down on their own bad apples more it might happen. But it won't, never will unions and several of its members not result to violence and retaliate against those just looking to pay bills and give their family a better life.

If you're unaware of what I speak...all it takes is a simple web search and looking into the subject

UPS writes my checks, not union thugs.

UPSER1987

This steward sounds like he’s a scared candy ass. You must have a weak management team because stewards don’t run smile*. Being under the influence is one of the easiest infractions to get rid of someone.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
UPS could have never signed the union contract. UPS could also end the contract as well. I don't work for the union, I work for UPS. Union hasn't done jack squat in putting currency funds into my bank account, UPS did.

The violence from the members would be on the nightly spin news if UPS denied the contract too. Stop pretending that union members are angels. Also, the majority of my coworkers automatically assume that I'm union. Just goes to show the cult member's ignorance.

Are you aware of what the company has done to the benefits of the non union employees?

Also,

Why doesn't UPS leave the CBA and pay 15 dollars a hour to the drivers like Amazon if they are able to? You are aware that eventually the teamsters would strike. That threat of a work stoppage or as you call it... Blackmailing management is what gets you the pay and benefits you enjoy

Nah
That's y I stated this... unions in those states are usually weaker than the rest of the nation...

Not always though. In my non-RTW previous local, stewards would vehemently discourage grievances for supervisors working under 20 minutes. In my new RTW local, an employee came to the steward with 2 minutes of time worked by a supervisor, and the steward said "every little bit adds up."

Curiously, supervisors working was rampant in my previous building. In my current one, it's unheard of.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

Grievances are the legitimate means of enforcing the contract. Grievances are not acts of violence, they pose no threat to any member of management, thus they are not a form intimidation. Now, if you had proof that said steward were making threats of physical violence, that would be intimidation and coercion, and if he were using compromising photos of members of management to get them to do something against their will, that would be an example of blackmail.

You are upset that the steward is doing the one thing he is supposed to do, and mischaracterizing it as something illegal or unethical. You clearly have no clue how union/management relations work, neither do you understand employment laws, nor criminal laws for that matter.

Don't join the union, that's your right, but don't let your lack of understanding cause you to slander unions or the steward who is just doing his duty.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Why are you people still entertaining this obvious troll?

False claims that go unchallenged pose a threat of being taken seriously by others who don't know better. That and in the very unlikely case this person is actually serious, it's possible he just needs someone to show him the errors in his thinking.

542thruNthru

False claims that go unchallenged pose a threat of being taken seriously by others who don't know better. That and in the very unlikely case this person is actually serious, it's possible he just needs someone to show him the errors in his thinking.

I guess, but its only still going because people are responding to this idiot. What needed to be said was said in the first 2 pages. We're on 7 now lol.